Stair/step fittings

jddevel

Featured Posts

Advice please. What did you use to attach the top of your steps fore and aft. Obviously the bottom I envisage a simple bolt but the top I wanted a "bracket" that would allow

the steps to easily be lifted off. Is something like that readily available please?

Advice please. What did you use to attach the top of your steps fore and aft. Obviously the bottom I envisage a simple bolt but the top I wanted a "bracket" that would allow

the steps to easily be lifted off. Is something like that readily available please?

If they can't move away from the bulkhead at the bottom the top doesn't need fixing. The only way it would be possible to move is sideways so if the base sits in a shoe it's perfectly firm and safe.

I think the best method is a rebated strip of timber screwed to the bulkhead with a strip of timber under the top tread engaging with it. No bolts or other fittings are required an nothing is fitted to nor are holes drilled into the floor. Removal is just a matter of lifting the steps about 25mm.

Google French cleat and will probably be something similar to Mikl'es description and easy to make if you have access to a table saw or circular saw or a friend who does....

Not quite. A French Cleat will pull the steps tight to the bulkhead but unless perfectly positioned won't allow the steps to sit on the floor. Mike's description is just a pair of matching 'steps' which could be made with say a strip of 20x20mm and a strip of 12x30mm softwood, one pair on the steps and one pair on the bulkhead.

Edited by WotEver

FWIW I did away with the ladder type front steps and made two stout boxes, one twice the height of the other. These I screwed to teh floor through teh base and they can be removed by undoing 2 screws in each. Steps plus extra storage.

It also allowed me to put a turn in the bottom step to better utilise otherwise wasted space.