Chainsaws at the ready....Doris coming

matty40s

Featured Posts

Here in the Fens, the min. temperature tomorrow is forecast as 39 F., so I hope we'll avoid snow.

I think you will, because your temperature is in Fahrenheit and it appears to be metric snow as the forecast is 20-30cm. Now, if it had forecast as 8 inches to a foot you might have been in trouble!

I think you will, because your temperature is in Fahrenheit and it appears to be metric snow as the forecast is 20-30cm. Now, if it had forecast as 8 inches to a foot you might have been in trouble!

Bluddy 'ell aye....thanks for that reassurance.

Blasted metric snow, coming in from abroad and covering our fields...

well thanks for the heads up.

I would never have known it was going to be windy if you hadn't told me. :rolleyes:

Well. I always note matty's weather information as I know he keeps a close eye on forecasts. Am hoping warnings are worse than the event. Was bad enough cycling against last night's winds and very gusty on Beeston cut last night.

Well. I always note matty's weather information as I know he keeps a close eye on forecasts. Am hoping warnings are worse than the event. Was bad enough cycling against last night's winds and very gusty on Beeston cut last night.

Same here, doing what I do having a heads up from matty is useful, as he trawls various weather sites he can often be more up to date than the met office app.

The wind speed here has dropped to dead calm and a light drizzle has started as hurricane Doris storms in.

I was driving home to Epsom from a training course the morning after that 1987 storm.

We had an early morning flight from Heathrow to Schiphol to look at our boat "Friesland" that day. It was an eerie drive. The plane did take off OK, and we seemed to arrive almost before we left. The Dutch has closed the road that crosses the Isselmeer, and the sign said "Warning - dangerous Vogels" (birds!!!).

Yesterday we had a new fence put up in Twickenham - this should test it's strength.

Hmmm sun's out now and I can see a sharp line across the sky in the distance with different cloud formations on each side. Dark and brooding on the far side and white fluffy clouds scudding along on this side.

Not doubt that is the storm receding... ;)

OMG !!!

Sally Nugent on BBC news commented that snow in Scotland, described as 30-50mm deep was CAUSING THE TRAFFIC TO SLOW DOWN ! ohmy.pngohmy.png

Well that's a Good Thing really innit. Better than careering along at the same speed as in dry conditions.

A bit like people criticising motorists for slowing down and 'rubber necking' as they pass a road accident site. I think slowing down when passing a throng of blue lights, fire engines, ambulances etc is plain common sense and considerate driving. If I were involved in a road traffic accident I'd far rather the traffic slowed down as it passed by than hacked past at 80mph.

(Blimey I went off on one there didn't I..!)