Tug Ezra For Sale

David Mack

Featured Posts

I am inclined to think that the engine is of little 'historical interest' as it is an industrial unit mated to a modern PRM gearbox, but clearly it has a reasonable exhaust note.

I am also confused by the length being quoted for EZRA as 37' when it appears to be licensed as 35', and the Tyler Wilson website states 36'. It would be nice if any potential purchasers knew what they were getting, and this also goes for the accompanying plan which does not give any dimensions captain.gif

An unusual take on an industrial installation, with the inclusion of a marine silencer. I don't think the overhead hand start would be easy to operate.

It did go, and now has had another 12 feet added.

That's a shame. At 50ft(ish) it was a well proportioned and handsome boat.

Agreed - some boats just have their proportions spoilt by a stretch and this was one of them.

One of the worst travesties to a tug style boat was the then named Dudley owned prior to its sale to a new owner by forum member Tiggers.

Not only was it given a highly inappropriate "stretch", that completely sodded up it's attractive proportions, also the Lister Ha2 that seemed spot on for the boat was replaced by one of the "poncy" makes favoured by those who don't know a good engine if they see one(!)

I find it depressing how few boat owners seem to have any appreciation at all for the lines and proportions of a good looking boat.

Much as we poke fun at Hudsons, the stern and back cabins are actually a very graceful shape to my eye. However there is a Hudson moored here with a tall, cramped and boxy pram hood constructed over the helm. It is one of the most visually jarring sights I have ever seen on the cut.

Well ok, maybe not quite as bad as that oversized hotel barge monstrosity I occasionally see up your way!

I'll agree that the proportions issue to make a tug look right is a tricky one. The Five Towns boat I bought instead of HECTOR had a loose planked 24' deck on a 60' hull. As it was to be a livaboard I had the cabin extended (properly with recessed panels and just a couple of portholes) leaving a 9' deck. I lived with this for years but it never looked right, so one day the angle grinder and welder came out and a good 7' section was removed!

What's more worrying is the stuff being put out by reputable builders. While in a yard - in the North I'll say- I spotted a new shell tacked together from pre-cut steel in a modern 'trad' style. A chalk line over the cabin 5' from the front meant this was to be cut off and plated over as a customer wanted a 'tug'. In my humble opinion a tug replica should be built from the baseplate up with a deeper draught, welded not folded gunnels to give it more shape etc etc. Maybe it's a cost thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw Ezra with her new owner on Sunday at Hillmorton.. He is very happy with her. she does sound lovely....

At the end of the day as long as the owner is happy with his lot then thats all good with me

more than happy with my lot,still kinda in shock to have acquired a Tyler Wilson boat before my 29th birthday. I've come along way from my tupperware,although was gutted to have had to of parted with my barney boat. I did my homework and was quite ruthless in the viewing and got damn lucky with my offer. As much as i like reading your opinions,im my own man and do my own thing,and as a dirty hippy with dreads down to my bum,a shower would only lead to my drowning....I'll have a historic motor one day,even if it means another ten years of bein a slave in a bakery,but until then,all the best to all of ya,I doubt many of you would give me the time of day in reality,but id be very touched if ya did

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, patbarleycorn said:

more than happy with my lot,still kinda in shock to have acquired a Tyler Wilson boat before my 29th birthday. I've come along way from my tupperware,although was gutted to have had to of parted with my barney boat. I did my homework and was quite ruthless in the viewing and got damn lucky with my offer. As much as i like reading your opinions,im my own man and do my own thing,and as a dirty hippy with dreads down to my bum,a shower would only lead to my drowning....I'll have a historic motor one day,even if it means another ten years of bein a slave in a bakery,but until then,all the best to all of ya,I doubt many of you would give me the time of day in reality,but id be very touched if ya did

Why wouldn't I or others say hello to you? Enjoy Ezra, gorgeous boat that I have seen around many times. Ian 

9 hours ago, patbarleycorn said:

Hello from me too!  I have known Ezra for years ever since she was on the Macc and the only powered means of access to his cottage for Jack.

The "so called" pecking order of boats is all in the mind of some people.  Tupperware or ex-working boat, we all enjoy the canals.  You have a nice boat there, enjoy it.

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1

Know one of the previous owners well & the boatfitter that installed the gallley & other bits. Personally I think she's a lovely boat and I'd be proud if she was mine....there's far too many clonecraft about these days & you can take delight in mooring in gaps others can only dream about. 

Have fun with her!

14 minutes ago, David Mack said:

See post #1 in this thread!

...in which you asked the same question as me! Post no.2 provides the answer, as does WotEver's recent post, thanks. Doubtless I was too busy looking at the engine to notice the bog.

(Posts 1 and 2 are easy to find even when unnumbered).

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Ezra is charming indeed. One thing I noticed, (s)he doesn't appear to have a loo. A porta-potti in the engine room, perhaps?

Isn't that where everyones khazi is? I can check all my oil levels, drips, oil pressure etc whilst curling one out, plus the seat is never cold. I'm surprised the idea of the toilets next to the engine hasn't caught on.

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, junior said:

Isn't that where everyones khazi is? I can check all my oil levels, drips, oil pressure etc whilst curling one out, plus the seat is never cold. I'm surprised the idea of the toilets next to the engine hasn't caught on.

Check the thumper, from the dumper.

Or the Lister, from the pisser!