Gas Safe

Markymark

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I've got a BSS cert up in March, in need of a gas safe person local to London that's used to BSS certs to install hob and cooker and check Boiler. Any Ideas.

Thanks in advance

Markymark

Uxbridge Boat Centre
Telephone01895 252019
Fax01895 811035
Address
Uxbridge Wharf Waterloo Road

UXBRIDGE

Middlesex

UB8 2QX

United Kingdom

Rubbish.

Couldn't have put it better.... well... maybe "kindly quote verbatim any manufacturer's warranty that requires installation by a gas safe registered engineer (sic)"

And anyway, consumer rights act usurps any silly terms in a manufacturer's warranty.

Rubbish.

A.really quick Google has found this-

"Most boiler warranties, including Baxi's, require that your appliance is fitted by a Gas Safe registered engineer, and is registered within 30 days of installation"

From the Baxi website.

This is about domestic.gas boilers (which you're far more.of an expert on than me) so do the kind of gas appliances fitted to boats not have similar stipulations? I suppose it would be an easy way for a manufacturer to get out of warranty claims, e.g. "Oh, your installer wasn't Gas Safe, must've been a faulty installation leading to this failure."

"Most boiler warranties, including Baxi's, require that your appliance is fitted by a Gas Safe registered engineer, and is registered within 30 days of installation"

From the Baxi website.

This is about domestic.gas boilers (which you're far more.of an expert on than me) so do the kind of gas appliances fitted to boats not have similar stipulations? I suppose it would be an easy way for a manufacturer to get out of warranty claims, e.g. "Oh, your installer wasn't Gas Safe, must've been a faulty installation leading to this failure."

True but 1/ more fool you if you buy a baxi

2/ other better and more popular boiler manufacturers such as Worcester don't have such protectionist terms

and 3/ as I said, the consumer protection act means warranty ts and cs dont really matter.

From the Baxi website.

In practice most boiler manufacturers will happily accept a genuine guarantee claim, including Baxi, whether or not installed by a Gas Safe bod. There is no legal obligation for ALL installations to be carried out by Gas Safe installers, just most.

The reality however is 99% of all claims are caused by poor installation work, and Gas Safe bods are just as capable of nailing in a boiler as fast as possible taking all the short cuts as a non GRS bod. So a manufacturer who considers a guarantee claim is taking the p!ss will generally rely on "not installed in accordance with installation instructions", and cite the instruction ignored. It will usually be related to water cleanliness, quality or incorrect pipework.

On boats, any old Tom Dick or Harry can install gas appliances (except on liveaboards) so any manufacturer demanding installation by a GSR bod is going to run immediately into heavy opposition.

and Gas Safe bods are just as capable of nailing in a boiler as fast as possible taking all the short cuts as a non GRS bod. So a manufacturer who considers a guarantee claim is taking the p!ss will generally rely on "not installed in accordance with installation instructions", and cite the instruction ignored. It will usually be related to water cleanliness, quality or incorrect pipework.

But a GasSafe bod will have had some of his installations inspected. This proves he is capable of doing the job properly. So, surely, he is a better bet, all things equal, than a non-registered bod.

Could a boat job registered with GasSafe not be inspected later by them?

But a GasSafe bod will have had some of his installations inspected. This proves he is capable of doing the job properly. This proves he is capable of doing the job properly. S So, surely, he is a better bet, all things equal, than a non-registered bod.

No.

This is a myth CORGI previously and GSR these days are happy to allow the Great British Public to assume and fail to correct them.

Firstly, any Gas Safe inspection ONLY considers gas safety. Water system design, fixing it to the wall, cleansing and flushing, electrical standards, business ethics, in fact anything that isn't directly related to gas safety is of no interest to GSR during a competence inspection.

Secondly, during an inspection we, the gas bods nominate which installations are to be inspected. So bods at the dodgy end of the spectrum always keep a couple of 'good' installations ready for any surprise demand from GSR to see some installations for inspection.

And even then, GSR ore ONLY concerned the installation complies with the GSIUR.

From the Baxi website.

Depends on which warranty. Our Worcester boiler came with a long warranty, the first couple of years will be covered by the legislation (sales of goods???) but the rest of the warranty is conditional on having it serviced every year by a gas safe registered person. I was warned that Worcester will want to see the service history if making a claim after the first two years. I can see that if you wanted to claim and it had been serviced by a non gas safe registered person, Worcester Bosch will require that the person servicing the boiler can demonstrate their competence, which if they are not registered they will probably fail to do to the satisfaction of Worcester Bosch.

True but 1/ more fool you if you buy a baxi

2/ other better and more popular boiler manufacturers such as Worcester don't have such protectionist terms

and 3/ as I said, the consumer protection act means warranty ts and cs dont really matter.

3/ That's what I thought. I don't think they can make you register for a guarantee to be effective, I thought that went out in about 1960

Registered gas fitters can and do cock up, I spoke to a boat tester who inspected to gas system on a new build and condemmed it because all of the joints had been soldered, and the gas fitter was marine gas safe registered

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-18078303

Some forthright and interesting comments to my remark about warranties. In my defence I have always felt that in order to ensure that the most obvious objections pursued by manufacturers to avoid warranty

claims their suggestions/conditions are applied where possible. I would also add that you try and get a

completion certificate from a Building Inspector where electric or gas installations are part of a

building control overseen project unless by previous agreement as a "competent person". I know this last comment does not apply to narrowboats but any surveyor might I suggest would include it as part of his

report/advice. A problem foreseen is a problem possibly avoided. So as far as I`m concerned NOT RUBBISH-but then that`s my view.

But then can you hold a view which is contrary to the facts? I guess The Flat Earth Society confirms that you can wink.png

Yes but the Flat Earth Society are perfectly aware of the facts and are just doing it to be plain awkward.

Oh... I see your point....