A Word Of Warning.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

A few years ago I went in the Shroppie near Nantwich on Christmas Eve late afternoon. I cracked a couple of ribs on the stern rail which flipped me backwards into a full immersion. Fleece jackets are very heavy when soaked! I was on my own with no one else around. I was lucky but I could have been in the water until I was spotted floating past the Barbridge Inn on Christmas Day. The one time I was grateful for the Shroppie Shelf as it provided a step for me to get out.

Having read this thread and this post in particular I have just clicked onto ebay and done what I have been going to do for years and bought a folding multi purpose lightweight alloy ladder that could in an emergency be deployed quickly and save a life its about 7 feet long so would suffice narrowboat useage in my opinion. It was 35 quid delivered in other words absolutely nothing in the greater scheme of things. Thanks for the thread Martyn its the kick up the arse I needed after years of forgetting to buy one.

I fell out of a dingy into Loch Ness about 25 years ago. The strange thing was that I was going to the pub at Dores, not returning.

Standing up was not an option...

I shall be careful not to replicate that this summer cheers.gif

This is a very good point not to be overlooked.

A few years ago I asked about a very derelict narrowboat on the bank. "Oh the owner fell in the canal and died, so the boat was lifted out", I was told. A bit surprised I enquired how he died from falling in.

Weils disease, I was told. Shock. Now a disease I'd only read about until then seems a real threat.

On the other hand though, why do canoeists seem so totally unconcerned about water splashing their face? Can one get an immunisation injection or something in advance? I feel inclined to do this if possible.

There was a rower who died of Weils disease a few years back after competing in an event on the Witham.

Having read this thread and this post in particular I have just clicked onto ebay and done what I have been going to do for years and bought a folding multi purpose lightweight alloy ladder that could in an emergency be deployed quickly and save a life its about 7 feet long so would suffice narrowboat useage in my opinion. It was 35 quid delivered in other words absolutely nothing in the greater scheme of things. Thanks for the thread Martyn its the kick up the arse I needed after years of forgetting to buy one.

Our bathing ladder has been used several times in anger to rescue people who have fallen off narrowboats on the Trent.

We have gotten into the habit of leaving it folded down when on the river so that it can be of use when we are not on the boat.

Amanda fell in Foxton basin last year. She did it all in slow motion and even managed to cry out so that all those outside the pubs etc wouldn't miss the splash (it was a hot Sunday afternoon, bloody typical). The water was only about waist deep and our son pulled her out easily. A lot of bruises and some badly dented pride but otherwise she was fine. As others have said, it's important to get in the shower.

Amanda fell in Foxton basin last year. She did it all in slow motion and even managed to cry out so that all those outside the pubs etc wouldn't miss the splash (it was a hot Sunday afternoon, bloody typical). The water was only about waist deep and our son pulled her out easily. A lot of bruises and some badly dented pride but otherwise she was fine. As others have said, it's important to get in the shower.

A friend and his wife borrowed my boat for a couple of days. She went in, water only about three feet deep. He pulled her out, and dislocated her shoulder in the process. Admittedly she was a bit overweight, but it is something to be aware of as you can be much heavier with soaked clothing.

There was a topic about a year ago about this subject. We bought a rope type of ladder with strong plastic rungs. We were pleased that we did. Anyway, here's the rub, it's still in its bag inside the boat!!!

Not sure if I would have had the strength to pull myself out. Maybe survival instincts would have taken over after the initial shock to assist.

Too many what ifs, I'm going now,right now to fix it up.

Thanks for all the comments, I am okay, but admittingly a bit less confident near the waters edge.

There was a topic about a year ago about this subject. We bought a rope type of ladder with strong plastic rungs. We were pleased that we did. Anyway, here's the rub, it's still in its bag inside the boat!!!

Not sure if I would have had the strength to pull myself out. Maybe survival instincts would have taken over after the initial shock to assist.

Too many what ifs, I'm going now,right now to fix it up.

Thanks for all the comments, I am okay, but admittingly a bit less confident near the waters edge.

I have found that it is surprisingly difficult to get out even without the shock of falling in.

Our fold down ladder is three rungs deep which just isn't enough for me to reach. I have to use the stern drive to give me an additional leg up.

most boaters I know have fallen in.

the majority have gone in between the towpath and the boat having pushed the boat out and then missed the step (oddly most of them did this at foxton). the remainder seem to have slipped off while walking along the gunwale.

most boaters I know have fallen in.

the majority have gone in between the towpath and the boat having pushed the boat out and then missed the step (oddly most of them did this at foxton). the remainder seem to have slipped off while walking along the gunwale.

Mine was jumping from the boat to the side of a lock on the Avon. Just as I jumped the wind decided to blow the boat a bit further from the side. I never dropped the windlass though!

The one time I fell in I ended up under the counter and that was scary (even if I was tied up and the engine off - wasn't immediately clear how to get out from under). It was at least in summer and I was able to scramble up the bank, with help. I'd been stepping on and off all day and must have just got a bit blase and misjudged it. I sent out for antibacterial coca cola (that I believe is a canoeists' trick, for ingestion rather than wounds) though someone subsequently told me that as it was in Droitwich the salt keeps the nasties down. I didn't admit at the time just how scary it was.

Also, even though I now have a waterproof cover for my phone, I never carry it in my pocket when boating as I think that would be guaranteed to make me fall in again.

I grazed my shins somehow, but am keeping an eye on them.

I don't want or need another episode of medical care. It's someone else's turn.

Martyn

Having been in a few times it never amazes me how much damage I manage to do to myself, still limping just from dipping a leg a couple of weeks ago coaling up in braunston . No idea that I had done anything until the morning... Ah yes, wine :-) glad your ok!

Having been in a few times it never amazes me how much damage I manage to do to myself, still limping just from dipping a leg a couple of weeks ago coaling up in braunston . No idea that I had done anything until the morning... Ah yes, wine :-) glad your ok!

Of course the good thing bout the wine is that you dont notice the pain at the time allowing ( some ) overnight recovery.

Glad you are ok, and hope you stay that way. No need to repeat the performance, just once gives you the title!

Thanks. I agree,once is ample to be going on with.

Having had to get into and out of liferafts I can assure you its not easy even in warm water in controlled conditions

Bet you were a little younger when you were doing that malarkey. RAF?

I did some of that in the Navy. In a pool! Quite enjoyable but hard work.

Make sure you take it out of the packaging and attach it to the boat now smile.png

Yeah I know biggrin.png funnily enough it is still in its box in the caff as we are not working or cruising today so I will have a look tomorrow. Its just one of the many items I am accruing before our next big trip.

Thanks. I agree,once is ample to be going on with.

Bet you were a little younger when you were doing that malarkey. RAF?

I did some of that in the Navy. In a pool! Quite enjoyable but hard work.

Offshore survival training. A bit like a witches trial. they try and drowned you then burn you. if you survive you get the job.

My only involuntary dunking to date was when washing the cabin sides on the side away from the towpath. There's a lesson there -- if you must use spit & polish, only do the side you can reach. Best not bother.

Offshore survival training. A bit like a witches trial. they try and drowned you then burn you. if you survive you get the job.

The useful bit I've never forgotten is jumping off a high platform when wearing a lifejacket. Hold the bugger down or it'll break your neck on impact.

A friend of mine survived a high speed ejection when flying an RAF Hawk but broke his arm during the ejection sequence. I understand that the liferafts used in the ejection seats were subsequently modified to add a sub-surface 'ladder' as it proved impossible to pull himself out of the water with only one arm. Having done a training 'dunk' myself, I can testify how hard it is with TWO working arms!

My only involuntary dunking to date was when washing the cabin sides on the side away from the towpath. There's a lesson there -- if you must use spit & polish, only do the side you can reach. Best not bother.

The useful bit I've never forgotten is jumping off a high platform when wearing a lifejacket. Hold the bugger down or it'll break your neck on impact.

And squeezing your nose shut with the other hand.