Chainsaws at the ready....Doris coming

matty40s

Featured Posts

Thursday will see the 4th named storm of the Winter, Doris, hit the UK.

It is expected that the worst winds will be early morning to lunchtime hitting through NW and Midlands, with a possible sting jet feature. This will give unusually high wind speeds for inland areas.

Batten down the hatches and get your ducks off the roof!!

Posting now as site maintenance shutdown tommorow.

Thursday will see the 4th named storm of the Winter, Doris, hit the UK.

It is expected that the worst winds will be early morning to lunchtime hitting through NW and Midlands, with a possible sting jet feature. This will give unusually high wind speeds for inland areas.

Batten down the hatches and get your ducks off the roof!!

Posting now as site maintenance shutdown tommorow.

I have seen warning for 60mph gusts which is not great news, any update from your often more accurate predictions?

I have seen warning for 60mph gusts which is not great news, any update from your often more accurate predictions?

The pressure is expected to drop significantly and still be dropping as it crosses the North. This could lead to explosive cyclogenesis over a small area to the SW of the low centre.

It is too early to predict the exact track but could be similar to the 2014 storm which demolished Crewe Station. Current tracking is NW, Mersey/ Cheshire, N Midlands and East of the Pennines to have the worst of the winds, possibly 70-80mph even inland.

The pressure is expected to drop significantly and still be dropping as it crosses the North. This could lead to explosive cyclogenesis over a small area to the SW of the low centre.

It is too early to predict the exact track but could be similar to the 2014 storm which demolished Crewe Station. Current tracking is NW, Mersey/ Cheshire, N Midlands and East of the Pennines to have the worst of the winds, possibly 70-80mph even inland.

Birmingham?

Bugger thats bad, I could be busy tomorrow

Updated and upgraded met office warning

Updated amber warning

Issued at: 09:54 on Wed 22 Feb 2017

Valid from: 06:00 on Thu 23 Feb 2017

Valid to: 20:00 on Thu 23 Feb 2017

Some very strong winds are expected on Thursday in association with storm Doris with gusts of 60-70 mph likely, and 70-80 mph on coasts and hills. Whilst the strongest winds look to be only short-lived, damage to structures, interruptions to power supplies and widespread disruption to travel networks are likely, with a danger of injury from flying debris. Trees are also likely to be damaged or blown over. Heavy rain is also likely through Thursday as well as some snow over high ground as the system clears eastwards. These may prove additional hazards. The warning has been updated to extend the at-risk area southwards.

There is still some uncertainty about the track of storm Doris, but increasing confidence that there will be widespread disruption across parts of England and Wales.

Covers: East Midlands, East of England, London & South East England, North West England, South West England, Wales, West Midlands, Yorkshire & Humber

www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings

That really big storm in the late eighties blew my dustbin lid off! Of course, that problem has been resolved by the change to wheelie bins with a hinged lid, but I don't want to be complacent. If it's gonna be that bad again, I might put the chinstay down on my hat.

I was driving home to Epsom from a training course the morning after that 1987 storm.

No signs of any damage until about a mile from home, when the road was partially blocked with fallen trees, and lots of fences down.

When I got home my ridge tiles had gone AWOL and part of my garden fence was embedded in the door of my neighbours camper van!

That really big storm in the late eighties blew my dustbin lid off! Of course, that problem has been resolved by the change to wheelie bins with a hinged lid, but I don't want to be complacent. If it's gonna be that bad again, I might put the chinstay down on my hat.

Yes I'm expecting to see a few empty crisp packets being blown along the village street here too. These warnings seem to come tediously often, and most turn out to be a damp squib.

Maybe this is gonna be the first of many that was actually right.

• Greenie 1

I remember the watching Flightradar24 during the last big wind storm, 2015 I think. It was about 11pm when two Uneasyjet A319's came up from the south, one from Barcelona and one from Toulouse, both bound for Gatwick where both tried about 3 times to land and both aborted because of wind sheer. They then stood off circling for about a half hour waiting for a lull in the wind which didn't happen. They both tried once more to land and both again aborted. They stood off circling again for a while and then suddenly peeled off, one went Bristol airport and one to Stansted. Again after a couple of attempts they tried and still couldn't land there either. One then tried Birmingham airport the other East Midlands, still no joy. Ages later they both returned to the Gatwick area and stood off circling, both tried to land again and aborted. Obviously now running short of fuel so wherever they made their next attempt to land they had to be absolutely certain that they could. They both suddenly peeled off and made a straight as a die bee-line for Amsterdam where they both landed safely. Those two flights were fairly short, Barcelona about 1.1/2 hrs, Toulouse about 1 hr. They were both about 3.1/2 hrs trying to land.

Must have been a it nerve racking for the passengers. But those pilots were mighty clever chaps. Beware of Airbus A319's and A320's, they don't like wind sheer. Boeing 737's didn't seem too bothered. Ryanair's 737-8's were still landing ok.