Narrow boat Ilkeston towed along canal

Ray T

Featured Posts

It never ceases to amaze me how canal enthusiasts like to film their incompetence.

I know little about horse boating but this is certainly not a good example, and at times looks hazardous with so many enthusiasts clearly getting in the way..

Sorry to be a bit negative but in my opinion these enthusiasts are guilty of destroying our canal heritage by filming and publishing this sort of thing.

The one thing that did make me smile is ILKESTON being manhandled (sort of bowhauled) out of the locks when they have a horse stood by frusty.gif

captain.gif

I was pleased to see I'm not the only one to throw the loose end of my cotton laid line only to find I then had to untangle the other end furiously.

I also learnt quite quickly that cross straps need adjusting for the differing height the butty bows ride at to prevent it going all floppy and the butty then trying to overtake you on a corner.

Perhaps a little more care and practice before investing in the time to get the bowler and red neckerchief.

My biggest issue with these amateur films though is soppy inappropriate music twittering away in the background. The only soundtrack required was the thump of the engine, rattle of paddle gear and clopping of the horse.

Incidentally if it was a Shire it was a young one, which wouldn't have been the motive power of choice. They end up too big to pass others on the towpath or get under humpy bridges.

They liked "Heavies" which were your archetypal rag and bone man or milkman cart horse, also they ate less.

It never ceases to amaze me how canal enthusiasts like to film their incompetence.

I know little about horse boating but this is certainly not a good example, and at times looks hazardous with so many enthusiasts clearly getting in the way..

Sorry to be a bit negative but in my opinion these enthusiasts are guilty of destroying our canal heritage by filming and publishing this sort of thing.

The one thing that did make me smile is ILKESTON being manhandled (sort of bowhauled) out of the locks when they have a horse stood by frusty.gif

captain.gif

Endorsed in full, a clear example of what needs NOT to be seen.

Would the dissenters like me to delete the video is as it is obviously such a dreadful example? judge.gif

Not at all - it makes interesting viewing, but equally I think it is perfectly well for people with the experience to say what they are getting wrong.

I can't claim any great experience of butty boating, and would probably do no better, but I do know for example that if you tow on cross straps, that getting the length right is important.

I don't think Roger sees a lot of use - it seems largely a stationery exhibit - so perhaps not surprising that those involved here are not that experienced.

That said, the motor steerer is a recognised name with the Narrow Boat Trust, so presumably has considerable experience of their pair?

What I would love to see on here is something like the footage that exists of Tam and Di Murrell and son on the "barrel" boats, which has been shown at an HNBC meet but I have yet to be seen made more widely available. Only footage of that calibre shows how it was really done, IMO.

I can't claim any great experience of butty boating, and would probably do no better, but I do know for example that if you tow on cross straps, that getting the length right is important.

Cross straps look ok to me but then again I'm no expert either. What do you think is wrong with them?