Coffee machine won't run on new boat

Amber34

Featured Posts

Whenever we've hired before, I've taken my little Nespresso coffee machine and it's worked without hesitation.

We've now bought our own (ex hire) boat and picked her up this weekend. Tired of dragging the machine from home, I purchased one for the boat. It didn't work. Called Nespresso and they concluded it has an electrical fault and we should send it back. I sent himself out on a mission of mercy to buy me a replacement machine (twice the price of the one I bought!), got it back to the boat and it didn't work.

The lights come on, you can feel it heating up, but it won't pump the water through. Nespresso help line declared a problem with the pump and told me to take it back.

Took it into the marina office and it works perfectly!

This indicates an issue with the power on the boat; maybe the inverter? (I am guessing now)

The hairdryer (230-240v), microwave and toaster all appear to work just fine off the same socket. I've tried the coffee maker in various other sockets and am now at a loss.

Can anyone suggest a solution please? The only thing I can think of at the moment is to try my old machine from home and see if that works, being an older model with a track history of working on boats, but we won't be back for about a month. If there's an issue with the inverter, we'd like to flag it with the vendor before the weekend is over.

Thanks in advance

Power Q Inverter, 1800w, 12v, 24v

Coffee machine is 220-240v, 50-60 Hz, <1260w

This is a quasi-sine rather than a pure sine wave inverter.

Try using your old Nespresso machine with it. It is likely that the electronics in the newer machines don't like the shape of the electrical waveform of your inverter.

Our small Nespresso machine will run on the boat, but very unevenly, so I've given up using it there. It's fine on straight mains power in our lodge. Combi is a Mastervolt 2.5kVA and it happens both on invert and mains pass through on the shoreline. I guess it's something to do with the control chip in the machine arguing with the inverter controller, but goodness knows what. As with the OP, everything else, washing machine, laptops and so on, run just fine.

I use an Aeropress on the boat instead, coffee flavour not quite as good but still massively better than instant.

Thanks folks, I'll try the old one here and the new one for the house.

My concern was that the inverter is faulty.

We've not got a shoreline at the moment and as leisure cruisers without a home base, unlikely to be hooked up all that often.

Whenever we've hired before, I've taken my little Nespresso coffee machine and it's worked without hesitation.

We've now bought our own (ex hire) boat and picked her up this weekend. Tired of dragging the machine from home, I purchased one for the boat. It didn't work. Called Nespresso and they concluded it has an electrical fault and we should send it back. I sent himself out on a mission of mercy to buy me a replacement machine (twice the price of the one I bought!), got it back to the boat and it didn't work.

The lights come on, you can feel it heating up, but it won't pump the water through. Nespresso help line declared a problem with the pump and told me to take it back.

Took it into the marina office and it works perfectly!

This indicates an issue with the power on the boat; maybe the inverter? (I am guessing now)

The hairdryer (230-240v), microwave and toaster all appear to work just fine off the same socket. I've tried the coffee maker in various other sockets and am now at a loss.

Can anyone suggest a solution please? The only thing I can think of at the moment is to try my old machine from home and see if that works, being an older model with a track history of working on boats, but we won't be back for about a month. If there's an issue with the inverter, we'd like to flag it with the vendor before the weekend is over.

Thanks in advance

My solution would be to dispense with the Coffee machine they are realy made for houses which a boat is not. We use cafetieres or instant.

Very common problem with Quasi-SW inverters and microprocessors. Washing machines are the usual problem. Things like toasters and kettles will work fine as the quasi wave will still heat the element as it is not trying to do anything clever.

You need a good quality sine wave inverter, and even then some microprocessors have a fit. Plug-type power supplies can also get cooked by quasi waves.

Yet more 21st century british " first world problems "

Kettle , hob , gas , matches , cafettiere ....... coffee

Easy really innit .

But then again im obviously mad because ive failed to take the opportunity to create stress & worry by using unnecessary power from my batteries to power unecessary crap gadgets

Sounds to me that with a toaster , a hairdryer a microwave and a poncey coffee machine that you should make sure youre equipped suitably for a good deal if battery charging .

Time for a cuppa ...... where are the matches ??

cheers

Edited by chubby

Sounds to me that with a toaster , a hairdryer a microwave and a poncey coffee machine that you should make sure youre equipped suitably for a good deal if battery charging .

That is one of the major benefits of hiring - you are either :

1) limited as to what electrical appliances you can use, or

2) take a load of electrical stuff with you, 'booger the batteries' and 'walk away' at the end of the week without a care in the world

When it is your own boat, you need a bit more understanding, or very deep pockets.