Replacement - LED for florescent tube

Featured Posts

Hi folks

I'm looking to replace all the old florescent tubes in my boat for new LED style ones.

I believe they are T5 30cm. Does anyone know if there is a Led alternative? I found these on eBay but I'm not sure if they are going to be right.

http://r.ebay.com/4UHSqv

I could just rip out the socks and wire in some Led strips that go straight into the 12v but would rather find something that can be put in the socket.

Cheers

We replaced ours in the shower room with one of these about five years ago.

http://www.seabridge-marine.com/Led_replacement_fluorescent_tube_1224v_12_/p2023673_10364307.aspx

Not cheap at the time and they have come down in price considerably since.

I just wish they did them for the D tube

post-261-0-31693800-1487685941_thumb.jpg

I wonder if they would work plugged into a fitting running on 24 volt DC These are obviously intended to be used on a mains fitting.

Edit

The second one says not suitable for emergency lights, which would be DC fed

Also they are too big I think.

Edited by ditchcrawler

My T5 8£ 30cm twin-tube fittings are 12V supply, but I think the electronics bump this up to 240. Can anyone confirm?

It won't be 240V but it will be considerably higher than 12V. To strike the lamp requires a high voltage probably well in excess of 300V but once lit it's likely to be around 150V to keep the gas ionised.

I wonder if they would work plugged into a fitting running on 24 volt DC These are obviously intended to be used on a mains fitting.

I would expect them to. The Square D lamp in a 24V fitting is the same as the one in a 240V fitting. The 'simple wiring change' described is probably to remove the starting high voltage.

Simplest thing to do would be to ask, I guess.

Edited to add nothing... a missing 0

Edited by WotEver

Ballast.

If they are running from 12v at the moment it won't be this, it will be the small inverter that powers them which will need to be removed. It is a very simple job.

We replaced all ours with tubes from Bedazzled. Where we replaced a pair of tubes with a single LED tube the brightness was fine, but in the bedrooms where we were replacing just single tubes we have found the LED ones too bright and wondered whether they would do well to produce an even lower power half-brightness version.

I just wish they did them for the D tube

I ripped out all the D tube electronics and wiring and installed normal Led lights, worked well for me as the D tube was behind a cover which I used to hide the new LED lights.

Advantages were much more choice of lights and easier replacement of bulbs plus straight wiring to 12v system.