The BW (BTC) "County class" narrow boats - what if one was built today?

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Here is a poser question. Designed in 1951 working drawings were made of a replacement boat to the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company produced steel narrow boat pairs, the drawings were refined until a final set was issued in 1952, however as far as is known no yard was asked to quote for the boats. They differed slightly from the previous boats having an overall depth of 4ft 6" with bows more similar to a small Woolwich and the cabin was fitted with raised handrails. The counter was based it seems on the small Woolwich. No engine was recommended.

The drawings surfaced modified in later years with a bluff fore end added similar to Pimblotts "Admiral" class, that was in 1956, they still retained mast and stands and deck board etc which of course the first "Admiral" class had when out shopped.

Now here's a burning question, if someone built a "County" class today from the original drawings would it be a historic boat in its own right? As none were built it would be a prototype of a lost class?

Edited by Laurence Hogg
  • Greenie 1

Now here's a burning question, if someone built a "County" class today from the original drawings would it be a historic boat in its own right?

Absolutely! It would be like A1 Tornado - a historically-planned evolution of a successful working design. I'd love to see it happen.

Were they riveted or welded?

No, printed on paper!.............................

Sorry! - welded construction was proposed, I think.

I have some drawings somewhere, if I could only remember where, though I felt thay are dated later than Laurence suggests - 1956 is in my head, but I may be wrong.

Of course there had already been GUCCCo boats with 4'6" sides - the "Middle Northwich" "Stars", albeit that these proposed boats did not I think have the round chines.

EDIT: Hull side depth apart,I wonder how much the construction of one of these is wildly different from the GUCCCo "remakes" from Brinklow Boats, (who have done Woolwich based ones as well as Northwich based). Or even the much discussed Canopus......

Edited by alan_fincher

The plans are available from my sales. They were of riveted and welded construction and have no likeness to middle Northwich cross section. Unlike the other main plans we have not scanned these for archiving as up to now despite listing them as available from the late 1980's onwards no one has purchased a copy! There are no sheer lines or detail sub plans so they are considered a little like the original GUCCo "B" series drawings to be in the main proposed construction drawings.

Richard's reference to "Tornado" is spot on the money and the thought why I posted the question.

I did look when you've mentioned them before but couldn't see them listed anywhere.

Ian you are correct! I had forgotten we cleared out the "duds" a few years ago leaving just the sellers listed, I hold no stock but can print a sheet if required.

Absolutely! It would be like A1 Tornado - a historically-planned evolution of a successful working design. I'd love to see it happen.

That was my first thought too, but t'aint quite so. Tornado is a new member of a class of locomotives which were indeed built in considerable numbers (there were 50 of them) and which worked for about 20 years, though none has survived. The County boat, if built, would be a member of a class which never existed in the first place except on paper.

That was my first thought too, but t'aint quite so. Tornado is a new member of a class of locomotives which were indeed built in considerable numbers (there were 50 of them) and which worked for about 20 years, though none has survived. The County boat, if built, would be a member of a class which never existed in the first place except on paper.

Is one way of looking at it.

On the other hand Tornado is not an exact replica of any A1 previously built, by any means. It has a huge number of concessions to the modern age, not the least of which being that its most important component, the boiler, is of all welded, rather than riveted construction, (something that with hindsight seems to have caused problems they might have avoided).

From my memory of the drawings, the "County" class boats are remarkably like what you would get if you took the 1930s GUCCCo design for riveted steel or composite boats, and constructed them instead by welding. (Though clearly not dimensionally exactly the same as a "small" or "large" boat).

I personally can't see much merit in building what might have been, unless someone is looking to actually purpose build a full length for carrying, (in the style of "Arundel" and one or two others). In that case it might be an interesting exercise, but would have little advantage over a "remake" "Star", of welded construction, but with slightly shallower hull sides. Or at least not in canal use anyway, as the extra depth of hull can't really be exploited, and you are adding extra dead weight by the taller sides, and losing carrying capacity on a particular draught, with no real advantage.

Ian you are correct! I had forgotten we cleared out the "duds" a few years ago leaving just the sellers listed, I hold no stock but can print a sheet if required.

I might take you up on that as it would be an interesting model to build... not that I've built any others from the plans I purchased from you yet! :)

I'd fancy some plans too!

If you want a sheet just buy any drawing for a full size boat from the website and specify "County" in the note section of the paypal payment. They are not in stock so delivery will be a few days.