Carry on Barging

max's son

Featured Posts

Four celebs, two barges and limited canal boat driving experience - what could possibly go wrong?

its full of dramatic crashes, bumping boats Channel 5 programme Fridays 10pm

The celebs will be taking on two of Britain's favourite canals - the Kennet & Avon, in south-west England, and the Llangollen, which borders England and Wales.

It seemed to take 2 days getting from Bath to Bathampton and they hope to get to Devizes in four in the first episode

We watched the first episode a couple of days ago. It was good fun, largely on account of the actors' and actresses' personalities. Nigel Havers seems as urbane and unflappable in real life (if that's what it is) as he does in his acting roles. I still can't think of Lorraine Chase without Luton Airport springing to mind.

One thing I wondered: I assume that the brace of boats are hire craft, though I didn't recognise the livery. Why did they choose such blooming enormous boats (69 feet and 57 feet) for a bunch of beginners?

One thing I wondered: I assume that the brace of boats are hire craft, though I didn't recognise the livery. Why did they choose such blooming enormous boats (69 feet and 57 feet) for a bunch of beginners?

Decency's need for two bedrooms without the poor dears having to make up a dinette - even though we have been told they did not sleep on the boats a short while ago.

Sally LIne from Bradford I beleive.

• Greenie 1

It doesn't say that on my computer. The ever-vigilant Graham Davis pointed out that the thread 'Crashing Again' had also been about this T.V. programme; but, as it has now meandered off in a different direction, I can see no harm in letting both of them run.

We came across them on the Llangollen in September and I can confirm the "crashing" epithet ...only some nifty steering by OH meant we didn't crash into Nigel as we came through a blind bridge and yes we had slowed down and tooted loudly laugh.png but I have to say that they were all charming and entered into some friendly banter on the subject ! So on that episode if they show a near miss with a blue boat then we will have had our 5 mins of fame !

Tizzie

We watched the first episode a couple of days ago. It was good fun, largely on account of the actors' and actresses' personalities. Nigel Havers seems as urbane and unflappable in real life (if that's what it is) as he does in his acting roles. I still can't think of Lorraine Chase without Luton Airport springing to mind.

Lorraine Chase has, or at least did have, a canal side property on the Leeds & Liverpool.

Tim

Especially when they could have gone a bit further up and hired to fat long ones captain.gif

Just watched Ep 1.

Fair play to Callow who did appear to show genuine remorse after being soundly shouted at by the owner of the boat he seriously clobbered.

I smiled wryly at the singing couple who stated they were at the pub every Tuesday who, when asked if their boat moved at all, remarked "Oh yes, we're continuous cruisers. We move every 14 days".

• Greenie 1

I smiled wryly at the singing couple who stated they were at the pub every Tuesday who, when asked if their boat moved at all, remarked "Oh yes, we're continuous cruisers. We move every 14 days".

That bit did make me wonder how for they travelled if they managed to get back to the same pub each week, then I realised they were probably using the same map that has their picture on. With a map like that they can do a few miles and then walk a short cut back across one of the extra bends.

That bit did make me wonder how for they travelled if they managed to get back to the same pub each week, then I realised they were probably using the same map that has their picture on. With a map like that they can do a few miles and then walk a short cut back across one of the extra bends.

:lol:

It did occur to me that they may have a car and did not necessarily moor their boat there every Tuesday.

I quite enjoyed the programme smile.png

I would bet money they havnt even seen the caen hill flight let alone gone up it.

I would bet money they havnt even seen the caen hill flight let alone gone up it.

But surely Havers' butler will set the locks in between topping up the crews' glasses with chilled, effervescent liquid?

A few years ago there was a detective series called 'Inspector Lindley'; his female sidekick was called "Havers" and I used to wonder if the name was a joke, as she was portrayed as a woman of working-class origin, quite the antithesis of the patrician Nigel.

Lorraine Chase has, or at least did have, a canal side property on the Leeds & Liverpool.

Tim

She did she also went out with Chris Chittel who had a 10 x 57 widebeam called elsie, I know both of them, and can say that she could steer the boat better than Chris and have been on the boat when said steering was happening..........................

But surely Havers' butler will set the locks in between topping up the crews' glasses with chilled, effervescent liquid?

A few years ago there was a detective series called 'Inspector Lindley'; his female sidekick was called "Havers" and I used to wonder if the name was a joke, as she was portrayed as a woman of working-class origin, quite the antithesis of the patrician Nigel.

We were on about the CC'ers who appeared at the same pub every week.