Body found in Bridgewater Canal

Liam

Featured Posts

Over the last few years there have been literally dozens of bodies found the canals around Manchester, there was even a documentary on TV about it but the police have said virtually non are 'suspicious'...... although the locals, and relatives of the dead, believe it is someone they have named 'the Pusher'

There was a similar event some years back on the stretch between denham deep and harefield marina, with a boat traveling at night. I had a grim vision of someone reaching into the weed hatch and shaking hands with the unfortunate cadaver..

Another victim of the pusher?

It seems that every single person pushed in by "The Pusher" has drowned, which is quite an achievement.

The fact that no-one has come forward to say that someone tried to push them in, but failed, or that someone pushed them in but they got away and climbed out away from "The Pusher", is pretty much proof that there is no such individual.

I fell in the Bridgewater a couple of years ago, and it was so cold that I thought my days were over - I managed to scramble out by getting a foot on the ledge. If I hadn't made it, I guess my death would have been blamed on "The Pusher", but the truth would have been that it was slippy mud that killed me.

An Urban Myth that some people, and the media, seem to need to fill their lives or papers and TV screens :(

• Greenie 3

It seems that every single person pushed in by "The Pusher" has drowned, which is quite an achievement.

The fact that no-one has come forward to say that someone tried to push them in, but failed, or that someone pushed them in but they got away and climbed out away from "The Pusher", is pretty much proof that there is no such individual.

I fell in the Bridgewater a couple of years ago, and it was so cold that I thought my days were over - I managed to scramble out by getting a foot on the ledge. If I hadn't made it, I guess my death would have been blamed on "The Pusher", but the truth would have been that it was slippy mud that killed me.

An Urban Myth that some people, and the media, seem to need to fill their lives or papers and TV screens :(

He's very clever at covering his tracks, you didn't even feel the push did you.......

Well it seems odd that it only appears to be on that stretch of Canal. There are plenty of other canals which pass through city centres let alone the full network but you don't hear much about people drowning in those. Then again....... I still believe Diana was murdered...ninja.gif

This came up about 6 months ago because of local stirrings. At hat time a member on nhere suggested late night peeing whilst under the influence was to blame. I agree. In York there is a constant stream of mainly young men, on a night out, entering the water in the erly hours. Usually found with the fishes a few days or weeks later. Similar happens in Norwich and Bristol to name a few.

Find a quiet secluded spot by the canal/river. Stand ner the edge. Get snake out of trousers. Wobble a bit. Snake does not aim correctly - adjust hold, direction, stance..wobble. Fall in. No one to notice. Have a good long drink....

• Greenie 1

This came up about 6 months ago because of local stirrings. At hat time a member on nhere suggested late night peeing whilst under the influence was to blame. I agree. In York there is a constant stream of mainly young men, on a night out, entering the water in the erly hours. Usually found with the fishes a few days or weeks later. Similar happens in Norwich and Bristol to name a few.

Find a quiet secluded spot by the canal/river. Stand ner the edge. Get snake out of trousers. Wobble a bit. Snake does not aim correctly - adjust hold, direction, stance..wobble. Fall in. No one to notice. Have a good long drink....

A lot of the ones found in the center of manchester were found in close proximity to canal street, an area with around 30 pubs and clubs that is usually busy even in the early hours of the morning with a 12-15 foot drop into the canal..

also other areas nearby (alongside the canal) are well known for other reasons (people in this area may be unwilling to contact emergency services if anything happened here fearing that it may raise questions as to why they were there).

I think it's just a case that manchester has a higher number of drunk / high young people in close proximity to the canal

• Greenie 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/11/2017 at 11:36, Richard10002 said:

This doesn't really hold water in my opinion. If I'd been pushed in and managed to climb out, I'd be far more inclined to make my way home to dry off and warm up rather than call the police. And later, if I went to a police station to report the incident, I can imagine being treated with scorn and amusement rather than having my report studiously logged and cross-checked for similar incidents months apart. I might be wrong but fear of not being taken seriously would probably prevent me investing a couple of hours in attempting to report.

Well it seems the police treated this as a very serious incident indeed.  "Dozens of Police vehicles" our intrepid reporter said.  Dozens?  Even if it was only the bare minimum 2 dozen required to make it plural dozens that's 24 vehicles. No wonder people put 2 and 2 together to make 5 with exaggerated reporting like this; even in the heyday of police numbers I doubt they mustered 24+ vehicles at a Yorkshire Ripper scene.  It's bad enough that some poor sod has lost his life in a canal without idiot reporters making the event into a circus.

• Greenie 1

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

But they didn't all die, unlike the Manchester one where not one has got away to tell the tale

A few weeks ago a cyclist was pushed into the Bridgewater and the attacker tried to stop him getting out.... but he managed to swim away, perhaps to the other bank, and survived - so at least one has got away, and was able to give a description to the police.

• 2 months later...
On 09/05/2018 at 22:13, Richard10002 said:

A few weeks ago a cyclist was pushed into the Bridgewater and the attacker tried to stop him getting out.... but he managed to swim away, perhaps to the other bank, and survived - so at least one has got away, and was able to give a description to the police.

If the police seriously thought there was a "pusher", and that this was their man, I think they would be putting some effort into catching a mass murderer but I hear nothing!

George

• 1 month later...