Glass door on Rayburn Nouvelle

Edward_M

Featured Posts

Hi all,

There is a Rayburn Nouvelle on a boat I'm in the process of buying. I want to replace the solid iron door with one that has a glass window in it, and have found a stove maker who is happy to manufacture one (including some cleaning vanes)

Can anyone think of any reason this would be a bad idea? I'm told the thermal properties will be effectively the same.

Thanks,

Ed

Are you sure it is a Nouvelle? The nouvelle is an oilfired full cooker and boiler which has two burners. A vapourising burner on the cooker, and an aspirated vaporiser on the boiler. The size is about the size of a 2 oven Aga, and would take up most of your galley space.

Are you sure it is a Nouvelle? The nouvelle is an oilfired full cooker and boiler which has two burners. A vapourising burner on the cooker, and an aspirated vaporiser on the boiler. The size is about the size of a 2 oven Aga, and would take up most of your galley space.

aw27aq.jpg

Yes, it's a Nouvelle, Multifuel with backboiler.

• Greenie 1

That is what I would think of as a Supreme. I've only seen them with oil conversions. I would imagine that it must keep things very warm,but you do have another cooker. There used to be a 40 ft boat camped on the Shroppie that had similar installed, and all doors and windows were permanently open. There was another on the residential moorings at Norbury that had one, and he also had a pressure jet oil boiler that Harworth made. The heating load was so small that it cycled so frequently that for 3/4 of the burner running time it was either in pre purge or post purge. I think it rotted the return port through condensation very quickly.

That is what I would think of as a Supreme. I've only seen them with oil conversions. I would imagine that it must keep things very warm,but you do have another cooker. There used to be a 40 ft boat camped on the Shroppie that had similar installed, and all doors and windows were permanently open. There was another on the residential moorings at Norbury that had one, and he also had a pressure jet oil boiler that Harworth made. The heating load was so small that it cycled so frequently that for 3/4 of the burner running time it was either in pre purge or post purge. I think it rotted the return port through condensation very quickly.

It's definitely a multi-fuel Nouvelle. I have 1kw immersion coil for shoreline when in marina, too. Back to the question at hand, anyone see any reason why a glass door would be a bad idea?

I think the key thing is that any alternative door is an identical fit and function replacement for the original, on safety grounds. CO leaks or a lack of control might be a killer.

I would also want to be sure that the BSS were happy with a non-standard door and that I had written evidence that it was an acceptable mod. The inspection standards have tightened up recently.

N

• 1 year later...

Your insurance would refuse. If modified it cannot any longer be installed in accord with the manufacturers requirements.  It is not in accord with the makers test condition.

Modifying any appliance whether oil, gas, electric or solid fuel is a no-no.

Edited by Boater Sam
added more

8 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Your insurance would refuse. If modified it cannot any longer be installed in accord with the manufacturers requirements.  It is not in accord with the makers test condition.

Modifying any appliance whether oil, gas, electric or solid fuel is a no-no.

No, no.

We had a modified Rayburn Royale (with a completely new and different oil burner system) here at home. It was severely damaged in a serious house fire which we underwent in 2011.

Its replacement, a Rayburn 460K bought brand-new for some £6,500 and paid for entirely by our insurance company, is still doing well.

34 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, no.

We had a modified Rayburn Royale (with a completely new and different oil burner system) here at home. It was severely damaged in a serious house fire which we underwent in 2011.

Its replacement, a Rayburn 460K bought brand-new for some £6,500 and paid for entirely by our insurance company, is still doing well.

Was the cause of the fire something unrelated to the Rayburn? Might be different if a modified appliance caused a fire, particularly if the modification was the cause.

Jen

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I have a Rayburn Royal solid fuel cooker, and cant see why I would want to see the flames?

I think the idea would be to be able to see the food cooking - useful with things such as yorky puds.

1 hour ago, Catcymraeg said:

Its going to be in a combined kitchen /dining / living room, so we want to be able to sit on out sofa in the eve and watch the fire crackle away. 

I suppose you could just open the door but it wouldn't do much for your fuel economy. 

Different to me then as mine is a kitchen so not something I sit in in at night