Buyers Market vs Sellers Market

bluenosegirl

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, WotEver said:

If I was selling a boat and two prospective buyers were interested and one said "I'll give you a deposit if you take it off the market so I can arrange a survey after which I may try to knock the price down or walk away", and the other said "Yes I'll have it, you can have the money this afternoon" guess which one I'd sell to?

I can't envisage a scenario where a broker would be putting two offers to the vendor at the same time.  

If they received the first offer and the seller accepts, they take a deposit and book a survey.  When the second person comes along with their offer,they would be told that the boat is already off the market. Or would they sell the boat from under the person that has already put down a deposit?

i think a major factor in all this frantic activity is the increase in marina provision over the last few years.  This also explains why, despite the increased market activity, there seems to be fewer moving boats than say 5-10 years ago.

I agree those dreadful TV programmes must have an effect by giving a totally unrealistic impression of what canal cruising is really like. 

50 minutes ago, lulu fish said:

I can't envisage a scenario where a broker would be putting two offers to the vendor at the same time.  

If they received the first offer and the seller accepts, they take a deposit and book a survey.  When the second person comes along with their offer,they would be told that the boat is already off the market. Or would they sell the boat from under the person that has already put down a deposit?

Well when we bought WotEver another couple were looking at her at the same time and they too wanted to purchase.  Before accepting our offer the broker asked us if we wanted a survey or not. When we said "No, the money is ready to be transferred, you can have it this afternoon" the broker broke the news to the other couple that they couldn't buy her. I'm sure that if we'd said we wanted a survey and the other couple said they didn't that the broker would have accepted their offer in preference to ours. He'd be a pretty poor broker if he didn't. 

On 22/02/2017 at 5:03 PM, Alan de Enfield said:

Perhaps you would be kind enough to show me, where in the above post (21st Feb at 7:12pm) you :

1) Said they had purchased the boat from Whilton, or

2) That they purchased it from the same broker as you purchased yours

That was the post I replied to.

You replied to a post in which I didn't mention the seller at all with "That is the problem with that seller, for every 'good one' they sell they dishonestly sell 100 'bad ones'". So how did you know which seller was involved to be able to comment on it then?

However, having a daft row on a forum with a chap I've never met and with whom I've no doubt I'd get on like a house on fire in the flesh is ridiculous, so there's no need to reply to that Alan.

Chubby, apologies for getting your user name wrong. You're quite right, I know nothing about you (and vice versa), and as Mr (M E) Smith once wrote; 'If you assume, you are a Hulme'. So I won't. (Don't fret, I don't understand it either.)

Sorry I spelled 'Hearsay' incorrectly.

I apologise to the OP for dragging their interesting topic off at a useless and unhelpful tangent.

If I had been taken in by all the rubbish spouted about Whilton on here, we would never have ended up with the splendid boat we now have, so I have no regrets about defending them. I'd suggest that anyone who is looking for a boat and feels put off should do as we did and visit them to decide for yourself.

Finally, having previously had raised blood pressure from being a member (and later moderator) of an (unrelated) internet forum, I feel it unwise to continue to participate in this one any longer, so I will say goodbye and thanks very much for all the help I've received over the last 18 months or so.

2 hours ago, Joe the plumber said:

You replied to a post in which I didn't mention the seller at all with "That is the problem with that seller, for every 'good one' they sell they dishonestly sell 100 'bad ones'". So how did you know which seller was involved to be able to comment on it then?

However, having a daft row on a forum with a chap I've never met and with whom I've no doubt I'd get on like a house on fire in the flesh is ridiculous, so there's no need to reply to that Alan.

Chubby, apologies for getting your user name wrong. You're quite right, I know nothing about you (and vice versa), and as Mr (M E) Smith once wrote; 'If you assume, you are a Hulme'. So I won't. (Don't fret, I don't understand it either.)

Sorry I spelled 'Hearsay' incorrectly.

I apologise to the OP for dragging their interesting topic off at a useless and unhelpful tangent.

If I had been taken in by all the rubbish spouted about Whilton on here, we would never have ended up with the splendid boat we now have, so I have no regrets about defending them. I'd suggest that anyone who is looking for a boat and feels put off should do as we did and visit them to decide for yourself.

Finally, having previously had raised blood pressure from being a member (and later moderator) of an (unrelated) internet forum, I feel it unwise to continue to participate in this one any longer, so I will say goodbye and thanks very much for all the help I've received over the last 18 months or so.

I think this is an over reaction  . Disagreements are to be expected occasionally . It isn t personal , its a difference of opinion .... nothing more . 

I think you should reconsider & continue posting 

cheers

On 2/21/2017 at 7:12 PM, Joe the plumber said:

Sorry Laurie, I've only just seen your query. I believe he had it surveyed and it's essentially solid, but he (and his girlfriend) really didn't know what

they were looking at. At the time, his dad didn't know we'd bought a boat either, so didn't ask me to come along which was a shame as I might have had a better idea

about it.

They didn't realise it was an ex-hire boat until I told them, and a lot of the stuff that needs doing isn't disasterous, but it is expensive of course.

Thanks for the reply.

12 hours ago, AllanC said:

So might there come a time of year, when this market trend is reversed in favour of the buyer.

I don't think it is time of year specific.

It is more to do with how many people are looking to buy boats. When lots of people are looking to buy but there are only limited amounts of good boats for sale it becomes a sellers market.

When fewer people are looking to buy but more boats are on the market it becomes a buyers market.

It goes both ways but not necessarily based on the time of year. It has been a sellers market for well over 12 months now. Most brokerages are crying out for boats to sell and have people waiting to buy.

18 hours ago, AllanC said:

So might there come a time of year, when this market trend is reversed in favour of the buyer.

I don't know about a time of year but if you had been passing by last week when I was wrestling with a new water pump you could have had my boat for nothing.

3 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I don't know about a time of year but if you had been passing by last week when I was wrestling with a new water pump you could have had my boat for nothing.

I don't suppose there is even a remote chance that you lost the fight.? If so, would you please deliver my boat to Aldermaston Wharf asap. :cheers: