Improving The Horizontal View From The Saloon Windows

Featured Posts

A raised dinette is one solution, but may not be the best for comfort at general leisure. Large mirrors inside will give you a 'back to front' view. Be aware also that moving away from standard windows may make it awkward to get replacements if any get broken whilst out.

We have the raised dinette with a window one side and doors to the other side so good visibility. I tend to sit in a chair though and jump upnahd down to look out the window if I think there is something to look at whereas my wife spends most time sat at the dinette.

A long while ago Anglo Welsh used to have a drop in the gunnel right near the back of the boat so you got a good view from the table in their reverse layout boats. Here is a photo from 1982.

C193A%20Montrose%20at%20Sileby%201982.jp

Peter L Marchant do similar and have the drop at the stern

SDC18544.jpg

How about just sitting outside??

Then you can see everything. Hope that helps...

Have you been to England Mike? or may be you are just tougher than the rest of us!

A long while ago Anglo Welsh used to have a drop in the gunnel right near the back of the boat so you got a good view from the table in their reverse layout boats. Here is a photo from 1982.

C193A%20Montrose%20at%20Sileby%201982.jp

But you might just as well cut the hull down around the stern deck as well, and then you'll simply have a conventional boat but with shallower hull and correspondingly taller cabin.

Peter L Marchant do similar and have the drop at the stern

SDC18544.jpg

Have you been to England Mike? or may be you are just tougher than the rest of us!

I'm from the south, where it's only quite cold...

Anyway portholes are best. It stops the towpath traffic staring in.

But you might just as well cut the hull down around the stern deck as well, and then you'll simply have a conventional boat but with shallower hull and correspondingly taller cabin.

Or.... just sit on a taller chair!

Fair point but if the stern is too low you can't see where you are going!

Congratulations on being the first poster to spell "gunwale" correctly (apologies if I have missed any).

This is the 'descriptive Vs prescriptive' debate. Should a word be spelled in a particular way or spelled how everyone else spells it?

I've given up letting myself be irritated by 'gunnel'. It's how 99% of posters here think it should be written.

I blame that Sally Gunwale woman. :)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

This is the 'descriptive Vs prescriptive' debate. Should a word be spelled in a particular way or spelled how everyone else spells it?

I've given up letting myself be irritated by 'gunnel'. It's how 99% of posters here think it should be written.

I blame that Sally Gunwale woman. smile.png

Her and her double 'l'!biggrin.png

If you're going to use the phonetic spelling, isn't it "gun'l"?

I blame that Sally Gunwale woman. smile.png

As in that patriotic song 'When you come home again to Nels'?

I think you underestimate some of your forum colleagues!

Congratulations on being the first poster to spell "gunwale" correctly (apologies if I have missed any).

Errm - at least three or 4 people did, (including the OP) even before this thread got beyond page 1 (me included).

(........ and, of course, I would not expect someone who thinks engines under deck boards are superior to a proper engine room to be able to! :lol)

S'not really a gun anything is it? Isn't it just a little side deck? Isn't a gun el, wale, whale, etc. on a ship the thing above the deck that your cannon poked through and cowards like me hid behind when the Spanish let fly with their cannon?