Anyone have a smart phone? A reminder!

nipper

Featured Posts

Hi all!

Just a reminder to those of us that have smart phones and keep all their phone numbers, email addresses, photo's and a hundred and one bits of other stuff that gets collected on one over time!

BACK IT UP

Mine did a backwards somersault with pike into the canal at Ellesmere on Saturday, dispite searching with a net in about 2ft of water I couldn't find it and then a boat or two went by and all hope was lost!

Had I backed it up? well, I was going too, but at the end of the day, I didn't so all my contacts have gone,all my pics have gone!

Now I have to get a bus to Nantwich to get a new sim for this old Motorola defy that I found in a drawer in the boat!,

Happy Days!

Nipper

Mine was a waterproof experia z1, but being waterproof really don't help, if you cant find out where it landed. Being able to see is totally impossible in a well stirred up canal!

Must go!

I have ten minutes to catch the local bus!

Nipper

Mine was a waterproof experia z1, but being waterproof really don't help, if you cant find out where it landed. Being able to see is totally impossible in a well stirred up canal!

Must go!

Nipper

You don't need to see it. Get in and feel for it!

Backing data up - always a good idea. It's also worth (if your phone does so) to save contacts to your SIM card rather than the phone; it's more likely to survive immersion - but this is only useful if you can actually retrieve the machine. Or (on an android phone) save the contact data to your Google account rather than the machine - then you can download to your next phone....

Set it to back up contacts in Google's cloud. I know, Big Brother and all that, but it's so much easier.

On the subject of BB. I've been driving once a week to the National Museum of Computing at Bletchley Park as volunteer. The drive from Duxford to Milton Keynes is a bit horrible so I always use Google Maps navigate function to take round jams and problems. I've only ever told it to take me to Bletchley, but it's learned, and now when I open Google maps on a weekday morning, it's all ready to take me, and not only to Bletchley, or even Bletchley Park, but Block H in Bletchley Park, where the TNOMC has its building.

They know, you know.

MP.

Must go!

Nipper

If it's waterproof, you could try calling it from another phone. It might light up and idicate it's position on the bed of the canal.

Edited to unmangle a word.

Edited by cuthound

Mine ended up in the water once but I found it easily - it was in my pocket at the time.

Ditto, also lost my glasses.

Worked it out that it would have been cheaper to go to New York for the weekend that those two days boating cost!

Tim

My solution is to keep the phone inside the cabin where i cannot see it , hear it , or use it .

When im boating ... im boating . Sod the phone !

All of my work comes via my phone as its my only " computer " and i still dont care . If im at the tiller the phones indoors . This attitude has cost me work & money but i don t care one jot .

Plus it will never fall in the water .....

My solution is to keep the phone inside the cabin where i cannot see it , hear it , or use it .

When im boating ... im boating . Sod the phone !

All of my work comes via my phone as its my only " computer " and i still dont care . If im at the tiller the phones indoors . This attitude has cost me work & money but i don t care one jot .

Plus it will never fall in the water .....

My strategy too, although I keep my phone on a shelf by the hatch.

When I was working it used to take my watch off as soon as I got on the boat. I don't do that any more, as I have deliberately not worn a watch since retiring.

Get a flip cover for the phone and glue some foam to it for floatation.

Or just buy a floating waterproof case like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FRiEQ-Floating-Waterproof-Carrying-iPhone/dp/B00T2PMJJY

Not sure about the rainbow effect, mind...