I do love a mysterious leak (help please!)....

helrow

Featured Posts

...so thankfully my boat has come up with her second for me. I'm so thrilled. Any guidance you wise people can offer would be hugely appreciated.

There's a fair amount of water in my cabin bilge and I'd obviously like to figure out its source.

Last time this happened a few years ago it turned out to be a leaky water pump - easy to diagnose as the thing was going off every hour or so. Replaced it and job was a good'un.

This time, no such luck. The (second) pump was replaced in the summer after it stopped working completely when friends were on the boat. A new one was fitted and everything worked well after that - it doesn't go off now except when I'm using water, which seems right...

The only sign that something might be wrong with the plumbing is the kitchen tap, which only works at a slow, almost non-existent dribble. Is it likely this is a clue? Or would the water pump be going off all the time if this were a leaky pipe issue? I only want to start investigating pipes etc. if it seems at least plausible that they're causing the leak.

Otherwise, I gather condensation or rainwater could be the culprits...

As I said, any help would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance,

Helena

The low pressure at the kitchen tap does not explain the water in the bilge. Is this water clean? Can you soak some up with a clean sponge or towel and wring it out into a jam jar or similar? Is the water tank dropping by itself (measure with a stick or reed). Water pumps are often the cause! Is the water pump connected with rigid pipes or flexible? Do you have any side doors or hatches that might leak when it rains?

As the pump does not run when you are not using water the leak must be before the pump or from something else, like the shower drain.

It could still be the pump, if the leak is ahead of the diaphagm area. I once had a leaking Shurflo deposit gallons of water into the bilges, caused by a leaking seal at the front end of the pump. From recollection it was the seal which comes with the diaphragm/drive unit. Replacing it is quite an easy job and the parts are less than half the cost of a new pump. There are severasl different models amd I am not sure wheter the various kits sold by ASAP are interchangeable, but they are verty helpful on the phone. Here is one of several different kits that they sell,

https://www.asap-supplies.com/shurflo-pump-diaphragm-and-drive-kit-509964?cid=748694303&adgpid=36336443661&itemid=&targid=pla-127905081675&mt=&loc=9045611&ntwk=g&dev=c&dmod=&adp=1o4&gclid=Cj0KEQiA56_FBRDYpqGa2p_e1MgBEiQAVEZ6-zgc9BXkylRLxwaNqbeAJEqNz-AqGeATEljHJL-VGPcaAjrW8P8HAQ

It has occured to me, have you felt the underside of your pumps to see if there is any water on them, or place some tissue paper undr them and inspect after an hour or two,

Edited by David Schweizer

I agree, mysterious leaks are BRILLIANT aren't they. Such an pleasure to find one's bilges full once in a while.

Firstly, I agree it can't be a leak downstream of the water pump or it would run periodically like last time. It could easily be a leak on the inlet side to the water pump though. Have you inspected the new(ish) pump recently? Run your fingers over the pipes and joints etc then look at your fingers for wetness.

Next thing to establish is how fast the water is accummulating. When did you last check your bilges before discovering this problem?

I suggest pumping and mopping it out then keeping an eye on it to see how fast it comes back. It may not return if it was condensation, given the weather is warming up now.

I wonder why the tap has no pressure? Has it got a little filter thingy like a piece of gauze right at the end of the spout? My hot tap does this sometimes, it gets bits of grit and stuff in it and blocks, poke a pencil up it, if it won't go then unscrew the little sleeve on the end and try that. Maybe when you turn the tap on the pump is working but water is spraying out of a fitting cos' it can't get out of the spout.

I have seen it on a mixer type tap where the tap was leaking between the tap and the spout, when you turned it on a tiny dribble came out in the right place (but underneath a lot was coming out)

is it dry under your sink?

And THIS is why this forum is such a godsend. Thanks so much all, I'll go through all these potentials and report back. I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seats...

You're welcome. There is another possibility no-one else has mentioned yet. The boat could simply be sinking....

Hope that helps!

ninja.gif

P.S. This is highly unlikely but still a faint possibility and should not be discounted.

can't you lot read?

Any foo' can google tenterhooks, I did!

so are you admitting that you are a fool? It was you who asked what they were, I already knew, and the picture does not explain their purpose, which I also know!!

So There laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Edited by David Schweizer

Are you liveaboard or could pipes have frozen in your absence?

Have you had any other works done recently?

Are your pipes conventional push-fit plastic or is any part of the system hoses?

Is your boat level or can you limit your search by finding the highest point of the bilge that is affected?

Is your water tank clean? Is it integral to the hull?

How old is the boat?

What type of boat is it?

What is the name of your maiden Aunt twice removed?

Edited by system 4-50

Is somebody going to tell us without us needing to google? I am sat here on tenterhooks

Tenterhooks were evenly spaced iron hooks set in a long wooden frame, onto which woollen cloth was suspended to dry out after it had been woven and then washed, the cloth was stretched tight in order that the it did not go out of shape during drying. There were often several rows of frames set out in a field close to where the cloth was woven. The term "on tenterhooks" comes from the cloth being under suspension or tension.

Tenterhooks were evenly spaced iron hooks set in a long wooden frame, onto which woollen cloth was suspended to dry out after it had been woven and then washed, the cloth was stretched tight in order that the it did not go out of shape during drying. There were often several rows of frames set out in a field close to where the cloth was woven. The term "on tenterhooks" comes from the cloth being under suspension or tension.

Ta muchly.

Water appearing where it shouldn't is part and parcel of boating. It can get you down but I watched that Robert Redford film "All is Lost" last night and I strongly recommend it as the antidote if and when things get on top of you..

In my experience "a fair amount of water" is unlikely to be caused by either condensation or a leaky window or flue seal. I reckon you are looking at a plumbing problem. As others have said, the old Shurflo pumps were notorious for leaking from the pump body but I believe this fault has now been cured and as you say the pump has been replaced recently - presumably with a new one - so that seems an unlikely cause. If you use an expansion vessel you could still have a leak without hearing the pump cycling constantly, expansion vessels stop that annoying cutting in noise if you have a dripping tap, so you could easily have a slight leak without noticing it. Also it could be on the inlet side.

The thing to do is get a load of tissue and laboriously wipe all the pipe joints down bone dry, then check after a few minutes. It's easier said than done of course owing to the tendency of narrowboat builders to hide all the plumbing away and then fit the water pump in the most inaccessible place on the boat. But it's the only way.