fresh waterpump

LezB

Featured Posts

Hi can anyone help i have a water pump that just keeps running i have to turn it off to get some quite.

also the accumulator valve if pressed spits water out I dont know if this is right or if it has something to do with the pump running.

and if I need to replace one or both, if thats the case can it be upgraded to a higher psi and volume.

thanks lez

Sounds like the pressure switch on the pump is faulty and the accumulator bladder has gone. For the accumulator you probably need a new one, some have replaceable bladders but not many. The pump may be repairable or an external pressure switch could be fitted.

Why do you think you need more pressure than you have already ?

thanks for the reply

when i turn on the tap it gushes then trickles thought if i up the psi it would flow better I am new to this .

lez

I would suggest you check the inlet filter to your pump also that the tank isolation valve is fully open. It sounds as if your pump is quite capable of producing sufficient pressure, the gush, but for some reason the flow is restricted, a dribble after the gush has gone.

The pump label should tell you the model, from this you should be able to find the pump capacity in litre per min.

Then see how long it takes to fill a 10litre bucket. That will tell you if you need a higher output pump or if there is a problem which could be pipe restrictions or a worn pump.

I'd agree the accumulator is dead.

Doesn't explain the continuous running, though. Is there somewhere else water can be escaping from the system, such as the calorifier PRV?

If it was just a faulty pressure switch on he pump, I'd expect it to sound laboured as the system increased, even to the extent of stalling, unless it's one of these variable flow pumps with a bypass allowing water to go from outlet to inlet.

I've just bought a new pump and accumulator for under a hundred quid, both like for like Jabsco units, to replace the original fit. I had a small leak, which I might well have cured by a strip and repair, but these things have a finite life anyway so I viewed that as a false economy.

It sounds like your accumulator is goosed and your pump might well be. Although you may also have another issue, you might wish to consider whether starting with known good pump and accumulator might either solve your problem or be invaluable in your fault finding.