Windows 10

sailor0500

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, hounddog said:

I've spent over £60 on lightning cables over the past few years, they all break easily. On the other hand I have (just) wrapped up a bundle of 6 surplus micro USB. I could buy a micro USB for around £3 the cheapest lightning cable I know is £14. Apple lock out cheap eBay lightning cables.

Apple seriously piss me off with overpriced fragile proprietary cables.

Although I think I might have cracked it, with the help of Waitrose of all people - they sold me a Belkin cable which is essentially a micro usb with a plug on adapter for lightning so, hopefully, I won't have to buy another every again (if the cable goes, I'll use the adaptor on a cheap micro USB)

I find the USB micro/mini standard irritating.  Is it a micro or mini end, which way round does it go?  Oh a new standard will be out in a few years time to replace the mini, oh great.  At least with Apple they kept to their standard on mobile for a good period of time.  All Apple end products now using the lightning connector, it's a good connector, feels more robust than USB-C mobile end but (Although i agree, apple cables or poor, the connectors are designed well - I prefer braided cables so I tend to buy them for my main usage, but I've never had to replace a Apple cable (but I do have a few of them around anyhow) ) and was out a few years before USB-C, so Apple users have benefited from this connector for a while, where only now USB-C has become the new standard.

Now what did my Kindle use again to charge, where's my USB cable, oh it's the wrong type.  Anyone got a mini USB cable?

Edited by Robbo

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

The lightning connector is easy to get fluff in though and then it stops working and Apple try charging you a fortune for a repair.

Had that with the old connector (and old toothbrush solved that), not with the lighting one yet.

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

I'm enjoying using a raspberry pi on the boat, raspian os is OK for my uses and the pi manages full HD pretty well...

And all for about 10 watts !!

Awesome :P:D

If you like pi's take a look at the LattePanda, it's more powerful that a Pi and contains a arduino board built in as well.

48 minutes ago, Robbo said:

If you like pi's take a look at the LattePanda, it's more powerful that a Pi and contains a arduino board built in as well.

Cheers Robbo....!

I have loads of arduino projects on the go too, so that sounds like a great bit of kit...:D

10 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I remember 8" hard sector discs and proper ferrite core memory.

And writing programs to run in 8K of memory...

I like a tablet for what it is good for - always on and to hand for a quick bit of googling.  However I will stick with my main desktop with networked laptops at home for as long as I can.  At least you can see what you are doing and easily network the devices.

1 minute ago, dor said:

And writing programs to run in 8K of memory...

I like a tablet for what it is good for - always on and to hand for a quick bit of googling.  However I will stick with my main desktop with networked laptops at home for as long as I can.  At least you can see what you are doing and easily network the devices.

Agreed - A tablet is like a magazine and good for passive computing, but not so good for typing and rubbish for spreadsheets etc.  Though I do have one and use it everyday mainly for reading news and video messaging, youtube etc

10 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I remember 8" hard sector discs and proper ferrite core memory.

And those ICL 15inch(?) disk drives that looked like  big top-loader washing machines and weighed considerably more. Before that there was memory on the face of ex WW2 radar cathode ray tubes- I never did understand how that worked

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2017 at 20:35, Allan(nb Albert) said:

Via the Windows Insider program I have now had sight of Microsoft's solution to the lack of control of updates on Win 10 Home. As from April this year there will be a setting that allows you to 'pause' updates for up to five weeks. In effect, this means that you can choose when updates are downloaded and installed (by switching the 'pause' off and forcing a 'check for updates' and then switching 'pause' back on). If you don't switch the 'pause' off in five weeks then WIN 10 will default to its normal behaviour.

Not sure if this applies to versions other than Home (i.e. WIN 10 phone, WIN 10 Pro etc.)

I guess the rationale behind this approach is that switching off updates permanently exposes you to viruses etc.

BTW this post comes from WIN 10 Home in tablet mode ...

An update on the above.

Microsoft will start to roll out the latest edition of Windows tomorrow. Unfortunately, Windows Home users will not have the option to pause updates as earlier suggested by Microsoft.

However, I have been very successfully using a small program called Windows Update Blocker (WUB) which stops the Windows Update Service (and also prevents WIN 10 restarting it - a problem I had touched on in a previous post).

The program can be downloaded from bit.ly/blocker420 and works well with my pre-release of Windows Creators Update.  

I'm not sure that there is anything it this latest release of much interest to the average user apart from the promise of a revised updating mechanism which is claimed to be more efficient.

Not only does windows ignore all attempts to stop it updating, twice in the last 4 weeks it has updated first time it spent 40 minutes, and over one hour last time, with no real warning just your pc needs restarting. On the first occasion it wiped out my documents and pictures. Fortunately mostly backed up.

Why is it necessary to do such updates which change the look and feel, what is better with the kids drawing windows as opposed to the nice embossed windows we are used to. It is my pc not Microsoft's. If the software I know and use was available on any other platform windows would be history.

Unfortunately I liked windows 8 even less bring back 7.