Routes over the Pennines

larryjc

Featured Posts

Some sage advice please. We have just re-entered Narnia - sorry the world of the waterways. Our new boat is currently on the Air and Caulder near Leeds. Our plan of cunningness was to take it to the Macclesfield and Lyme View marina. That will be our base for future adventures, as we know it well. My original idea was to start off in early April and head up the L&L, and thence down the Bridgewater to go south about Manchester. No rush - we were looking at about 3 months. However those dastardly owners of the Bridgewater have shut the main link until 24 May, which by my estimation could screw us up just a tad. I can't get through Standedge so that leaves the Rochdale as an alternative, but its 82 locks in 50 miles, ie almost one every half a mile. Don't particularly mind locks, we've done Caen, Hatton etc my question is can you stop reasonably often? Or are there sections where you really need to press on. Basically we're lazy sods and don't like to motor for too long if we don't have to.

Alternatively we might pootle into Liverpool to extend the journey - same question really - the good book by Saint Nicholson mentions not mooring in non designated areas etc but is it really an issue and also mentions 'booking passage' to Salthouse dock but nothing more - are there time restrictions etc?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I came over the L&L in December and would recommend it as the prettiest and easiest route over the pennies. A trip into Liverpool would be a good diversion for a couple of weeks, I would have done it but the link is closed in winter. You need to book to get down the flight of 4 locks into Salthouse Dock and to reserve a mooring there. Full details and some useful links on the CRT site - link below:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-network/liverpool-canal-link

If you do the Rochdale, you'll have to do do one longish day through the 18 locks into Manchester itself; I'm pretty sure CRT won't let you stop overnight on that stretch. I think you'll probably want to get the Ashton done in a day too on your way out of the city, although I don't think there's any rule about not stopping on it overnight. From memory, that's 12 locks. Both stretches are distinctly 'urban' in terms of junk in the canal etc.

Manchester aside, though, it should be easy enough to do the Rochdale in bite-sized chunks and it's a beautiful route for the most part with plenty of pleasant places to stop, both in towns/villages and in completely rural areas. Rochdale is about the only town on the route I wouldn't want to stop in; all the rest (Sowerby Bridge, Hebden Bridge, Todmorden, Littleborough etc.) are, as far as I remember, perfectly pleasant and have places to moor.

Thanks for that. I guess I'll keep an eye on the Bridgewater stoppage - they've changed the date 3 times in recent months. I must say that Liverpool looks really nice and being reasonably early in the year I suspect booking in shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thanks for that. I guess I'll keep an eye on the Bridgewater stoppage - they've changed the date 3 times in recent months. I must say that Liverpool looks really nice and being reasonably early in the year I suspect booking in shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Yeah, we never got as far as Liverpool by boat (although it's certainly well worth a visit), but given a straight choice of routes over the Pennines, I think I'd go for the L&L over the Rochdale. The area around Skipton is hard to beat for scenery; in fact I think the Macc may be its nearest rival among canals we've cruised.

What size is your boat? The L&L is restricted to max 62' and going that way you'll have the Wigan flight of 21 locks which must be done in one day, help is available from the "Wigan Flight Crew" facebook page.

To get to the Rochdale you'll have to go up the Calder & Hebble which is restricted to about 57'6" although longer narrowboats up to 60' max can get through the locks diagonally.

An alternative would be to head out onto the Trent at Keadby and head south through Nottingham and onto the T&M at Shardlow and head north.Fewer locks that way but there is the tidal Trent!

Come over the Rochdale, its grand! The only places not to stop are Newton Heath and Rochdale itself, as others have said. There are similar badlands on the L&L too, Armley Leeds,bits of Burnley and Blackburn.

What's a few locks, it's a Canal! Plenty of places to stop, Hebden Bridge, Todmorden, Littleborough, have great shops for provisions. The scenery around the summit is amazing, more stunning than anything on the L&L. Go to the Hepworth gallery in Wakefield.

What? ME? Biased? Nah, I just live and moor near the top of the hill, Littleborough Summit.

Ps, you can ask for the help of a volocky going down into Manchester, just ask CART. We got one last time we went through he was great, a good help.

• Greenie 1

We're 57 foot and the boat did the Rochdale a few years back so no issues with length. Don't mind locks at all, its just that if you look at the map the Rochdale looks to be almost one continous lock. Also I wanted a good 3 month cruise and therefore the L&L was a longer way round. I'll see what the Bridgewater stoppage is like before we set off and make a decision.

In terms of workload there's not a lot in it between the Rochdale and L&L when considering all those swing bridges between Leeds and Gargrave and Wigan flight.

Both are set amidst wonderful scenery. I probably prefer the Rochdale as the descent into Manchester is not dissimilar to the descent into Wigan. However if the Bridgewater closure is preventing you choosing the L&L to get to the Macc, it will also prevent your intended trip to Liverpool during the same period.

We came down the Wigan flight in,I think, October. There was an incident that delayed us a little so we moored up for a night mid flight. Near new housing. Absolutely fine,no problems.

Lockies are friendly lot on the Wigan flight. We were on the L&L for about 7 months and enjoyed the whole of the Canal. There are suspect areas, already mentioned,but easily avoided.

We did leave the canal for about a month to go to York and Ripon, which is also highly recommended.

Martyn

Fully echo Jim Riley's posting - the Rochdale is a magnificent canal and you can take the rural sections at your own pace.

If you wanted a real adventure you could always go to Liverpool, cross the Mersey to the Ship Canal, then onto the main system at a place of your choosing (Ellesmere Port for the Shroppie, Frodsham for the Weaver, Pomona Lock for the Bridgewater). Lots of paperwork, you'd want a pilot, and neither the Mersey or the MSC are to be trifled with. But on a calm day and with compliant tides it's very doable. There have been some useful threads on this in the past, e.g. http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39772&p=730379 .

In terms of workload there's not a lot in it between the Rochdale and L&L when considering all those swing bridges between Leeds and Gargrave and Wigan flight.

Both are set amidst wonderful scenery. I probably prefer the Rochdale as the descent into Manchester is not dissimilar to the descent into Wigan. However if the Bridgewater closure is preventing you choosing the L&L to get to the Macc, it will also prevent your intended trip to Liverpool during the same period.

The stoppage is at Leigh on the Bridgewater (bridge 56) so I can come down the Wigan flight and turn right to Liverpool, its if I want then go back to the Macc that I have to wait until after 24 May.

The stoppage is at Leigh on the Bridgewater (bridge 56) so I can come down the Wigan flight and turn right to Liverpool, its if I want then go back to the Macc that I have to wait until after 24 May.

Yes I know so if you intend to visit Liverpool during that period the Rochdale is not an option - the L&L is the only route to Liverpool. Having said that you won't be disappointed no matter which route you choose.

Yes I know so if you intend to visit Liverpool during that period the Rochdale is not an option - the L&L is the only route to Liverpool. Having said that you won't be disappointed no matter which route you choose.

Ahah gotya

Thoroughly enjoyed the Rochdale - the Yorkshire side has some beautiful spots and fine walks; the descent into Manchester nowhere near as bad as the doomsayers forecast.

And we did it in a 3ft draught boat - challenging at times but perfectly doable.

PS the L&L remains our favourite though!

I really enjoyed my day coming out of Manchester on The Rochdale ... the locals were all friendly and there are some beautiful places elsewhere on the Canal. I think Rihdale is the most unpleasant part of the whole canal but it doesn't take long to get through.

• Greenie 1

We found the journey ascent out of Manchester pretty tough going, I must admit - low pounds, never-ending carrier bags round the prop of our outboard - but when all's said and done, it's only one day and the rest of the Rochdale makes it all worthwhile!

Edited to add:

You'll love it I'm sure Goliath, but do keep an eye on that Bridgewater stoppage (which is presumably on your planned route back south, if not your initial route into Manchester?)

Edited by magictime

We found the journey ascent out of Manchester pretty tough going, I must admit - low pounds, never-ending carrier bags round the prop of our outboard - but when all's said and done, it's only one day and the rest of the Rochdale makes it all worthwhile!

Edited to add:

You'll love it I'm sure Goliath, but do keep an eye on that Bridgewater stoppage (which is presumably on your planned route back south, if not your initial route into Manchester?)

Thanks for the heads up on that. i'll take a look.

About 3 years back we went West to East via the L&L, followed by East to West via the C&C, C&H and Rochdale.

We found the L&L spectacular, but were overawed by the Rochdale. As our son put it "on the L&L you see those massive hills to either side of you, but on the Rochdale you are actually climbing right over those hills.

No significant problems for us on Rochdale with too little water, (although I do recall having to flush over one cill), but on a fair bit of it, too much water caused some difficulties. On the start of the ascent it often made getting exit gates open difficult. On the descent, we had to be very careful at some places not to completely engulf the tow-path ahead. Quite a lot of the locks had restrictors on their paddle gear to limit the amount it could be opened, but even with some of these it was possible to flood the towpath ahead, because water levels were overly high.

Spectacular though, like no other canal we have yet done.

• Greenie 1

About 3 years back we went West to East via the L&L, followed by East to West via the C&C, C&H and Rochdale.

We found the L&L spectacular, but were overawed by the Rochdale. As our son put it "on the L&L you see those massive hills to either side of you, but on the Rochdale you are actually climbing right over those hills.

No significant problems for us on Rochdale with too little water, (although I do recall having to flush over one cill), but on a fair bit of it, too much water caused some difficulties. On the start of the ascent it often made getting exit gates open difficult. On the descent, we had to be very careful at some places not to completely engulf the tow-path ahead. Quite a lot of the locks had restrictors on their paddle gear to limit the amount it could be opened, but even with some of these it was possible to flood the towpath ahead, because water levels were overly high.

Spectacular though, like no other canal we have yet done.

Good stuff, looking forward to it.

I was going to join the Kennett flotilla back in october bit the dates were wrong for me.

Enjoy/prefer travelling at my own pace anyway.