Aldi Marmalade

pophops

Featured Posts

Not a recipe, just a recommendation really.

Grandessa marmalade - thick cut. It's an Aldi own brand and just about as good as you can get.

Love it!

Shh! Nearly every Aldi premium product we have tried is up there with the best, or even better than the big-name brand.

Coffee, tea, Fauxblerone etc etc,

Has anyone else discovered Toro Loco?

Grandessa marmalade - thick cut. It's an Aldi own brand and just about as good as you can get.

Love it!

Their jam is also far superior to the mug priced brands on offer. To all bakers out there we have tried ALL brands of flour over the years at every price for the large amount of fresh daily cakes we bake and sell and when we have time get ours from Aldi, its not the price as that is not a real concern but it simply is much better than all the best known brands.

Shh! Nearly every Aldi premium product we have tried is up there with the best, or even better than the big-name brand.

Haven't an Aldi near us (50 miles away!), but have a Lidl fairly close by. Have to say very good products. The store baked bread is superb. Home baking products are top notch.

We do the vast majority of our shopping there now.

Tony

Look forward to all that when the proposed Aldi opens in Hawick (even the Lidl has been shut for 6 months for rebuilding - everyone is waiting for it to reopen next week). Morrisons have been coining it in.

But what's Toro Loco, apart from a mad bull?

• Greenie 1

We were very surprised by the quality of the Aldi steaks and free range chicken range.

We don't often buy meat from supermarkets as the quality is more often then not lacking, but the 30 day hung steaks were really very tasty.

We favour rib-eye and Aldi's are easily the best we have bought for many years. They're better that the two quality butchers we use and way better than any other supermarket.

Their washing powder is excellent too.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/toro-loco-superior/p/000000016236700

We were very surprised by the quality of the Aldi steaks and free range chicken range.

We don't often buy meat from supermarkets as the quality is more often then not lacking, but the 30 day hung steaks were really very tasty.

Seconded. I wasn't going to mention the 30-day fillet steak in case there isn't any when we go itn next time! Rub with oil and garlic, sizzle on a griddle plate to medium rare, and you have a steak that can't be bettered even in a good restaurant.

Look forward to all that when the proposed Aldi opens in Hawick (even the Lidl has been shut for 6 months for rebuilding - everyone is waiting for it to reopen next week). Morrisons have been coining it in.

Toro Loco is Spanish red wine (mainly Tempranillo) which is perfect with the above..

Seconded. I wasn't going to mention the 30-day fillet steak in case there isn't any when we go itn next time! Rub with oil and garlic, sizzle on a griddle plate to medium rare, and you have a steak that can't be bettered even in a good restaurant.

We are not great fans of fillet steak. Not enough flavour.

Rib eye every time.

Love it!

I haven't tried it, but then you haven't tried my home made marmalade. It's very tasty, though I say so myself, and the lime marmalade I made last year is a particular winner. The oranges and limes were not home-grown of course, they came from the street market in Croydon. I started making my own jams and marmalade in 2010, the first summer after I bought my house, because both my neighbour and I regularly have surplus fruit from our gardens. In my 5 litre stockpot I can generally deal with 3kg of fruit at a time. I've never bought jam since (see the "Plum glut" topic), and still have lots of jars of various types in stock, plus chutneys etc. Sometimes when I have a surplus of fruit and veg at the same time I make a batch of sweet and sour sauce, a jar of which comes in handy for knocking up a meal in a hurry.

We are not great fans of fillet steak. Not enough flavour.

Rib eye every time.

No, often not, but the 30-day matured version ... clapping.gif

If anyone's in to making fruit gins (it's forced rhubarb season and rhubarb gin is delicious) then Aldi's gin is very highly rated and cheap. Like under £10 for 70cL cheap (they do a 1L bottle as well).

I like my gin mixed with the fizzy juice of the tonic fruit.

Edited by Machpoint005

Toro Loco is Spanish red wine (mainly Tempranillo) which is perfect with the above..

Picked up a griddle.plate from Aldi a while ago, fits nicely on the top of the squirrel, done steaks and burgers on it!

I do enjoy the steaks rom Aldi, and the big fat quarter pounders are ace, even better topped with the chilli gherkin's and hot sauce.

Haven't an Aldi near us (50 miles away!), but have a Lidl fairly close by. Have to say very good products. The store baked bread is superb. Home baking products are top notch.

We do the vast majority of our shopping there now.

Tony

Try the yum Yums. They're ...........yum yum!

Agreed.

The rarer the better.

Madam, how would you like your steak?

Rare,very rare, cut off its horns and wipe its a&@e,rare!

Edited by Nightwatch

Fillet steak must be " Blue " otherwise you may as well buy a burger. Rib eye does need more cooking than that due to the fat content.

I agree that it is a complete waste to overcook a fillet, but there are degrees of taste without any need for dogma. Personally I like it "a point" as the French say, which is towards the rare end of medium rare but not "bleu". I love a blue steak but my digestion nowadays copes far better with a point.

I am reliably informed that a steak's ideal cooking time depends entirely in its thickness, but the important thing is to strike a balance between actually heating it and resting it. The steak continues to cook after it is removed from the griddle. The total time for rare, medium rare or medium is the same, but the more cooked you like it, the less resting time.

James Martin just cooked a fillet steak on a program I'm watching and he said the resting time should be approximately 50% of the cooking time. He was in France and though he didn't mention it I'd say he cooked it medium-rare.

À Point doesn't mean 'medium rare' by the way, it means "perfectly cooked". See here: https://behind-the-french-menu.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/behind-french-menu.html?m=1

As it happens, the French opinion of "perfect" happens to coincide with medium rare :)

James Martin just cooked a fillet steak on a program I'm watching and he said the resting time should be approximately 50% of the cooking time. He was in France and though he didn't mention it I'd say he cooked it medium-rare.

À Point doesn't mean 'medium rare' by the way, it means "perfectly cooked". See here: https://behind-the-french-menu.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/behind-french-menu.html?m=1

As it happens, the French opinion of "perfect" happens to coincide with medium rare smile.png

Which I find to be too over cooked for my liking.