Carry on Barging

max's son

Featured Posts

The one you quoted was.

Ambiguous actually, as it mentioned the CCers and the programme (and therefore, by extension, its stars) but anyway, I know what I was talking about and I sincerely hope that you do also.

Ok read both of the threads but could see it what was the wooden boat in the first episode? She had a sign inside with fmc but i cant think of a wooden josher it could be.

It had the 'snakes' on the bow like the ones Raymond and Lucy have so could it be Hazel?

Edit to add: The Nursers Hazel, not the recently restored one up north :)

Edited by IanM

At the beginning of this program the narrator mentioned 3000 miles of inland waterways, I thought there were only 2000 miles. So has there been a 1000 miles of canals dug recently that I'm not aware of, or is there actually 3000 miles?

Rather bewildering isnt it.

At the beginning of this program the narrator mentioned 3000 miles of inland waterways, I thought there were only 2000 miles. So has there been a 1000 miles of canals dug recently that I'm not aware of, or is there actually 3000 miles?

4700 miles according to an IWA excercise:

https://www.waterways.org.uk/downloads/iwa_directory_to_the_inland_waterways_of_great_britain_100516

Tim

What a terrible programme!! I successfully managed to miss the first one.....I'm regretting not missing this one....

What happened to making good factual television?

There was a fair amount of fax'n'info, notably about the Floight and the Wilts & Berks project, and as last week, the appealing personalities of the boaters brought the programme to life (does Nigel Havers EVER get flustered? He even stayed cool and calm whilst navigating through a tree).

If I have one criticism, it's that Callow should have knocked up sausages & mash in the galley rather than that inappropriately poncy Moroccan dish.

We both thoroughly enjoyed both episodes and looking forward to them exploring the Llangollen - territory far more familiar to us.

Isn't Lorraine Chase fantastic? I'd love to have so much positivity and joi de vivre! (Had to fight the autowrong for that last bit :D)

Ok read both of the threads but could see it what was the wooden boat in the first episode? She had a sign inside with fmc but i cant think of a wooden josher it could be.

It had the 'snakes' on the bow like the ones Raymond and Lucy have so could it be Hazel?

Edit to add: The Nursers Hazel, not the recently restored one up north smile.png

I thought that had a step in the cabin or is that the other one? As couldnt see the step in the program

At 84 years would put her build around the late 20s - mid 30s

I've not watched the program, but if it has been filmed at any time in the last year or so, then the Nurser Hazel" cannot possibly be on the K&A, because it has been sat out of water near Rugby on the Northern Oxford for at least that long.

Without looking it up, I'm sure Hazel was towards the very end of boats built at Nursers, so is a relative youngster in working boat terms.

. I believe this boat is Aster, Josher built in 1932.

Not for the first time I'm very glad I'm not most people

I actualy thought it quite a laugh, its absolutely nowt to do with boating a bit like Top gear was nowt to do with cars. I do agree with you though that I too am glad I am not most people. Over 99 percent of tv is absolutely horrendous who on earth watches such as Jeremy Kyle, Big brother, The apprentice etc etc etc etc its mind numbing nonsense.

As we see it, this programme is amazing PR for the canals as well as being informative about restoration, also about how to do some things and not to do others. So no sniping from this part of France.

Now you've said a mouthful! There's a rumour that France has a few canals. Let's send the Fab Four downthe Nivernais. Progress would be slow, as they'd never be able to keep Havers out of the vineyards.

Isn't Lorraine Chase fantastic? I'd love to have so much positivity and joi de vivre! (Had to fight the autowrong for that last bit biggrin.png)

...and I'm afraid it beat you by the odd goal.