Bow Camera?

JJPHG

Featured Posts

In the past I've only ever used tiller steering on NB's but my new build is 'probably' going to be a 10' x 58' widebeam and I'll be single handed cc'ing. I toyed with the idea of wheel steering as tiller steering might be a bit of a stretch when switching between sides to see whats ahead/to the side. I've ditched the idea of wheel steering as I prefer the tradition and feedback you get from a tiller.

So the question is - bearing in mind I won't have anybody else I can send forward, has anybody got a bow cam fitted, is it any good and worth the investment (I would go for a wide angle camera - not much point having much less than about 135 deg field of view)?

Thanks

I have no experience of Wide beams so my comments are principally based upon NB's but I have to say that, although I do have one crew, the occasions that I ask her to look out ahead are few and far between (like, almost never!). Yes there will be occasions that you are going to meet another boat in a bridge hole on a bend somewhere but these aren't speed machines and if I've needed to stop I haven't had a problem doing so thus far (3 years and 3300 miles). A wide beam on a broad canal will be no different really to a NB on a narrow canal, you can't get two boats through a bridge hole at the same time so one is going to have to give way. A better prospect is to take in the countryside as you go and look to see where the canal goes after the next bend ahead (on the occasions when you can). You can then see a long way in advance when there is a boat coming towards you and you can then pick whereabouts is the best place to pass it. I would suspect that a bow camera is an accessory that would soon fall into disuse.

From watching other people with wide beams it seems to me a greater problem may be to accurately gauge where the sides of your boat are rather than what is going on ahead. Whilst standing central on the tiller it looks to be difficult to look along the side of the boat to line up with lock entrances, bridge holes etc unless you have exceptionally long armsrolleyes.gif . I'm sure some wide-beamers will be along to tell me that is nonsense but that is just what I have seen as I've wandered around.

Most normal folk should soon get used to judging the width and length of a wide beam boat, as they probably would from driving a car to driving a lorry or bus. One of the reasons wide beam boats often suffer from jammed and or bent propeller blades, ''much more often than narrow boats'', clouted by large lumps of floating rubbish, logs and branches ect, especially on entering and leaving locks where this stuff tends to collect is because its not easy to look ahead along the side of a wide beam whilst steering in order to spot large lumps of floating rubbish which can get drawn down into the prop.

Edited by bizzard

A camera is easy to fit, it's the monitor that is going to be a problem. You will either need to find one that you can easily view in sunlight or you will need to fit it inside the boat in a darker area but have a big enough screen to make out detail as necessary.

Also, while you are busy looking at it you will probably find that you have been looking in the wrong direction; I can get into enough trouble just taking in the scenery

Never had a problem steering fat boats on wide canals without cameras, even at night with passengers on. However with a wheel steer the situation is completely different. There is no feel as the depth changes and no warning signal through the help. The result can be ' interesting' even in the 80s the wheel steered tripper we ran could catch you out.

Also if you are going from here to the uk to a boat why restrict yourself You are stuck with Thames and London to the top of the gu, with a wide boat, the trent and soar plus bits of t and m , or the northern canals, where as with a narrowboat at 57 ft the worlds your lobster. Not to mention resale when cart finaly get on top of the licensing / mooring issue.

Also if you are going from here to the uk to a boat why restrict yourself You are stuck with Thames and London to the top of the gu, with a wide boat, the trent and soar plus bits of t and m , or the northern canals, where as with a narrowboat at 57 ft the worlds your lobster.

Not fully made up my mind yet. All my experience is on NB but do like the idea of a bit more space. It's going to be a tough decision.

My wide beam is 10ft wide by 58ft long, tiller steered. No problem, I stand on a step to cruise (5ft 7in tall), I also cruise single handed on occasion, again no problem, she handles really well on the river. I can't do all the network but can do a lot and in comfort

The low tech solution I've seen in use once or twice is a 'steering stick' attached to the underside of the tiller with a swivel joint.

This allows the steerer to step to the gunwale and still move the tiller using the stick. When not in use the stick hangs vertically down under the tiller and out of the way.

I'm surprised at how few boats (widebeam and narrowboats with short steerers) use an extension on the tiller that attaches with a flexible link.

they are fairly standard equipment on sailing vessels but nobody seems to use them on the canal, possibly because they are not traditional.

edit : MtB is on about the same thing

Edited by Jess--

I am an occasional skipper with a 60' x 10'6" trip boat, which has to go through a number of 12' gaps at bridges, etc.

I find the easiest way is to step away from the tiller to take a glance down the side. Some skippers prefer to have a crew member looking along each side, and giving helm instructions, but I prefer to see for myself.

Twin horizontal periscopes sticking out on each side, mounted at eye level in front of the steerer, like binoculars so that both sides can be scrutinized at the same time.

In fact a whole battery of them sticking out at all points of the compass with all their eye pieces mounted in front of you. No need to strain twist and stretch your neck and arms anymore by peering all around you in the old outdated fashion.

Edited by bizzard

Twin horizontal periscopes sticking out on each side, mounted at eye level in front of the steerer, like binoculars so that both sides can be scrutinized at the same time.

Yes, because, as your solution caters for admirably, it's an "all round look" that's required.

An organic alternative might be to have an owl perched up forward - they're sharp eyed and outstanding at all round looks. Train it do screech once when steering to starboard is in order, twice for port, and don't be tempted to ignore him if he does five short screeches. I imagine there'll be very little loss of performance in a tunnels either.

Edited to conform (thanks Howard)

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Greenie 1

Train it do screech once when steering to port is in order, twice for starboard, and don't be tempted to ignore him if he does five short screeches. I imagine there'll be very little loss of performance in a tunnels either.

.... or even the other way round!!!boat.gif

Howard

In fact a whole battery of them sticking out at all points of the compass with all their eye pieces mounted in front of you. No need to strain twist and stretch your neck and arms anymore by peering all around you in the old outdated fashion.

................ and add a 12V servo to operate the tiller and steer it from a reclining position in your bunk, using a radio control transmitter. All the parts are available here http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/

Our narrowboat has two bow cameras. A narrow angle camera pointing directly ahead to see into the distance and a wide angle pointing at the bow for mooring/winding. The colour monitor is located above the throttle control.

I used it for the first six months of ownership and then became very familiar with the length of the boat so didn't use it any more.

In the past I've only ever used tiller steering on NB's but my new build is 'probably' going to be a 10' x 58' widebeam and I'll be single handed cc'ing. I toyed with the idea of wheel steering as tiller steering might be a bit of a stretch when switching between sides to see whats ahead/to the side. I've ditched the idea of wheel steering as I prefer the tradition and feedback you get from a tiller.

So the question is - bearing in mind I won't have anybody else I can send forward, has anybody got a bow cam fitted, is it any good and worth the investment (I would go for a wide angle camera - not much point having much less than about 135 deg field of view)?

Thanks

You will find ita a doddle very quickly. A quick glance down either side as needed is all it takes. A widebeam of those dimensions will be a pleasant and very easy drive. Cameras etc etc are completely unecessary.

You will find ita a doddle very quickly. A quick glance down either side as needed is all it takes. A widebeam of those dimensions will be a pleasant and very easy drive. Cameras etc etc are completely unecessary.

At risk of repeating myself, I couldn't agree more ?

You can pick up a wireless rear view camera kit for around £30 so whether it's worth the investment is probably not the question. I have two vans with no view out through the rear. There is no question that life would be easier if I fitted cameras. However, some deep-seated pride prevents this so I have to get out midway through parallel parking to check the distance behind then go back to the cab and judge this by increments of paving slabs passing the open door until such point that I have to get out and check again. But it makes me feel manly so that's just fine.

• Greenie 1