Can anyone recommend a heater that does not use much or any electricity?

ALAN DENMAN

Featured Posts

Ive been thru the same considerations . I wanted an extra heat source for the back end of my 58ft trad . It too had to take up little space .

To my mind this left few options of which none were " inexpensive" .

Eberspatcher / webasto hot air blower tupe heater .

Small floor mounted stove : Pipsqueak / boatman / and another very nice one ... cant remember name but sold at Uxbridge boat centre - very small & very nice

Solid fuel bulkhead mounted stove ( to retain floor space ) : Davey hotpot & Dickinson marine .

Bulkhead mounted Diesel / paraffin . Taylors / Dickinson marine .

None of options were cheap . The least expensive would be the boatman stove plus hearth plus flue etc .

I bided my time , lurked on ebay and eventually ( as in one year ) bought a complete brass Taylors paraffin heater for just under £400 .

Not had a chance to fit it this winter so cannot comment on its performance but theyre very trusted by yachty types .

In my research these were the only options for an extra heat source at the back and as i say none were cheap really but then again maybe a second hand boatman or similar could be got on ebay but it could be a waiting game

cheers

Don't turn them off but turn them down and leave bedroom on full so it warms up quicker and you can switch CH off sooner which will save diesel. December's Tillergraph, page 49, has a piece about balancing radiators which seems to help a bit:

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk//launch.aspx?eid=867b2e01-e3da-4c8a-8416-aa902bb8a21b

There is another option which is a series of small 12V fans (computer cooling fans = ideal) on cieling running along from above stove to bedroom.

It's interesting the way the header tank is plumbed in using two pipes. Not seen that method before but it kinda makes sense!

Gas or petrol incur huge penalty costs to achieve BSS compliance. Anything with a flame needs a flue and an air feed. Solid fuel is almost always the cheapest. Having a back boiler in the existing stove and sending hot water round the boat to rads is possible the nicest solution, getting a silencer for the existing diesel heater is probably the cheapest option -if it's exhaust noise that bothers you.

Gas or petrol incur huge penalty costs to achieve BSS compliance. Anything with a flame needs a flue and an air feed. Solid fuel is almost always the cheapest. Having a back boiler in the existing stove and sending hot water round the boat to rads is possible the nicest solution, getting a silencer for the existing diesel heater is probably the cheapest option -if it's exhaust noise that bothers you.

This.

It just HAS to be the cheapest option. Making the existing diesel heater run quietly.