Coffee machine won't run on new boat

Amber34

Featured Posts

How many Italians suffer from dementia? Two thirds the amount of UK citizens. And everyone in Italy (and most Spaniards too) use those coffee percs.

Interesting statistics: http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/alzheimers-dementia/by-country/

You can't see much aluminium on the inside of mine. Apparently washing with detergent is an absolute no-no too.

My daughter has replaced her broken Nespresso machine with a new one and the taste of the coffee from the same pods is much better, more intense, more so even than our fairly new Nespresso U. Bit of a mystery

I suppose electrical gadgets on a boat are unnecessary, like canals and boats generally, frivolous things, toys really. But that's the thing, toys are FUN.

Anyone done a Google search on the environmental impact of coffee pods?

anyone give a toss?

anyone realise how much aluminium you have to eat to increase dementia risk?

anyone thought about a stainless moka machine?

no? didn't think so.

i could have probably found it quicker if i knew what is was called....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/gas-ring-reducer

not convinced about the name but it looks like ebay is struggling too.

Interestingly in all the kitchens I worked in as a chef, they all had aluminium cookware, enamel? No, Stainless Steel? No just aluminium.

Phil

Interestingly in all the kitchens I worked in as a chef, they all had aluminium cookware, enamel? No, Stainless Steel? No just aluminium.

Phil

Dont the water companies use it to dose the drinking water with http://www.kemira.com/en/industries-applications/pages/aluminium-sulfate.aspx

We have one, though the coffee is nice it's a lot of faff to use, much handier to use our Nespresso, or instant!

I remember the Cona from my youth, made good coffee right enough and fascinating to watch. OTOH, the capsules are quicker and everyone gets their preferred kind of coffee.

We have one, though the coffee is nice it's a lot of faff to use, much handier to use our Nespresso, or instant!

This is the common method of making coffee in Scandanavian countries where most cafes let you top up.

Just be careful it hasn't been standing for long because stewed coffee is truly awful.

I find it faintly amusing that my earlier post should have provoked responses about aluminium and alzheimers* but none about the environmental impact of discarded capsules.

*Most researchers no longer regard aluminum as a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease. However, some researchers are still examining whether some people are at risk because their bodies have difficulties in handling foods containing the metals copper, iron, and aluminum.

This is the common method of making coffee in Scandanavian countries where most cafes let you top up.

Just be careful it hasn't been standing for long because stewed coffee is truly awful.

I find it faintly amusing that my earlier post should have provoked responses about aluminium and alzheimers* but none about the environmental impact of discarded capsules.

*Most researchers no longer regard aluminum as a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease. However, some researchers are still examining whether some people are at risk because their bodies have difficulties in handling foods containing the metals copper, iron, and aluminum.

There are a number of options for recycling capsules - Starbucks and Nespresso are the two I use

There are a number of options for recycling capsules - Starbucks and Nespresso are the two I use

"How many capsules are recycled? Nestle won’t say, instead focusing on its recycling capacity. By email, a spokeswoman explained:

“Given multiple recycling options, any estimate of consumer recycling rates would be inaccurate, so we focus on recycling capacity as a concrete measurement of our progress … Recycling is a shared responsibility and consumers’ participation is essential.”
True enough. But if most of the aluminum ends up in landfills, that tell us something important about Nespresso – that its recycling efforts, however well-intentioned, are failing. This is a problem any responsible company needs to admit, and address."
You are, of course, free to drink whatever you like, made however you like, brewed through the bras of virgins if that turns you on, but please please don't try and tell me there's an environmental plus to your choice.
That's just ridiculous.
Edited by hounddog

"How many capsules are recycled? Nestle won’t say, instead focusing on its recycling capacity. By email, a spokeswoman explained:

“Given multiple recycling options, any estimate of consumer recycling rates would be inaccurate, so we focus on recycling capacity as a concrete measurement of our progress … Recycling is a shared responsibility and consumers’ participation is essential.”

True enough. But if most of the aluminum ends up in landfills, that tell us something important about Nespresso – that its recycling efforts, however well-intentioned, are failing. This is a problem any responsible company needs to admit, and address.Æ

The convenience of the capsule system does explain their success, and this is understandable and all part of how people like to live now.

On the other hand, just using a cafetière, filter system or espresso machine makes a great cup of coffee (as far as I am concerned).

The only gripe as far as I can see with the capsule system is the amount of packaging and "added value" otherwise known as profit, that is inherent in the process, along with the waste that seems unavoidable. Personally I will not buy in to the capsule system. Probably because of my age, I dislike paying through the nose for convenience.

The convenience of the capsule system does explain their success, and this is understandable and all part of how people like to live now.

On the other hand, just using a cafetière, filter system or espresso machine makes a great cup of coffee (as far as I am concerned).

The only gripe as far as I can see with the capsule system is the amount of packaging and "added value" otherwise known as profit, that is inherent in the process, along with the waste that seems unavoidable. Personally I will not buy in to the capsule system. Probably because of my age, I dislike paying through the nose for convenience.

Exactly this. My partner was set to get one, then we stayed with friends and had to replace what we used......

....at €64 the kilo.

That did it for me even without considering the waste problem although I have stopped buying bottle water on packaging grounds.

I was brought up with phones that were free to sell the airtime and inkjet printers costing next to nothing to sell the ink, the capsule scam is just the latest of these.

True enough. But if most of the aluminum ends up in landfills, that tell us something important about Nespresso – that its recycling efforts, however well-intentioned, are failing. This is a problem any responsible company needs to admit, and address."

You are, of course, free to drink whatever you like, made however you like, brewed through the bras of virgins if that turns you on, but please please don't try and tell me there's an environmental plus to your choice.

That's just ridiculous.

Yes the waste aluminium capsules is a factor, although I'm unconvinced it's the most significant factor in coffee drinking. Far worse is the slash and burn of virgin rainforest for coffee plantations, chemicals used etc. You could argue that aluminium came from the ground and it's just getting put back in the ground, it's not like it's going to leach anything nasty anywhere, and it is already a very abundant metal in the ground.

All that said it would be good if more was recycled, we do recycle ours at home but not on the boat. But then I typically have 1 capsule per day so, compared to the waste packaging from supermarkets, it's a pretty minimal waste overhead.

Yes the waste aluminium capsules is a factor, although I'm unconvinced it's the most significant factor in coffee drinking. Far worse is the slash and burn of virgin rainforest for coffee plantations, chemicals used etc. You could argue that aluminium came from the ground and it's just getting put back in the ground, it's not like it's going to leach anything nasty anywhere, and it is already a very abundant metal in the ground.

All that said it would be good if more was recycled, we do recycle ours at home but not on the boat. But then I typically have 1 capsule per day so, compared to the waste packaging from supermarkets, it's a pretty minimal waste overhead.

I'm not sure I'd compare waste packaging from supermarkets with anything when trying to make a low impact argument.

You could be right about the global impact of coffee farming. Your capsules are fair trade then?

My daughter has replaced her broken Nespresso machine with a new one and the taste of the coffee from the same pods is much better, more intense, more so even than our fairly new Nespresso U. Bit of a mystery

I suppose electrical gadgets on a boat are unnecessary, like canals and boats generally, frivolous things, toys really. But that's the thing, toys are FUN.

Different water will make two very different tasting coffees with the same gadget.

I'm not sure I'd compare waste packaging from supermarkets with anything when trying to make a low impact argument.

You could be right about the global impact of coffee farming. Your capsules are fair trade then?

Well they're Nespresso ones - don't know, probably not. Isn't fair trade about pricing and labour practices, rather than about not creating new plantations on virgin ground?

And most of the clone capsules are plastic and can be recycled in the ordinary way.

I don't worry about aluminium capsules as they are coated inside to keep it from cotact with the coffee but I do take care not let acidic food come into contact with aluminium cookware, I wouldn't entertain an aluminium kettle in a soft water area for instance where it is slightly acidic.

I don't worry about aluminium capsules as they are coated inside to keep it from cotact with the coffee but I do take care not let acidic food come into contact with aluminium cookware, I wouldn't entertain an aluminium kettle in a soft water area for instance where it is slightly acidic.

For what reason?

You didn't understand my quote from the Alzheimer's society?

For what reason?

You didn't understand my quote from the Alzheimer's society?

I didn't read it, I've always kept an open mind about the alleged link between Alzheimer's and aluminium but I try to avoid ingesting it in case it has other negative effects. Because it may not cause Alzheimer's doesn't put it in the clear altogether.

ETA: Correction I read your quote but not the link.

Edited by nb Innisfree

Surely the point is if people recycle all their aluminium packaging they will automatically recycle the Nespresso. If they aren't recycling their aluminium from other sources then they wont recycle the Nespresso.

So IMO it isn't a Nespresso problem but a general recycling consideration.

I'm not a Coffee drinker, but I wouldn't mind a Cona Coffee Maker... - No electric required!

cona-with-lamp.jpg

Cheaper options on Amazon than the cona, search coffee syphon and couple it with a butane burner, the meth burners are not that good, can get both for about £50. Edited by Dave Payne