Moving from Maestermyn towards Leicester in the next few days.

Kendorr

Featured Posts

I'm helping a friend move a boat from Maestermyn. We will have 4 days starting on Saturday and want to get the boat towards Leicester and at a marina where it can be left for a month or 2.

I did a similar trip last year and I'm thinking of heading towards Autherley Junction and to Great Haywood before then heading onto the Trent and Mersey.

The other way would be to use the Middlewich branch and get straight onto the Trent and Mersey and head towards Stoke.

I'm looking for some advice on both routes for this time of the year, and also for a marina. We also need to take the rail connection into account.

I've got both routes planned on Canal Plan, but unfortunately, my books are on the boat and I'm at home!

Any advice folks?

Ta very glad

Kevin

I would go down the Shroppie because although the T&M is shorter marginally the tunnel is a potential delay and moorings are in shorter supply. You will need to look up the stoppages.

Mooring may be possible at:

Wolverhampton Boat Club

Autherley

Calf Heath

Stafford Boat club

Gt Haywood - Marina and/or Anglo Welsh

The two boat clubs listed are IME very friendly.

N

Thanks folks, got a strange message when posting that I wasn't allowed to post any more!!!

Anyway, I've managed to look back over last years routes and I'm thinking that the Shropie is the way to go and stopping at either Talbot Wharf or Norbury Junction should be good and not too difficult.

We'll actually only get 3 1/2 days as we'll have to travel down from Hull on the first day.

Kevin

Thank you, he's not intending going all the way to Leicester, we only have 4 days. But the intention is to get it moved and into a secure mooring where he can go and work on it, then move it properly later in the year.

Kevin