A Word Of Warning.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Hi all.

Don't Enter the Water........it's bloomin' cold.

After 14 years of boat ownership I have finally taken a plunge. Reached too far to pull the boat into the side when mooring this afternoon in Nantwich. I wasn't in for long, Margaret and an elderly passing gent pulled me out. As others have said before, I just panicked. I don't mind water and am quite confident in water, but I think a mixture of cold shock and utter embarrassment stopped me thinking straight.

Anyway hot shower and dry clothes I am non the worse for wear. Bruised shins and sore wrist.

We have a ladder available,but I'm not convinced it would have been any use, I just froze n more than one way.

Martyn. (At last,a real Boater.)

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Greenie 4

Glad you are OK.

It is only a matter of time before I join the club I'm sure!

I hope you never join Rachael it can be lethal. I have never been in but the wife has and she was totaly suberged and amazingly lucky that she didnt end up dead as she fell in between a group of four tightly packed boats in whilton marina and could have smashed her face or come up and smashed her head on various bits of steel. I was always trained that one hand was for the quenn and the other was for me and I hope to remain not a " Proper " rolleyes.gif boater.

Martyn you should know better...glad u is ok.

Edited by mrsmelly

Thanks, I am okay.

A slip of concentration and muddy tow path. I'm such a fool.

Had to clear the propeller yesterday and mentioned that the water was cold, very cold and said that I wouldn't like to fall in there. Hey! Presto! It's quite deep on the embankment here. Phone and wallet in my pockets as well!

Tut!

Thanks, I am okay.

A slip of concentration and muddy tow path. I'm such a fool.

Had to clear the propeller yesterday and mentioned that the water was cold, very cold and said that I wouldn't like to fall in there. Hey! Presto! It's quite deep on the embankment here. Phone and wallet in my pockets as well!

Tut!

My missus a few days after she went in kept swearing at her fone that was playing up and then we realised it had been in her handbag which surfaced still on her shoulder after her dunking.

Di fell in at Llangollan at the very top when I was winding, landed on her bum in about a foot of water.

I went in backwards on the S Oxford at Napton below the Folly, went right under and came up with mud on my trousers and my cap still on, total immersion but it was summer.

Edited by ditchcrawler

Glad the hear that you're OK. Did you manage to stand on the bottom, or did that thought not occur?

Cheers,

Didn't think about standing up, I went in vertical and had mud on my boots. Grazed my shins so that must have been he underside and edges of the boat.

MP.

Hope you're not too sore tomorrow. Look after yourself.

I understand alcohol has an antiseptic effect, which may help if you swallowed any water.......

may help if you didn't too ;)

Rog

Sound advice. Some advice is throw away, others must be taken seriously. I had a few pints of 'Old Dog' in the Barbridge Inn yesterday.

Hope your wallet was full of plastic fivers. I fell in once after a long lunch in The Rising Sun at Scholar Green. It was shallow enough to stand up.

No money in my wallet. Barbridge has it all.

My missus a few days after she went in kept swearing at her fone that was playing up and then we realised it had been in her handbag which surfaced still on her shoulder after her dunking.

My iPhone is in a bowl of uncooked rice.

Grandson says that the rice attracts Asians and they come and fix it overnight. Worth athought.

• Greenie 1

Sound advice. Some advice is throw away, others must be taken seriously. I had a few pints of 'Old Dog' in the Barbridge Inn yesterday.

No money in my wallet. Barbridge has it all.

My iPhone is in a bowl of uncooked rice.

Grandson says that the rice attracts Asians and they come and fix it overnight. Worth athought.

Daughter dropped her iPhone in the toilet, a few days in a bag of rice and it worked again, and still is working a year later. I was really surprised that the rice trick worked.

Hoping it does.

If not buy a waterproof phone next time rolleyes.gif

I hope you never join Rachael it can be lethal. I have never been in but the wife has and she was totaly suberged and amazingly lucky that she didnt end up dead as she fell in between a group of four tightly packed boats in whilton marina and could have smashed her face or come up and smashed her head on various bits of steel. I was always trained that one hand was for the quenn and the other was for me and I hope to remain not a " Proper " rolleyes.gif boater.

Martyn you should know better...glad u is ok.

I hope not either but I suspect I will at some point.

Had several very near misses so far blink.pngwacko.pngunsure.png

Glad you are OK Martyn. Not a pleasant experience.

I am also not also proper boater, having never fallen in a canal, unless you count an accidental capsize learning to canoe in the Thames. That was in March 1972 and was unbelievably cold. I couldn't speak because my teeth were chattering so much!

Some of the bits round there are too deep to stand up in.

I fell in at Woodside Lock on the Calder and Hebble in November 2010. It was bloody cold and deep enough that I never felt the bottom despite going in over my head. Really struggled to get out. I managed to get my hands around a bollard but there was a big void in the side, possibly an old ground paddle culvert, so even with Jeannettes help I couldn't get out. Fortunately she managed to stop a cyclist and a dog walker and between the three of them got me out. As with the OP, straight into the shower

Strangely I kept my hat on but lost my glasses.

If you come down with a fever achy joints and shakes and or any cuts get septic see your gp and tell them you fell in weils disease is pretty common especially in stagnant canal water in the winter.

This is a very good point not to be overlooked.

A few years ago I asked about a very derelict narrowboat on the bank. "Oh the owner fell in the canal and died, so the boat was lifted out", I was told. A bit surprised I enquired how he died from falling in.

Weils disease, I was told. Shock. Now a disease I'd only read about until then seems a real threat.

On the other hand though, why do canoeists seem so totally unconcerned about water splashing their face? Can one get an immunisation injection or something in advance? I feel inclined to do this if possible.

A few years ago I went in the Shroppie near Nantwich on Christmas Eve late afternoon. I cracked a couple of ribs on the stern rail which flipped me backwards into a full immersion. Fleece jackets are very heavy when soaked! I was on my own with no one else around. I was lucky but I could have been in the water until I was spotted floating past the Barbridge Inn on Christmas Day. The one time I was grateful for the Shroppie Shelf as it provided a step for me to get out.