Diesel stove smells

Featured Posts

Hello,

Those that have a diesel stove installed is their diesel tank located inside the boat or outside? My boat smells of diesel and was wondering if it would make any difference if I moved the tank? When I open the cudboard that the tank is in i can't actually smell anything.

Regards

Mitch

On one of our boats the we use the day tank in the engine room to feed the fire; on the other the tank is on an outside bulkhead. The engine room always has a diesely smell, which I rather like.

How do you fill your tank? There will always be a smell once you remove the filler cap. Or is you tank so big (over 27l if I remember correctly) that it needs a breather?

My stove is in the port front corner of the cabin, and the tank for it is in the port well deck locker. There is no diesel smell in the boat, but when the stove is lit, a diesel fume smell is emitted from the flue, which passersby can smell.

I would check carefully for leaks again, or if diesel has been spilt in the past, the smell can take an eternity to go.

How do you fill your tank? There will always be a smell once you remove the filler cap. Or is you tank so big (over 27l if I remember correctly) that it needs a breather?

This is the important question above.

Mine is filled via a sealed pipe and is vented outside just like any other diesel tank, there is no where inside for the smell to get out of the tank and pipes.

On one of our boats the we use the day tank in the engine room to feed the fire; on the other the tank is on an outside bulkhead. The engine room always has a diesely smell, which I rather like.

Well we know what after shave to get you for Christmas.....................

I think the OP must have a small leak somewhere.

Hi thanks for replies there is no vent on the tank do you think this could be the issue. There is no leak I have even pressure tested the pipe

Surely there must be a vent of some sort, otherwise no diesel would flow (Allan aka Keeping Up) has proved this to be the case.

Do you only get the smell while the stove is running?

If it is all the time, whilst it is off, do you have a small amount in the pot? If so, then the metering column is passing and may need a new seal. If it is only while the stove is running, it could be coming from a failed stuffing gland seal on the decoking lever.

I have found that if you have a spill or a leak. The wooden floor will hold that diesel smell for "ever" the only way I have made improvement to this was to soak the floor in fairy liquid solution and scrub. After a few weeks it did improve. Since I have now installed an Oak floor its got better, not perfect. Then of course, I may be just getting used to it.

Those that have a diesel stove installed is their diesel tank located inside the boat or outside? My boat smells of diesel and was wondering if it would make any difference if I moved the tank? When I open the cudboard that the tank is in i can't actually smell anything.

I'm a bit puzzled. You originally wondered if moving your tank would reduce the smell. I don't see how moving the tank would reduce the smell if it wasn't the source in the first place.

Anyway, it seems that all is well since you've traced the leak to the inlet with the de-coking rod.

Sorry if my advice was based on completely the wrong premise.