Solar panels, worth the expense?

AllanC

Featured Posts

I dont have a clue how much I spend on diesel, not a clue I simply buy it when the coal boat comes by and thats that. I have two solar panels and think they are great bits of kit. In the summer they run the fridge basicaly so I only run the engine to charge one hour a day when working rather than two or more. Its not the cost though its the time 8/8 the noise, the wear and tear that is reduced by simply having a couple of panels and in the summer for hobby boaters they can walk away with uncharged batteries and come back the following week with charged rather than knackered batteries. I will always have them and have now used them for about the last ten years ish.

Been away from my boat for a week, went and moved it today, batteries were full, controller flashing telling me no more amps could be stuffed in the batteries.

They were at 50% a week ago when I left the boat.

Best £300 I have spent on the boat.

That sums it up in a nutshell. here endeth the lesson.

I'm a bit late here but as a new boat owner who put the solar on during the 1st week, I have to say it was a good decision. AS has already been said, you don't get a lot out of them during the darkest winter months (I already knew this having a system on the house at home) but in the last couple of weeks, unless we are on board using "other power" - by that I mean than the fridge/freezer which is permanently on (12v btw) or water pump, the batteries have frequently been up to 100% according to the smartgauge.

In a couple of months, I'd think we might even be able to use the immersion heater for half an hour in the morning to top up the tank and the solar will have put it back by the time I come home from work.

What I would say is don't buy a ready made system or have it installed - paying through the nose. Do it yourself and save a lot of money... there are plenty of people happy to provide advice if you're unsure of anything.

• Greenie 1

Thanks Quaysider, I'm a diy kinda guy and would hope to install it myself. If and when I get a boat (insert praying hard emoji here) then hopefully I will have not much else to do other than fish and fettle.

Edited by AllanC

Well I can dream Alan. :D

Dream all you like but as soon as you buy that boat you will soon realise there is always something that needs doing. Fish and fettle indeed; the only fettling likley to be done is a well needed pint down the pub after you have fixed the latest problem ??

Edit missing d

Edited by Bewildered

I have been considering them for some time but there's just a few things putting me off:

I don't like the idea of obstructing the roof, I use the roof space a lot when single handling the boat, equally I want to avoid putting any holes in the roof as to avoid encouraging rust or future water leaks. Any tips on how to address this?

I have been considering them for some time but there's just a few things putting me off:

I don't like the idea of obstructing the roof, I use the roof space a lot when single handling the boat, equally I want to avoid putting any holes in the roof as to avoid encouraging rust or future water leaks. Any tips on how to address this?

Pot Magnets

Quality "No-Nails"

The Pink stuff works well.

I installed my panels off centre allowing me to walk down one side.

Do you currently have mushroom vents plank holders houdini hatches etc none of these are less likely to cause water leaks than a properly installed panel.

I used some building joists to create a box structure over my poles and planks at the front 11' of the cabin roof, the panels are rebated into this. 99.8% of locks I've single-handed in the last 4 years haven't forced me to use that part of the roof.

Flexible panels glued down with sikaflex works fine for me stainless steel grommets screwed and glued to put the cables through the roof

I have had solar for 12 years now off grid living its the best thing I ever bought

Edited by peterboat

I have 10 120 watt panels, they are Deployed only when the Boat is static,when under way the Panels fold in leaving half the width of the roof clear to walk on

CT

Edited by cereal tiller

Having a semi trad I ran the cables down the rear bulkhead into the battery locker, cables pass through to inside of the boat to the controller then back to the bank. Panels fixed to the roof by dint of four rubber feet glued to the panel frame and to the roof, this provided a space for airflow.

Phil

Having a semi trad I ran the cables down the rear bulkhead into the battery locker, cables pass through to inside of the boat to the controller then back to the bank. Panels fixed to the roof by dint of four rubber feet glued to the panel frame and to the roof, this provided a space for airflow.

Phil

That was one aspect of solar panels I was curious about. Some have recommended the flexible type that is it possible to walk but do these work effectively on a steel narrow boat? I know that they work on offshore 'plastic' sailing boats but I would have thought that with the temperature that the steel roof of a narrow boat gets to in the summer does this detrimentally affect the power output?

A quick google finds plenty of links all saying basically the same thing. It does seem that high temps will reduce power output. I don't know how hot a boat roof gets, but my shed roof gets exceedingly hot in summer. Maybe its another good reason to paint your boat roof white and have raised panels..

https://www.civicsolar.com/support/installer/articles/how-heat-affects-solar-panel-efficiency

Edited by AllanC

I have a 140w semi-flexible panel stuck down on a steel roof (in strong summer sun you can't keep your hand on the roof despite it being light grey).

in those conditions I have had no problems with lower output from the panel with it producing around 10A @ >13v (over 130w)

It may be worth noting that in the UK when the sun is strong enough to heat the panel too much is also the time when the panel has already done most of it's work in the morning before it got hot, so any loss of efficiency makes little to no difference over the whole day.

Edited by Jess--
  • Greenie 1