Merlin Smartgauge from Cactus Navigation & Communication

Featured Posts

I am considering buying a Smartgauge.

The web turns up a supplier called Cactus Navigation & communication, which seems significantly cheaper than some prices quoted elsewhere, (£119.95 by the time VAT is added).

I've not heard of Cactus, so has anybody used this supplier for anything, please, and, if so, what were your experiences.

Is this a good price for this unit?

Excellent - thanks all.

I have been burnt at least once using a marine supplier that seemed to have the goods, but turned out to be a nightmare.

Glad Cactus is recognised as a good supplier, so will probably use them if I go for it.

I bought a SmartGuage from Cactus about 18 months ago, they were by far the cheapest.

The issue I had was that when it came to it they did not have any in stock (or so they said) so after waiting for a month or more, in which time they had processed payment, I asked for my money back and to cancel the order. Surprise surprise they suddenly had them in stock and I had one the next day. It of course could have been a coincidence that they had just got them in, but I am not sop certain.

Anyway once I got it it has been fine, no issues.

• 1 month later...

Cactus are 'known' to be the 'cheapest' but I have found that,in several cases, not to be the fact.

I recently replaced my Victron 12/50 Battery Charger. Cactus Price, £594.07, I found it elsewhere (including VAT,  Next day Delivery and warranty) at £350.

Last year I purchased a Waeco fridge and managed to get it from Midland Chandlers for over £150 cheaper than Cactus (don't remember the exact prices now)