Can anyone recommend a heater that does not use much or any electricity?

ALAN DENMAN

Featured Posts

The stern end of my boat is freezing! But I don't want to constantly run my noisey & expensive diesel powered central heating all the time. Is there a small heater, perhaps paraffin, gas or something else that is safe to use, easy to install and that would heat just this room inexpensively? I already have a multi fuel stove but that is at the other end of my 70 foot boat.

Many thanks!

Edited by ALAN DENMAN

The stern end of my boat is freezing! But I don't want to constantly run my noisey & expensive diesel powered central heating all the time. Is there a small heater, perhaps paraffin, gas or something else that is safe to use, easy to install and that would heat just this room inexpensively? I already have a multi fuel stove but that is at the other end of my 70 foot boat.

Many thanks!

Plenty of 70 footers have a stove at each end. We had a sea going boat with a nice stainless steel parrafin heater on years ago I forget the name but someone will know it after they read this post.

Paraffin will add condensation unless it's a flue type heater.

Gas is a no no in this situation.

You on shore power?

thanks Robbo, and

Plenty of 70 footers have a stove at each end. We had a sea going boat with a nice stainless steel parrafin heater on years ago I forget the name but someone will know it after they read this post.

thanks, yes was considering that option but don't really the spare space that end..

no, we have no onshore power.

Thats the one it was a Taylor I believe and good.

thanx!

Two stoves, as suggested by mrsmelly, is the obvious answer and probably the cheapest in terms of installation. Or perhaps have your central heating run from a back boiler on your existing stove. I'm sure that some sort of changeover valve could be incorporated to change from the diesel heater to the stove and back. having said that that will not be cheap to do and getting someone to do it would be difficult. I certainly wouldn't be looking at free standing type heaters such as parrafin or gas on a boat or even in my house for that matter.

I do have a portable paraffin heater on my boat whilst I fit it out, it's the Inverter make, uses a little bit of power at around 8-13watt on has sensors for CO, bumps etc. However it does add to the condensation. The other type of portable paraffin heaters don't really have the safety features as they are the wick type.

Plys it's the 'dieselly end' where he needs the heat smile.png

Yes and he currently heats it with his central heating so that implies there is already a radiator there!

Ooops, I thought you were being sarcy as I read that as Please - just seen your correction - so no worries.

Edited by mross

Diesel will be the cheapest. You could try an electric heater but you will spend more. You could get a silencer fitted to your diesel heater.

thanks mross, sounds like turning on my diesel central heating may well be cheapest way to go? I am able to turn off the radiators in other rooms but when I asked the company that I bought the heating system from he said it used up the same amount of diesel to run 1 radiator as to run all 4, which seems odd...would you agree? (I'm pretty new to boating so wasn't sure)

I like the idea of a silencer, do you know where I should go to buy this?

thanks mross, sounds like turning on my diesel central heating may well be cheapest way to go? I am able to turn off the radiators in other rooms but when I asked the company that I bought the heating system from he said it used up the same amount of diesel to run 1 radiator as to run all 4, which seems odd...would you agree? (I'm pretty new to boating so wasn't sure)

Putting the pumps on better rubber isolation thingies will also help quieten down the heater.

Another possibility is a small Refleks like this one on ebay at the moment link

Refleks also do a bulkhead version. Although the Taylor's looks nicer IMHO.

What make and model is your diesel boiler? I think your boiler might overheat if you use it on only one rad. My Mikuni runs until I get warm and then I turn it off. It's not designed to stop and start. But mine does get the boatman's cabin warm.

Edited by mross

What make and model is your diesel boiler? I think your boiler might overheat if you use it on only one rad. My Mikuni runs until I get warm and then I turn it off. It's not designed to stop and start. But mine does get the boatman's cabin warm.

its an MV5 central heating system. thanx for the tip being careful just running one rad.

The stern end of my boat is freezing! But I don't want to constantly run my noisey & expensive diesel powered central heating all the time. Is there a small heater, perhaps paraffin, gas or something else that is safe to use, easy to install and that would heat just this room inexpensively?

I'm struggling to reconcile this with your thread title.

Your headline says you want a heater that uses little or no leccy, but your body text says you want something cheap to run.

I'd say only a solid fuel stove fully fits the bill on both counts.

I am able to turn off the radiators in other rooms but when I asked the company that I bought the heating system from he said it used up the same amount of diesel to run 1 radiator as to run all 4, which seems odd...would you agree?

Don't turn them off but turn them down and leave bedroom on full so it warms up quicker and you can switch CH off sooner which will save diesel. December's Tillergraph, page 49, has a piece about balancing radiators which seems to help a bit:

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk//launch.aspx?eid=867b2e01-e3da-4c8a-8416-aa902bb8a21b

There is another option which is a series of small 12V fans (computer cooling fans = ideal) on cieling running along from above stove to bedroom.

Edited by nikvah