NB Jackal

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Hi.

Just had a very pleasant chat on the tow path with a couple who used to own the above boat. I admitted I hadn't heard of it shamefully.

Anyone got any knowledge. They own it for quite a few years and sold it through Stretton Aquaduct boatyard.

Martyn

The Deuchars have Jackal & Hereford.

Last heard of they were mooring at Trent Lock.

As is often the case JACKAL is not straight forward.

JACKAL was cut in two by 'British Waterways' in about 1959, the stern end becoming a push tug and the fore end converted into one of their early hire boats.

The Deuchar's do own JACKAL, but only the stern end attached to a new centre section attached to the fore end of the Brathwaite & Kirk built horse boat JOHN.

By the late 1970's the fore end was in use as a privately owned pleasure boat, based on or around the Macclesfield Canal. It was this boat that subsequently passed through Keith Ball of Industry Narrow Boats, Stretton Aquaduct in 2006. If I recall this JACKAL is rebuilt in the style of a decked tug and is powered by a Lister JP2 captain.gif

As is often the case JACKAL is not straight forward.

JACKAL was cut in two by 'British Waterways' in about 1959, the stern end becoming a push tug and the fore end converted into one of their early hire boats.

The Deuchar's do own JACKAL, but only the stern end attached to a new centre section attached to the fore end of the Brathwaite & Kirk built horse boat JOHN.

By the late 1970's the fore end was in use as a privately owned pleasure boat, based on or around the Macclesfield Canal. It was this boat that subsequently passed through Keith Ball of Industry Narrow Boats, Stretton Aquaduct in 2006. If I recall this JACKAL is rebuilt in the style of a decked tug and is powered by a Lister JP2 :captain:

i believe it's this final paragraph that describes the boat that was owned by the couple that I met. They said they lived aboard for thirty years, on this boat or not I don't know, but it was mentioned that they sold through Kieth Ball about nine years ago. A nice couple.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch