Manchester - what a mess!

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

It's what happens when you've got lots of bars running alongside the canal. It's a shame the crap can't be scooped up and put back in the bars.

I remember back in the eighties the rochdale canal company used to drain the canal every winter and it was all bicycles, scaffolding and traffic cones. The line of the canal wasn't trendy enough to have bars in those days.

It's what happens when you've got lots of bars running alongside the canal. It's a shame the crap can't be scooped up and put back in the bars.

And it's also a shame that the city council who are responsible for the licensing cannot enforce the bars to look after their furniture that they put out for the punters.

And it's also a shame that the city council who are responsible for the licensing cannot enforce the bars to look after their furniture that they put out for the punters.

Short of bolting the seats down what do you suggest they do? I'm sure that they take the furniture in overnight else all of it would be in the cut by now. You're hardly likely to go in and get a chair which has sunk even if you are lucky enough to witness the event.

Short of bolting the seats down what do you suggest they do? I'm sure that they take the furniture in overnight else all of it would be in the cut by now. You're hardly likely to go in and get a chair which has sunk even if you are lucky enough to witness the event.

Yup, bolt the seats down, chain the furniture down.. other places do it!

I hope they clear out the rubbish before refilling the canal, and before anyone says of course they will, the answer is no if its not in the contract of the contractor doing the work.

CaRT work on the Wigan flight locks every winter but I have never seen them removing rubbish from a dewatered pound.

Steve

If the bars cannot monitor their street furniture then it should be secured or the city licensing should take action against the bars and refuse a licence for street drinking, after all this is a public street. The city centre spokesman, Pat Carney, makes a big fuss about this in the news but is all piss and wind.

It's a great pity, but the canal environment above Castlefields is not pleasant, not just what is under the water! During our last passage, drug taking and male prostitution was ongoing and this on a Saturday morning.

We are not easily shocked, but come on Manchester!

It's a great pity, but the canal environment above Castlefields is not pleasant, not just what is under the water! During our last passage, drug taking and male prostitution was ongoing and this on a Saturday morning.

I haven't been in Manchester for around 10 years but what you describe was standard then at any time of any day (possibly a little less drug use)

The area was well known for it and any policing was done in a very light handed way.

Friday's Manchester Evening News letters' page includes one suggestion that they lay nets on the bottom of the canal to make it easer to lift out the rubbish next time,

Imagine the consequences of getting that wrapped around the prop!

I once got some of the orange mesh type temporary plastic fencing wrapped around the prop and that was bad enough.

I hope they clear out the rubbish before refilling the canal, and before anyone says of course they will, the answer is no if its not in the contract of the contractor doing the work.

Its all here http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/leatest/9665-the-results-of-drunken-brawls

Wish they would do that where my boat is so I can get my phone out!

You don't need to ring them up, most of them offer a "stop me and buy one" policy ...