Boat Buying Checklist - HELP!

Holly Lacey

Featured Posts

A survey (surveyor) is not a panacea and will NOT pick up all of the problems - all you can hope for is that he finds the majority of the MAJOR faults.

Just as a 'word of warning', I had a survey, got a '100% clean bill of health', purchased the boat and then found it needed over £20,000 spending to make it 'sea-worthy'.

You have no come-back on the surveyor - I tried to take legal action and the surveyors 'small print' exonerated them from any errors they may make.

You need to be aware of the realities as well as the 'rose tinted glasses' version of boating.

So how is best to ensure the boat is in an insurable condition? Is this something the survey will cover?

So how is best to ensure the boat is in an insurable condition? Is this something the survey will cover?

insurance wont care unless the boat is older than 25 years (age limit varies with insurers)

those that need a survey will only be interested in the thickness of the hull (all they care about is "will the boat sink while we insure it")

Any boat can be insured. All you need is third party insurance to get a licence.

For comprehensive insurance condition of the hull is usually their only concern, and they only generally require evidence (e.g. a survey report) once a steel boat is older than 25 years.

Your concern that the survey will "pick up all necessary work to be done immediately and any possible faults I may find down the line (obviously there will be things that cannot be foreseen)" is rather unrealistic raises a completely different question. One addressed by Alan De E.

A survey is most UNlikely to pick up all faults unless the chaps spends a month out on the boat actually using it for real, hence the clause in a survey excusing surveyors from overlooking stuff. Set against this most surveyors are conscientious people who do their best to uncover faults, but there is only so much investigation can be done during a three or four hour inspection.

To start with when you go to look at a boat does it look taken care of, does it smell musty when you go inside, look for stained woodwork from leaks, does the engine look clean and tidy and look like someone's taken care of it, is there water and oil in the bilge. you can generally tell if a boat has been loved then get a survey.

Edited by muddyfeet

This is where I re-iterate the "take someone knowledgeable with you" bit. Someone who really knows what to look for, and if it's a boat worth having the hull surveyed. You can get a full survey including the inner structures and systems...obviously more expensive. ...but it won't tell you everything by any means. A friend took me along when she was looking for her first boat, I pointed out several issues...all were seconded by the surveyor during a full survey, so she kind of wasted that extra money, a good knowledgeable boater with a keen eye could save you a few surveys and some wasted money. Start networking! !

An out of water survey is a must.

One thing we wished we'd done as well though, was to get an autoelectrician to look at the electrics of the boat. Finding out stuff that cost us a couple of thousand would not have put us off buying the boat we have, but it would have saved us anxiety and a sense of being shafted by the vendor (through not divulging important information to the agent or during the survey or the handover) and the surveyor (through not checking thoroughly enough). Boat electrics are a tricky area - you just have to look at the topics and questions on this site to see that. And if you're not particularly au fait with what's watt (sorry!), getting a bona fide expert to give a view is important.

Also make sure the engine is thoroughly checked over for you.

We ended up buying from Boat Finders and they were great to deal with.

Enjoy the search and the boating life! Cheers, Marilyn nb Waka Huia

I would advise caution I employing an auto-electrician. They may be brilliant on cars & trucks but be far from familiar with boats. Just three things as examples. The wiring runs on cars and vans tend to en far shorter and in many cases carry less current that boat wiring runs. This means the electrician should be very well versed in what voltdrop means but many are not because they have never or rarely come across it causing a problem. Cars and vans are normally wired earth return (the body is used as the negative cable) but on a boat this can lead to a perforated hull. Inland boats also have to comply with the Boat Safety Scheme and not many auto-electricians are familiar with that.

Much better to find a trusted marine electrician used to inland boats work - ask here for recommendations.

I'm planning on visiting David Mawby next week to look at a couple of boats he has.

In terms of boat transporting, I've had a quote from a couple who move narrow boats, charging £995 from Nottingham to Ely. Is transportation via water advised over via road? And does this seem like a reasonable price? Any narrow boat mover suggestions welcome!

Road is quicker, but you will probably need a crane at both ends, so if you want a quote for road make sure that is included. Also the owner of the boatyard where it 'comes out'/'goes in' may charge a fee which may or nor may be included in your quote. Best check exactly what they quote for.

Tuckey's moved my boat a few years ago. Arranged everything and no damage . >>>> http://www.mjtcranes.co.uk/transport/tuckeys/

Nottingham to Ely by water is 12+ days on Canalplan at 7 hours per day, so the quote from the professional boat movers sounds about the going rate to me. In practice they would probably do it in less days by using more of the daylight, e.g. nine 10 hour days.

Road+cranes is faster of course (once arranged) and might work out a bit cheaper, particularly for a shorter narrow boat. You need to ask, ensuring that crane charges are included in the quote, confirming that the date you want is available, and allowing for the boating to and from the crane sites to happen.

Or you could move it yourself; a fun adventure if you have the time and the crew, and very much the cheapest way. It will help if someone aboard has some boating experience, preferably including rivers as you'd be doing parts of the Trent, Nene and Great Ouse (and the Soar too unless going via Fradley). But the Crew Swap forum is your friend, or just ask in this topic if you want help, because there are various people on the forum who might turn out for all or part of a journey for nothing more than food. I regularly do this sort of thing, but there are others.

Or you could move it yourself; a fun adventure if you have the time and the crew, and very much the cheapest way. It will help if someone aboard has some boating experience, preferably including rivers as you'd be doing parts of the Trent, Nene and Great Ouse (and the Soar too unless going via Fradley). But the Crew Swap forum is your friend, or just ask in this topic if you want help, because there are various people on the forum who might turn out for all or part of a journey for nothing more than food. I regularly do this sort of thing, but there are others.

Agreed. Fair enough, this might not be a trip you'd want to do single-handed as a first-timer. But (1) it's got to be worth getting a bit of experience/informal training so you're comfortable handling the boat in future, and (2) there's a reason why people spend many hundreds of pounds hiring boats so they can do trips just like the one you're talking about paying to avoid!

Thanks, once I've got a better idea of where I'll likely be travelling from, I can start to try and gather a crew. Doing the journey myself would be the preferable choice, as what better way to get the experience and get to know my boat!

I found this boat last night, what do you all think? It seems pretty tidy, but I'm always a bit cautious when buying from eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Narrow-Boat-canal-boat-/292026461418?hash=item43fe222cea:g:rl4AAOSw2gxYoApo

It could be exactly what you want, i.e. an older, cheaper boat that has been through its 'money pit' phase (repainting, refitting, new equipment etc.) with the previous owner and should just need routine maintenance for the foreseeable future. Or it could be a polished turd that's been cosmetically spruced up on the cheap but actually needs many thousands spending on repairs to an aging, thinning hull and to various cut corners. A survey would hopefully tell you - maybe you should contact the seller and see how he'd feel about 'reserving' the boat for you while you get one done? The fact that it's supposedly had a recent positive survey is promising, although as a rule you probably shouldn't rely on surveys you haven't commissioned yourself.

The price doesn't seem outrageous if it's in good condition - probably more expensive than a lot of boats that size and age, but you'd be paying for the updated interior. I notice he's added a 'Best Offer' option, which suggests he's expecting to accept an offer somewhat lower than the asking price.

It could be exactly what you want, i.e. an older, cheaper boat that has been through its 'money pit' phase (repainting, refitting, new equipment etc.) with the previous owner and should just need routine maintenance for the foreseeable future. Or it could be a polished turd that's been cosmetically spruced up on the cheap but actually needs many thousands spending on repairs to an aging, thinning hull and to various cut corners. A survey would hopefully tell you - maybe you should contact the seller and see how he'd feel about 'reserving' the boat for you while you get one done? The fact that it's supposedly had a recent positive survey is promising, although as a rule you probably shouldn't rely on surveys you haven't commissioned yourself.

The price doesn't seem outrageous if it's in good condition - probably more expensive than a lot of boats that size and age, but you'd be paying for the updated interior. I notice he's added a 'Best Offer' option, which suggests he's expecting to accept an offer somewhat lower than the asking price.

Yes - But - It is still a 44 year old boat and whilst it 'looks nice' the quality of the fittings looks 'poor'.

I think it is 25% overpriced.

In order to get comprehensive insurance it would certainly need a survey, and I think it may need to be in the 'buyers' name.

I'm planning on visiting David Mawby next week to look at a couple of boats he has.

In terms of boat transporting, I've had a quote from a couple who move narrow boats, charging £995 from Nottingham to Ely. Is transportation via water advised over via road? And does this seem like a reasonable price? Any narrow boat mover suggestions welcome!

Holly, you could worse than contact Nigel Carton who is a member of this forum. He moves boats professionally, and he is also a qualified boat safety surveyor. He has done both those jobs for me in the last few years, and I can thoroughly recommend him (but remind him to check the diesel tank: he will understand the reference!)

The seller if off to Australia, so will be negotiable on the price (I would imagine). Providing he's free, I plan to visit this Saturday (if anyone in the Bicester are is free and wants come take a look...happy.png ). Plan to get a survey done regardless!

Holly, you could worse than contact Nigel Carton who is a member of this forum. He moves boats professionally, and he is also a qualified boat safety surveyor. He has done both those jobs for me in the last few years, and I can thoroughly recommend him (but remind him to check the diesel tank: he will understand the reference!)

I'll try scout him out and see if he's available, thanks!

The seller if off to Australia, so will be negotiable on the price (I would imagine). Providing he's free, I plan to visit this Saturday (if anyone in the Bicester are is free and wants come take a look...happy.png ). Plan to get a survey done regardless!

I'll try scout him out and see if he's available, thanks!

This bit from the advert concerns me:

"The bilge pump is on a float switch so it maintains its self as and when it needs to."

The presence of an automatic bilge pump (or two, or three) is de rigeur on any boat and wouldn't usually warrant a mention in an advert. I'm wondering if he was prompted to put this because he notices it operating on a regular basis. Not good!

Nor do I think he is an experienced boater as he says location is the "Oxford canal near Bicester" That strikes me as odd. Bicester isn't actually on the Oxford canal. I'd have expected a boater to have said which canal landmark/village it is near e.g. Kidlington, Enslow etc, or even just "southern end of the Oxford canal".

And yes I agree the fitout looks cheap and poorly finished. I suspect a year ago this was a £7k boat in a right state, that has been hurriedly glammed up on a shoestring.

Edit to add:

Holly, may I suggest you drop this overpriced and decidedly fishy boat? Look instead at the boat for sale by Tom and Bex (long term posters here). Chalk and cheese.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=89713&hl=

http://apolloduck.net/505453

This is a fantastic boat for not a lot more money in my opinion. Get yourself up to Lapworth with a tesco bag of cash immediately!! biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

505453_1.jpg

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Thanks, once I've got a better idea of where I'll likely be travelling from, I can start to try and gather a crew. Doing the journey myself would be the preferable choice, as what better way to get the experience and get to know my boat!

I found this boat last night, what do you all think? It seems pretty tidy, but I'm always a bit cautious when buying from eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Narrow-Boat-canal-boat-/292026461418?hash=item43fe222cea:g:rl4AAOSw2gxYoApo

Unless the price is seriously negotiable, I think you could do better.

"The bilge pump is on a float switch so it maintains its self as and when it needs to."

The presence of an automatic bilge pump (or two, or three) is de rigeur on any boat and wouldn't usually warrant a mention in an advert. I'm wondering if he was prompted to put this because he notices it operating on a regular basis. Not good!

Nor do I think he is an experienced boater as he says location is the "Oxford canal near Bicester" That strikes me as odd. Bicester isn't actually on the Oxford canal. I'd have expected a boater to have said which canal landmark/village it is near e.g. Kidlington, Enslow etc, or even just "southern end of the Oxford canal".

And yes I agree the fitout looks cheap and poorly finished. I suspect a year ago this was a £7k boat in a right state, that has been hurriedly glammed up on a shoestring.

To be fair, his does give his location as Kidlington in the advert.

This boat looks quite reasonable in some ways: freshly blacked and painted, some good kit (solar panels, inverter), well thought-of Lister engine. The fittings don't look upmarket but they look fairly neat and tidy.

However, a few things may ring alarm bells. Mack doesn't appear to know who built the boat - would you sell a car without mentioning that it was an Austin or a Ford? There is no central heating, so you're reliant upon the solid-fuel stove for warmth. Most concerningly, the superstructure has been extended at the front, and possibly at the back too. While this gives increased Lebensraum, I can see no sign of any door or escape hatch at the front, where the bed appears to be. This won't matter at all until a fire starts on the boat between you and the back doors. O.K., for most people this will never happen, but what would you do if it did?

But yes, Holly, go and see it. Apart from anything else, that will give you a good idea of how the boat "in the flesh" compares with what you see in the pictures. The two can be alarmingly different! Note that it's one heck of a long way, by canal and river, from Kidlington to Cambridge; I am sure that there are numerous boats for sale nearer to you.

Edit to add:

Holly, may I suggest you drop this overpriced and decidedly fishy boat? Look instead at the boat for sale by Tom and Bex (long term posters here). Chalk and cheese.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=89713&hl=

http://apolloduck.net/505453

This is a fantastic boat for not a lot more money in my opinion. Get yourself up to Lapworth with a tesco bag of cash immediately!! biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

505453_1.jpg

Agreed, this looks a much better bet, shame there are no internal pics