Water in bilge.

fudd

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, fudd said:

It isn't insulated, but thinking about it, if it is empty then it wouldn't be as prone to condensation. Now I still don't know if it leaks. 

FWIW. I thought our plastic tank had a leak as water appears in the bilge over the winter months but dissappears completely during the warmer months. 

You won't have much longer to wait to find out which it is. 

1 hour ago, fudd said:

It isn't insulated, but thinking about it, if it is empty then it wouldn't be as prone to condensation. Now I still don't know if it leaks. 

Put a little water in it and examine?

Edited by WotEver
Software decided to post my question thrice

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Once it has a hole in it which is filling your bilges, I think condensation becomes a side issue! ;)

The op said it 'could' have a leak, unfortunately the condensation would be more of an issue when the tank was full, making it hard to rule out a leak. I know from experience that an uninsulated tank can produce lots of moisture, ours certainly did when we were fitting out.

• 1 month later...

I think I've found the problem. I'm using an inline pump placed in the waste from inside the cubicle so I'm not using the original pump. The bilge is bone dry. I'm really surprised how clean the water looks   It look like drinking water when it comes out of the hose. Now it's only a complete rip out of the shower!!

thanks for the help. 

• 1 month later...

Right. I'm ready to repair my shower waste. I've been thinking that the hose from the waste running to the gulper will always be full of water. I can use the shower and not use the pump and the bilge stays dry. I can see the end of the hose that comes out from the floor and it's dry when the pump is used. So has anyone got any ideas on whether the suction created when the pump is used could force water through a split int the hose, even if it's small enough to hold water when the pump is running?

On 2017-2-17 at 00:58, frahkn said:

It seems to me that taking this post with nos. 21 and 26, the answer must be that you are imagining the water in your bilge. You have ruled out any possible cause of the problem you first asked about.

Frank.

According to Dead Ringers that would be the Hillary Mantel reply. 

"But is it....? "

On topic

I note that you raised this in February I find I have the same problem, due to condensation, every winter. I just live with this and not worry unduly unless it's excessive. I just mop it up occasionally  from under the bilge hatch as and when required.

Does it still occur in the summer months? If not then problem identified. 

If you suspect it is the pipe from the shower then a previous suggestion of placing a paper towel under the pipe overnight, or indeed whilst you have a shower, would soon identify if this was the cause 

Edited by reg

17 minutes ago, reg said:

I note that you raised this in February I find I have the same problem, due to condensation, every winter. I just live with this and not worry unduly unless it's excessive. 

If you suspect it is the pipe from the shower then a previous suggestion of placing a paper towel under the pipe overnight, or indeed whilst you have a shower, would soon identify if this was the cause 

Just to clarify, I wasn't the OP so it was not me who had the bilge problem.

7 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Just to clarify, I wasn't the OP so it was not me who had the bilge problem.

Sorry My bad however if you ever did raise a question like the OP's then that would be the reply I would of made to it.