From the I-Spy Annual 1980

Ray T

Featured Posts

16712049_10211677795556441_7079423211029

"There are unfortunately, other things to be seen in many of our canals these days. The derelict ones that are still waiting for keen enthusiasts to get to grips with them. All to often, members of the general public regard a disused waterway an an ideal dumping ground for old bedsteads, oil drums and all manner of household junk.

Why, even the canals open to modern traffic have their eyesores. Human ones. The noted canal expert and writer John Gagg calls them "cowboys" - folks who wallop along the pounds with over - large engines that throw up wakes to damage banks and moored boats. Noisy oiks who travel in company with blaring transistor radios, and those who shoot at canal wildlife with airguns.

Better a mere gongoozler than one of these characters, we'd say - but best of all, be a canal lover, and take pleasure of your waterway trip with your eye, your camera, or your paintbrush - and ensure that the next chap along will get just as much of a thrill as you did from the cut and its surroundings."

The good old days?

Edited by Ray T

I have The Observer's Book of Canals 1982 by John Ggggag.

I have two copies of the original News Chronicle I-SPY booklet "Boats and Waterways", issued in the early 1950's. (price 6d) The first three pages are devoted to Narrowboats and includes the unrealistic suggestion that "You may be invited to see the horse brasses inside the cabin too"

Edited by David Schweizer

Ironbridge is more likely. Right on Brians doorstep.

Speaking of locks, (and perhaps a little game of I-Spy) anyone ever heard of a lock in the vicinity of Bourne End called "Irishmen's"? I haven't. John Sergeant in his heavy tome 'Barging round Britain' states that leaving Berkhamsted we come to Bourne End and Irishmen's lock, which it is claimed, commemorates Joseph Buck, a lock keeper who drowned on Christmas day 1898.

Another statement says that 'Sweeps' in Berko, were so named after a chimney sweep named Eli Oliffe who kept a boatmens store nearby.

Both new items to me, though we live and learn. Sergeant's book has some questionable details, and errors by omission in my view.

Edited by Derek R.

The very distinctive shape of the bridge at the lower end of the lock in one of the pictures Ray has posted is clearly Ironbridge.

I don't know if it was uncharacteristic, and he was just having a bad day, but I don't have entirely all fond memories of Mr Nicholl's operations with Arcturus.

We once found ourselves behind him, whilst he was doing a trip at certainly well under 2 mph. I made no attempt to pass, because obviously it is a frequently locked stretch, but he waved us past. He then proceeded to wind it on to the extent he was virtually pushing us along by our stern fender, and not being on a particularly fast boat, I could do nothing about it. His sole aim seemed to be to prove that he could go faster than us if he wanted to, but was choosing not to. I actually knew that without his display of aggression.

It was one of the most loutish bits of behavior I have ever experienced on the canals, and I have not been able to erase his actions from my memory in over 40 years - although the Reverend Martin Reed would doubtless have approved! I had done nothing to upset him, but perhaps he didn't like my long hair and/or somewhat scruffy boat!

Speaking of locks, (and perhaps a little game of I-Spy) anyone ever heard of a lock in the vicinity of Bourne End called "Irishmen's"? I haven't. John Sergeant in his heavy tome 'Barging round Britain' states that leaving Berkhamsted we come to Bourne End and Irishmen's lock, which it is claimed, commemorates Joseph Buck, a lock keeper who drowned on Christmas day 1898.

Another statement says that 'Sweeps' in Berko, were so named after a chimney sweep named Eli Oliffe who kept a boatmens store nearby.

Both new items to me, though we live and learn. Sergeant's book has some questionable details, and errors by omission in my view.

Joseph buck born approx. 1830 grew up in Hemel moved to the lock house Bovington in 1861 & married a canal girl then moved to winkwell lock about 1891 & became lock keeper this is the lock he drowned in locals & boatmen would often call the lock by the said lock keeper of the time . his post mrtum says drowned in his own lock x mas day 1898 suffocation by drowning with no evidence to show how he got into the water as it was xmas close with the lock being chained although he had spent the afternoon in the three horse shoes a few hundred yards away from his cottage . hope this helps

Thanks Jeannette, I've never heard the name "Irishman's" used for any of the three locks at Winkwell, and as he was born local - where's the Irish come from?? If there was a lock cottage at any of the three, it's gone without trace, but then so have several others. The next down is Slauters [sp?] which has a cottage beside it, but I fancy it was never a lock cottage. And that above the three Winkwell is Sewerage. I wonder if it was the middle one.

Thanks Jeannette, I've never heard the name "Irishman's" used for any of the three locks at Winkwell, and as he was born local - where's the Irish come from?? If there was a lock cottage at any of the three, it's gone without trace, but then so have several others. The next down is Slauters [sp?] which has a cottage beside it, but I fancy it was never a lock cottage. And that above the three Winkwell is Sewerage. I wonder if it was the middle one.

I also wondered about the irish man part but then wondered if it was called this in josephs era or john sergeants . the entry on the census prior to the cottage is the Three Horseshoes so that might give a clue .

Eli Oliffe was harder to find I believe I have him in the 1861 & 1891 census & he died weeks before the 1901 Census 1891 living in st Peters area of Berkhampstead born in Aylesbury living in George St married with 8 children occupation given as sweep/ coal merchant one of his sons is a sweep another a coal merchant . marine store dealer covers all sorts in the Census ie rag n bone man google describes this occupation as a person who buy's sell & sorts rags ,wood ect .I have even seen this to describle a bottle washer so wondering if the store was acc inside the coal yard I have been unable to find any mention of this.

Eli also lived next to a pub the Rising Sun

I also wondered about the irish man part but then wondered if it was called this in josephs era or john sergeants . the entry on the census prior to the cottage is the Three Horseshoes so that might give a clue .

Eli Oliffe was harder to find I believe I have him in the 1861 & 1891 census & he died weeks before the 1901 Census 1891 living in st Peters area of Berkhampstead born in Aylesbury living in George St married with 8 children occupation given as sweep/ coal merchant one of his sons is a sweep another a coal merchant . marine store dealer covers all sorts in the Census ie rag n bone man google describes this occupation as a person who buy's sell & sorts rags ,wood ect .I have even seen this to describle a bottle washer so wondering if the store was acc inside the coal yard I have been unable to find any mention of this.

Just googled the three horseshoe pub winkwell & it gives a pub on the canal there near a boat yard & some cottages I don't know the area but someone will

Excellent sleuthing Jeannette! The cottages by Winkwell swing bridge are indeed the most likely I think. Maybe he went off to check the lock below after experiencing some Christmas cheer.

It's a pretty area - I knew it well.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7464618,-0.5145506,3a,75y,327.03h,82.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s15XlkjcLDKhfJQkGOJuIWw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

The buildings beside the Rising Sun have been much changed these past twenty years (all a bit 'twee' nowadays), though I believe the passageway from just above the Riser still gains access to the street, and a likely access to any small yard beside the pub.

Edited by Derek R.

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2017 at 16:15, David Schweizer said:

I have two copies of the original News Chronicle I-SPY booklet "Boats and Waterways", issued in the early 1950's. (price 6d) The first three pages are devoted to Narrowboats and includes the unrealistic suggestion that "You may be invited to see the horse brasses inside the cabin too"

But only if you have your "Redskin" badge. :)

Page 4 and 5.jpg

Edited by Ray T