New Anchor Arrives

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Following our last anchoring experience, where we were dragging the anchor all night with chain of up to 10x depth of water, decide to replace it with a 'new-generation' anchor manufactured by the New Zealand company 'Mantus'. Their UK agent is in the Orkney's.

Anchor arrived today.

The 'blade' is manufactured rom 10mm, and the 'shank' from 16mm steel.

Weight = 65lbs

Length = 42"

Width = 28"

Blade length 24"

This is what it looks like assembled

2014.04.08-Mantus-Anchor-Unboxing-3.jpg

But I have not yet assembled mine as it will be easier to carry to the boat in its shipping box.

post-11859-0-70752800-1485788128_thumb.jpg

post-11859-0-74207300-1485788148_thumb.jpg

It has a 'forever' lifetime guarantee, in that if any part of it should bend or break it will be replaced free of charge - I wonder if that includes 'losing it' due to being unable to getting it 'back up' again ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

As you may be aware, the usual yachty trick is to attach a lightish line to the (in your case) big loop of steel at the front, and have a big float at the end of said line. Deploy the anchor and float, and if when you want to hoist anchor it is dug into or under something, move forward under power till you are over or even a bit in front of the anchor, and pull up on the float and line. With luck it will pull the anchor back out the way it went into the bottom.

It certainly worked on a friend's ketch many years ago off the Isles of Scilly.

Following our last anchoring experience, where we were dragging the anchor all night with chain of up to 10x depth of water, decide to replace it with a 'new-generation' anchor manufactured by the New Zealand company 'Mantus'. Their UK agent is in the Orkney's.

Anchor arrived today.

The 'blade' is manufactured rom 10mm, and the 'shank' from 16mm steel.

Weight = 65lbs

Length = 42"

Width = 28"

Blade length 24"

This is what it looks like assembled

But I have not yet assembled mine as it will be easier to carry to the boat in its shipping box.

It has a 'forever' lifetime guarantee, in that if any part of it should bend or break it will be replaced free of charge - I wonder if that includes 'losing it' due to being unable to getting it 'back up' again ?

I think you know the answer to that one........clapping.gif

With a few meters of 10mm chain you are looking at about 40kg to pull back on board.

Edited by Chewbacka

StillEarning : Thanks - yes the trip line should be attached to the 'hole' on top of the 'shank' (rather than the rolling-ring) which will be just forward of the C of G.

Are you familiar with the 'Alderney Ring' method of anchor recovery ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7v8uiDWFnE

I think you know the answer to that one........clapping.gif

With a few meters of 10mm chain you are looking at about 40kg to pull back on board.

I was thinking more about the 6000lbs+ force to get it to 'break-out' of the bottom

Edited by Alan de Enfield

That looks like a copy of a ROCNA which I've used a lot on yachts. Very good holding but watch it if you have to drop it in a hurry as they dig in very effectively and you will need a very good strong point on the boat.

That looks like a copy of a ROCNA which I've used a lot on yachts. Very good holding but watch it if you have to drop it in a hurry as they dig in very effectively and you will need a very good strong point on the boat.

And not dissimilar from the one piece Bugle which was the mutts nuts when I was sailing in the early 2000's.

sail016f_F.jpg

Small hole is for upsetting via anchor float line.

And not dissimilar from the one piece Bugle which was the mutts nuts when I was sailing in the early 2000's.

sail016f_F.jpg

Small hole is for upsetting via anchor float line.

You are correct - the Bugel is an earlier version, on which several manufacturers have developed 'improved performance' versions.

The latest generation have 'angled flukes' on the 'blade, rather than just a flat blade.

The 'science' says that the angle (like an aeroplane wing) helps the anchor to set more quickly, penetrate deeper, and resist dragging.

There is one manufacturer that has had to put 'slots' into their 'blade' as the 'suction' is (allegedly) so strong it cannot be 'pulled out'.

All of the latest generation seem to have these 'wings' (Mantus, Manson, & Rocna)

She is a 'big girl' and needs a good anchor.

post-11859-0-32407100-1485853726_thumb.jpg

You are correct - the Bugel is an earlier version, on which several manufacturers have developed 'improved performance' versions.

The latest generation have 'angled flukes' on the 'blade, rather than just a flat blade.

The 'science' says that the angle (like an aeroplane wing) helps the anchor to set more quickly, penetrate deeper, and resist dragging.

There is one manufacturer that has had to put 'slots' into their 'blade' as the 'suction' is (allegedly) so strong it cannot be 'pulled out'.

All of the latest generation seem to have these 'wings' (Mantus, Manson, & Rocna)

She is a 'big girl' and needs a good anchor.

attachicon.gifEEJX5aTsU3r2JW-Ng5SoWYpu1n-w3TgiUegUY-b4A2U.jpg

Big but quite light, I imagine? The ketch I used to sail was a French built all steel 38' with 6' draught can't remember it's weight though.