D.I.Y Blacking

AlexK91

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone

I been looking at Information for D.I.Y Blacking but come up with different options everywhere I look.

I need to get my Blacking done this year and am probably going to Uxbridge boat centre to do it myself as recommended by a few people who have just had theirs done.

But I was wonder for a 36ft narrowboat. How much bitumen would I need and what's the best way of going about it? How many coats is best? Should I do the bottom or just the sides? Is it worth using a primer?

Any Advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

Two coats is enough, but the more the merrier. Three coats shouldn't use 10 litres and will leave you enough to touch up scrapes over the next couple of years until the next time you dock the boat.

As Ditchcrawler says, no primer.

Only do the sides, in my opinion the base plate is a waste of time, but others will disagree.

Halcyon is 36 feet long. I only blacked the sides, but 10L gave her 5 good coats.

I found it best to use a 'fluffy' 3" roller for the big areas and a 3" brush for the cutting in. About half a dozen roller heads will do as they soon fall apart.

Kevin

Edited by Kev's Halcyon

Halcyon is 36 feet long. I only blacked the sides, but 10L gave her 5 good coats.

I found it best to use a 'fluffy' 3" roller for the big areas and a 3" brush for the cutting in. About half a dozen roller heads will do as they soon fall apart.

Kevin

And if you need to store the brushes or rollers overnight, just stick them in a bucket of water, it keeps the bitumen from going off.

Uxbridge September 2015.. out Saturday lunchtime, jetwash for a couple of hours about half existing blacking came off (2.5 years old). Then used a 2" scraper (borrowed from Alan at Enfield Dock) to remove all the rest, took to around Sunday afternoon. Rytex slightly diluted with White Spirit (in the tin) then started with 4" roller (sale or return from chandlery).. oh paper overalls from eBay. Both coats took about 5 hours. On the Wednesday I added a third coat along the waterline and down to the baseplate. Only used a 5 litre tin...46ft long. Someone in the 'dry' dock had some blacking left and I used this to do some of the bottom, well the bits I could get at. You will most likely be under the roof rather than in the dock, I stayed from Saturday to Wednesday, pretty gloomy in there with a strip light the only light, 24 hours a day. Back in the water on the Saturday. Whilst there I had a BSS, full survey (insurance insisted) and the propeller nut tightened. Did the blacking by myself...

Survey recommendations included bottom to be blacked.