Batteries constantly dying even though on trickle charge - help!

OliveOyl

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

My son was exactly like this at 18.

Then he joined the Army.

End of problem, amazing what Basic Training achieved in 14 weeks, though by pretty brutal methods.

I'm still like it at 61.

In fact its getting noticeably worse...

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

Its not Brutal when I joined in 74 it was brutal they cant even shout at them now whats that all about?

Right enough this was 20 years ago. I was thinking of the locker inspections where, if the stuff wasn't exactly as required, the corporal pulled it all out onto the floor, gave it a good trampling and said "Next inspection in two hours. Get on with it, you still here?"

7 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Right enough this was 20 years ago. I was thinking of the locker inspections where, if the stuff wasn't exactly as required, the corporal pulled it all out onto the floor, gave it a good trampling and said "Next inspection in two hours. Get on with it, you still here?"

I have had that and the taken behind the barracks etc etc it does sharpen you up a bit

Once there is some solar available things should improve! Til then probably best to consider batteries as disposable OR take them to a garage/vehicle electricians for a charge once a week.

Yes the charger needs replacing with either a beefier one or a OEM smpsu set to 13.8 and left on 24/7.

Chargers for the car parts industry often switch OFF after 24 hours on the assumption that if it's not charged by then the battery is not flat but dead, a false assumption in the recreational boating market. 

A battery is a bit like a fuel tank, you can't take out what's not there! UNLIKE a fuel tank leave it empty for long and you buy a replacement battery.

4 minutes ago, Arthur Brown said:

Once there is some solar available things should improve! Til then probably best to consider batteries as disposable OR take them to a garage/vehicle electricians for a charge once a week.

Yes the charger needs replacing with either a beefier one or a OEM smpsu set to 13.8 and left on 24/7.

Chargers for the car parts industry often switch OFF after 24 hours on the assumption that if it's not charged by then the battery is not flat but dead, a false assumption in the recreational boating market. 

A battery is a bit like a fuel tank, you can't take out what's not there! UNLIKE a fuel tank leave it empty for long and you buy a replacement battery.

Fully agree but at this stage there are considerations that Olive has alluded to in this topic that makes the charger or solar a non-starter. I fear at the moment its trying to make what they have do soem kind of a job for them.

• Greenie 1

50 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think this may have been avoided if the "smart" charger was turned off and on again each day to force it back to "bulk" charge. In short I think its a very stupid charger ruining batteries.

I've found with my caravan battery that I get the best charging regime over the winter by having the charger on a timeswitch. 

Would that work in this situation?

Please can you all give Tony a lot of reputation points from me (as I  don't know how to do it) for giving up his time to come and review the boat electrics and dying batteries?

I am interested to read you responses to his post, especially the one about putting the charger on a timer (sounds eminently sensible to me as a 'know-nothing' person, in the light of Tony's advice).

Also, can you all let me know what you think of the hyperlink posted by Arthur, as I don't know what it means? :mellow:

• Greenie 2

On 03/03/2017 at 21:01, Arthur Brown said:

Where the **** has the delete post button gone?

7 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

Also, can you all let me know what you think of the hyperlink posted by Arthur, as I don't know what it means? :mellow:

If you know what you are doing, monitor the battery state of charge and are not tempted to "turn it up a bit" it should do what is needed but with human input. I am not sure that is ideal in this case.

It is a DC power supply with an adjustable voltage and a reasonable current (amps) output so as long as you can measure the voltage and set it appropriately as required it will  do a similar job to  proper multi-stage charger. However it looks too "open" to me for use in a damp engine room and I have doubts about the life of the voltage adjuster with frequent adjustments.

The way I would use it on open batteries would be to set the voltage to 14.4 and hold it there until the charging amps had dropped to (in your sons case only) about 2 to 3 amps. then I would set it to 13.6 until the next morning. Then repeat the above but once a week set it to about 15+ volts for a couple of hours or until the battery started to get warm, topping up as required. Then back to 14.4 and so on.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Where the **** has the delete post button gone?

If you know what you are doing, monitor the battery state of charge and are not tempted to "turn it up a bit" it should do what is needed but with human input. I am not sure that is ideal in this case.

It is a DC power supply with an adjustable voltage and a reasonable current (amps) output so as long as you can measure the voltage and set it appropriately as required it will  do a similar job to  proper multi-stage charger. However it looks too "open" to me for use in a damp engine room and I have doubts about the life of the voltage adjuster with frequent adjustments.

The way I would use it on open batteries would be to set the voltage to 14.4 and hold it there until the charging amps had dropped to (in your sons case only) about 2 to 3 amps. then I would set it to 13.6 until the next morning. Then repeat the above but once a week set it to about 15+ volts for a couple of hours or until the battery started to get warm, topping up as required. Then back to 14.4 and so on.

Thanks for translating Tony.

I think the timer suggestion will be the best fit for now.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Which of Tony's posts are we greenifying? THIS is why we need the post numbers back!

This one. Now isn't that more effective than a number?

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No not really. With a number I could have just gone immediately to it and administered a greenie. 

And with a link you just click on it. Don't have to go looking even if it's several pages back. 

22 minutes ago, WotEver said:

And with a link you just click on it. Don't have to go looking even if it's several pages back. 

You're still missing my point. There WAS no link until you posted one. TM could easily have just stated the Post Number, had there been one.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You're still missing my point. There WAS no link until you posted one. TM could easily have just stated the Post Number, had there been one.

No, you're missing how easy it is. TM could have provided the link just as easily as a post number. They're as easy as each other. In fact the link is easier as you don't have to remember a number. 

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I was only pointing out how to award a greeny to posts in general.

Dont you lot drag me into your bickering ;)

• Greenie 1