Pump recommendation

IanJ

Featured Posts

Hi all

Could anyone please advise me. I am after a cheap-as-possible, 240 volt non-submersible pump with hose inlet and outlet. It's for those inaccessible little bilge spots, like under the prop shaft and under the battery shelf. The water, thankfully, never gets deep enough to switch on the normal submersible pump, but the prop shaft sprays anything over a little dampness all around the engine compartment. I've wrapped the domestic water pump in Clingfilm now, but the spray has cost me two pumps so far.

All the 240 volt ones I've seen have been submersible. I've tried 12 volt ones and they seem to pack up after one run so I figure I ought to go for something with cajones.

All advise gratefully received

Cheers

Ian

Rather than running 240v into your wet engine space, how about a nice manual pump?

If you want posh there is this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHALE-GUSHER-URCHIN-MANUAL-HAND-BILGE-PUMP-FIXED-HANDLE-/400422386309?hash=item5d3b08ba85:g:EV0AAOxyOlhSzppT

and if you want cheap then something like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHALE-GUSHER-URCHIN-MANUAL-HAND-BILGE-PUMP-FIXED-HANDLE-/400422386309?hash=item5d3b08ba85:g:EV0AAOxyOlhSzppT

I have a pump similar to the cheap one which I use to empty my calorifier and water supply pipe work every winter. Works for me.

I think a Whale Gulper would do the job admirably but it doesn't fall into the 'cheap as chips' category. I think you'll find that most cheap pumps won't be self-priming - they won't 'suck' - unlike a Gulper.

And there's the cheap little drill pump which would work from a mains or cordless drill.

Not self-priming though. I bought one for OP's exact same purpose and it didn't work.

Thanks Les, that's one idea I hadn't considered and certainly bears thinking about. I won't be able to keep it on the boat, but as I only need to use it three or four times a year, I can always take it over with me.

I tried one of those drill pumps. Didn't work for me, either.

I like the Gulper, but I think I might be requiring *two* operations if my other half found out how much it cost. :)

Thanks Les, that's one idea I hadn't considered and certainly bears thinking about. I won't be able to keep it on the boat, but as I only need to use it three or four times a year, I can always take it over with me.

I tried one of those drill pumps. Didn't work for me, either.

I like the Gulper, but I think I might be requiring *two* operations if my other half found out how much it cost. smile.png

I wouldn't be without my wet & dry. Sucks up everything thrown at it. It's only draw back is that it's a tad bulky.

Hi all

Could anyone please advise me. I am after a cheap-as-possible, 240 volt non-submersible pump with hose inlet and outlet. It's for those inaccessible little bilge spots, like under the prop shaft and under the battery shelf. The water, thankfully, never gets deep enough to switch on the normal submersible pump, but the prop shaft sprays anything over a little dampness all around the engine compartment. I've wrapped the domestic water pump in Clingfilm now, but the spray has cost me two pumps so far.

All the 240 volt ones I've seen have been submersible. I've tried 12 volt ones and they seem to pack up after one run so I figure I ought to go for something with cajones.

All advise gratefully received

Cheers

Ian

I had similar problems which were solved by visiting the caravan shop and buying a pump designed to go into a portable water container.

It's a Whale white plastic cylindrical submersible 12v pump, with a blue end strainer, and it only measures 35mm in diameter .

Should go most places.

James

I had similar problems which were solved by visiting the caravan shop and buying a pump designed to go into a portable water container.

It's a Whale white plastic cylindrical submersible 12v pump, with a blue end strainer, and it only measures 35mm in diameter .

Should go most places.

James

Just be aware that those pumps won't last long if run dry. They must be sucking water when they're operating. Caravan owners always carry a spare for this reason - they tend to burn out with monotonous regularity.

Many thanks to all for your answers and suggestions. I've opted for the wet & dry vac route, It gives the other half a new toy to play with as well. smile.png

Many thanks

Ian

I can hear the thin ice creaking and cracking under your feet as you tell your lucky other half that you have bought her a new cleaning device.........

• Greenie 1

I have this too, did a great job of clearing up a flooded bedroom and carpet. Sits in my engine bay and been used as an emergency by at least half a dozen other marina residents when they've had panic station alerts on finding lots of water. Usually the kindness of a loan is repaid with wine or cake.