Routes over the Pennines

larryjc

Featured Posts

About 3 years back we went West to East via the L&L, followed by East to West via the C&C, C&H and Rochdale.

We found the L&L spectacular, but were overawed by the Rochdale. As our son put it "on the L&L you see those massive hills to either side of you, but on the Rochdale you are actually climbing right over those hills.

No significant problems for us on Rochdale with too little water, (although I do recall having to flush over one cill), but on a fair bit of it, too much water caused some difficulties. On the start of the ascent it often made getting exit gates open difficult. On the descent, we had to be very careful at some places not to completely engulf the tow-path ahead. Quite a lot of the locks had restrictors on their paddle gear to limit the amount it could be opened, but even with some of these it was possible to flood the towpath ahead, because water levels were overly high.

Yes, that would be the flight coming down into Todmorden - I put my wellies on before doing that bit.

Although I've come through there lots of times, my most lasting memory is of finding the Guillotine lock full of bin bags containing cannabis plants, with more further downstream. The police commandeered Cygnet as a weed catcher!

The Huddersfield doesn't seem to be talked about much as a great route over the Pennines. Is the scenery as spectacular as the other two routes or is the main feature of interest the tunnel?

If you don't like locks then the Huddersfield isn't for you!

The Huddersfield doesn't seem to be talked about much as a great route over the Pennines. Is the scenery as spectacular as the other two routes or is the main feature of interest the tunnel?

The Huddersfield is just as good scenery wise as the Rochdale IMO. And Standedge Tunnel is a great experience. There are a lot of locks but only 5 more than going via the Rochdale and they are narrow. The OP said his boat is too big for Standedge Tunnel.

I was always sorry we couldn't do the Huddersfield Narrow because our old boat had a petrol outboard and so wasn't allowed through Standedge. It'll be one of the first items on my 'to do' list at such time as we buy another boat.

It's the best canal in the country but don't tell eveyone!

Yes, I have two solar panel arrays that will need removing before I can do Standedge. However, we intend to explore the whole northern network over the next few years so there's plenty of time to work out how to get them off for the tunnel. Pretty sure our plan will be to do the L&L into Liverpool and then when we head in to Manchester, hopefully the Bridgewater will be open by then.

Some sage advice please. We have just re-entered Narnia - sorry the world of the waterways. Our new boat is currently on the Air and Caulder near Leeds.

Larry

Whilst you're on the A&C you should go up via Selby to York. It's an opportunity not to be missed. By the time you've done that the Bridgewater might be open.

Steve

Liverpool is highly recommended,we have done this 4 times! You need to book with Wigan but can moor in Salthouse dock for 7 days

for free. Mooring is fine until you approach Maghull;so most people stop overnight at Bridge 11 (good pub down the road) and

take the assisted passage to Bootle and the docks the next day. Have fun!

Yes, I have two solar panel arrays that will need removing before I can do Standedge. However, we intend to explore the whole northern network over the next few years so there's plenty of time to work out how to get them off for the tunnel. Pretty sure our plan will be to do the L&L into Liverpool and then when we head in to Manchester, hopefully the Bridgewater will be open by then.

If "the whole northern network" includes the (lock-free!) Lancaster, wouldn't this be an ideal opportunity? It seems like you might well have a week or three to spare between visiting Liverpool and the Bridgewater re-opening. You could always book now for late April/early May and cancel nearer the time (giving 5 days' notice) if you realise the dates aren't going to work out.

Liverpool is highly recommended,we have done this 4 times! You need to book with Wigan but can moor in Salthouse dock for 7 days

for free. Mooring is fine until you approach Maghull;so most people stop overnight at Bridge 11 (good pub down the road) and

Or use CaRTs new online booking system.

Steve

What size is your boat? The L&L is restricted to max 62' and going that way you'll have the Wigan flight of 21 locks which must be done in one day, help is available from the "Wigan Flight Crew" facebook page.

To get to the Rochdale you'll have to go up the Calder & Hebble which is restricted to about 57'6" although longer narrowboats up to 60' max can get through the locks diagonally.

An alternative would be to head out onto the Trent at Keadby and head south through Nottingham and onto the T&M at Shardlow and head north.Fewer locks that way but there is the tidal Trent!

Two of us with two narrowboats did the Calder & Hebble from the Aire & Calder in the Spring of 2105.

One boat was 60ft, the other 54ft but we breasted in the locks all the way (CRT restrictions excepted, and I just can't recall) till Salterhebble where we passed through the top two locks singularly.

The top lock was rather tight for the 60 ft boat.

As for the Rochdale, we called upon the services of CRT who supplied two splendid, knowledgeable, experienced and companionable volunteers who rode shotgun from Failsworth down into Manchester, doing much of the work too. We were very glad of it as much of this section is frequented by bandits, thieves and general smackheads who are not very nice. Thanks again guys.

James

Two of us with two narrowboats did the Calder & Hebble from the Aire & Calder in the Spring of 2105.

One boat was 60ft, the other 54ft but we breasted in the locks all the way (CRT restrictions excepted, and I just can't recall) till Salterhebble where we passed through the top two locks singularly.

The top lock was rather tight for the 60 ft boat.

As for the Rochdale, we called upon the services of CRT who supplied two splendid, knowledgeable, experienced and companionable volunteers who rode shotgun from Failsworth down into Manchester, doing much of the work too. We were very glad of it as much of this section is frequented by bandits, thieves and general smackheads who are not very nice. Thanks again guys.

James

Are you sure you are James and not Doc Brown or Marty McFly?

And how the hell did you get a narrowboat upto 88mph?

Edited by Robbo

I've missed your point. Have I made a typo?

James

It was where you mentioned having been on the Calder & Hebble in 2105, hence the references to the Back to the Future films which featured time travel.

It's nice to know that the long term future of at least one canal is assured. Maybe I should ask my grandson to turn up and introduce himself (like the scene in the third film where Marty McFly gets his parcel delivery), he'll be just short of 100 then. Did you meet him? Or should that be will you meet him? It's always difficult to know what tense to use when discussing time travel.

By the way Robbo, a gigawatt is a perfectly respectable scientific unit of measurement, although only appropriate when discussing either the output of a large power station or a good chunk of the National Grid.

The 'what the hell is a gigawatt' is also a reference to the film as Marty says it after the 1.21 gigawatt bit. Doc's "mispronounation" is a;so accurate as in the 50's it was common to say jig a watt.

Yes, but would a real scientist have said "one point twenty one" rather than "one point two one"? My maths teachers wouldn't have stood for that!

For those are scratching their head over the references:

Larry

Whilst you're on the A&C you should go up via Selby to York. It's an opportunity not to be missed. By the time you've done that the Bridgewater might be open.

Steve

I think that means doing, dare I say it a 'River' - especially early Spring. We did the Thames the other year on yellows and it was bloody marginal getting through some of the narrow bridges (full power and barely moving). Also the Kennet was pretty scarey coming down current and trying to get around left hand bends. Leaving in April means there is a good chance of rain etc. How 'flowy' is the Ouse?

Sorry - what does 'book with Wigan' mean? Surely you don't have to book to go down the Wigan flight? or do you mean book once down the flight?