Boat Buying Checklist - HELP!

Holly Lacey

Featured Posts

Good advice, Rusty, that boat does look good, but I wonder if Holly would be confident about steering a 70-foot long craft (I know I wouldn't!) Her stated quest, for a 40 to 45-footer, seems more realistic.

Yes there are!

Click the 'accommodation' tab.

353949.jpg

Lots of nice pics there.

Ah, got it, thanks. Looks good!

Good advice, Rusty, that boat does look good, but I wonder if Holly would be confident about steering a 70-foot long craft (I know I wouldn't!) Her stated quest, for a 40 to 45-footer, seems more realistic.

Very true, a 70 foot boat although giving the obvious benefits of space have their own drawbacks including increased mooring costs, maintenance costs, license fee and limited cruising ground. We purchased a 70ft boat and have never regretted it, but agreed its not for everyone.

Edited by rusty69

Holly, that's quite a jump from considering a 45ft boat to considering a 70ft boat! Personally I'd be wary of taking on something that size if I didn't really need the extra living space, if only because of the extra costs involved in mooring, licencing and maintaining it.

But if your budget will stretch a bit further into the £20k-£30k bracket, you should find there are plenty of decent boats out there in the 40-50ft range. Have you tried using the Waterways World Boat Search?

http://www.waterwaysworld.com/boatsearch/

Yeah, it is bigger than had previously planned, but am open to looking at others if suitable.

Holly, that's quite a jump from considering a 45ft boat to considering a 70ft boat! Personally I'd be wary of taking on something that size if I didn't really need the extra living space, if only because of the extra costs involved in mooring, licencing and maintaining it.

But if your budget will stretch a bit further into the £20k-£30k bracket, you should find there are plenty of decent boats out there in the 40-50ft range. Have you tried using the Waterways World Boat Search?

http://www.waterwaysworld.com/boatsearch/

Thanks, I'm on Apollo Duck etc everyday

It shouldn't be a problem for Holly to steer a longer boat. My first canal boating experiences were on 70 footer ex-working "camping" boats in the early 70's.

I had no trouble steering them. In fact it was only when I hired a leisure boat to take my wife on, that I realised other, shorter boats were available :)

The same rule works for all boats, that is treat each end separately. Get the bows into a lock or bridgehole, and when leaving concentrate on not hitting the sides with the rear end!

It shouldn't be a problem for Holly to steer a longer boat. My first canal boating experiences were on 70 footer ex-working "camping" boats in the early 70's.

I had no trouble steering them. In fact it was only when I hired a leisure boat to take my wife on, that I realised other, shorter boats were available smile.png

The same rule works for all boats, that is treat each end separately. Get the bows into a lock or bridgehole, and when leaving concentrate on not hitting the sides with the rear end!

I think if you start on a 70 foot boat you would not notice! We had a 68ft hire boat before getting Mr Rusty.

Admittedly having crew certainly makes things easier on a longer boat particularily when its windy.

My tuppence

I get the impression the ebay boat is a banger thats been tarted up . Im sure on one photo of the exterior i can see paint rollers and trays . Any dates on the photos ?

Just a hunch really , but im a cautious old git

cheers

Can't see any date myself, though I think I've decided to give this one a miss!

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what to look for when buying your first boat.

I've been doing my own research since September 2016, and am now in the position to start my hunt for the right boat.

I'm ideally after a 40-45ft, don't have a huge budget.

It may help CWF members point you towards potentially suitable boats if you could be a little more precise as to how much you can spend on one (not forgetting to leave a couple of thousand in the kitty for expenses which WILL occur, some planned such as the annual licence, some unplanned).

It may help CWF members point you towards potentially suitable boats if you could be a little more precise as to how much you can spend on one (not forgetting to leave a couple of thousand in the kitty for expenses which WILL occur, some planned such as the annual licence, some unplanned).

Around 21k, which would leave me a few bob for expected and unexpected expenses

When I bought my first boat, the seller could see we were strapped for cash, so rather than take a low offer for it he surprised us by suggesting a higher price than we had in cash, and we pay off the balance over a number of months. A good arrangement that suited us both. Good of him to trust us and we all got a deal we were happy with.

Just an idea.

When I bought my first boat, the seller could see we were strapped for cash, so rather than take a low offer for it he surprised us by suggesting a higher price than we had in cash, and we pay off the balance over a number of months. A good arrangement that suited us both. Good of him to trust us and we all got a deal we were happy with.

Just an idea.

That's actually something I've considered. I guess it depends on what the seller is willing to do, but it may be worth suggesting.

...in which case it may yet be worth my pointing you towards the 45 foot South West Durham boats in Apollo Duck. They're ex-timeshare boats. They look very comfy, and I have even considered buying one myself. There are two on there at the moment.

...in which case it may yet be worth my pointing you towards the 45 foot South West Durham boats in Apollo Duck. They're ex-timeshare boats. They look very comfy, and I have even considered buying one myself. There are two on there at the moment.

Thanks! I had clocked this one earlier. Will give them a call. It's not too far from Nottingham so may be able to add that to the list when we visit Mawby next week.

Looking at the photo of the artwork accompanying the boats name, I wouldn't be surprised if the "weights and measures" people didn't insist on a name change.

Yes, it obviously wasn't painted by a keen beer drinker.

Thanks Mike.

The appeal does not just lie in the name.

The lockside appeal is virtually non-existent with such a clumsy and clunky design of shell, but inside I agree with you. Very nicely fitted out and a more manageable length (for a girl ninja.gifohmy.png )!

If you do buy a 70' boat then take it through the Middle Levels, there are a couple of obstacles discussed in other topics, both of which can I gather be overcome:

Stanground Sluice, where you come off the River Nene: the lock is not that long, but is passable if you arrange the right time to go through.

Briggate Bend at Whittlesey: It's a tight corner, but 70' narrow boats have been through there.

I wouldn't let these or any worries about steering it put you off a full length boat if a good one comes up, and by all accounts Diesel and Dust is very good value. However they do cost more to licence, paint or keep in a marina, and it becomes more desirable to have crew, especially if you're trying to moor up with a crosswind blowing the wrong way! And it does become annoying when you're looking for 70 feet of towpath to moor to and every gap is 60-65 feet.

If you do buy a 70' boat then take it through the Middle Levels, there are a couple of obstacles discussed in other topics, both of which can I gather be overcome:

Stanground Sluice, where you come off the River Nene: the lock is not that long, but is passable if you arrange the right time to go through.

Briggate Bend at Whittlesey: It's a tight corner, but 70' narrow boats have been through there.

I wouldn't let these or any worries about steering it put you off a full length boat if a good one comes up, and by all accounts Diesel and Dust is very good value. However they do cost more to licence, paint or keep in a marina, and it becomes more desirable to have crew, especially if you're trying to moor up with a crosswind blowing the wrong way! And it does become annoying when you're looking for 70 feet of towpath to moor to and every gap is 60-65 feet.

We went through Whitttlesey twice last year in our 70 ft ,no problem and have been through salters lode (worth speaking to the lock keeper first). Stanground lock posses few problems, although the landing stage is quite short.

Well, a build date of 2002 is a lot more promising in terms of general wear and tear to the hull etc., and it certainly doesn't look or sound like a boat that's been neglected. I suppose the decor wouldn't be to everyone's taste (although personally I like it a lot), but that might be a very good thing in terms of getting it for a good price. Nothing negative jumps out at me - seems like a very nice boat at a good price for its age and condition.

Well, a build date of 2002 is a lot more promising in terms of general wear and tear to the hull etc., and it certainly doesn't look or sound like a boat that's been neglected. I suppose the decor wouldn't be to everyone's taste (although personally I like it a lot), but that might be a very good thing in terms of getting it for a good price. Nothing negative jumps out at me - seems like a very nice boat at a good price for its age and condition.

It's within a reasonable distance from me as well, which makes it that bit more appealing (I don't drive so getting about takes a bit of pre-planning).