Windows 10

sailor0500

Featured Posts

In case you are not sure how to set your dongle as metered it is like this >>>>>

Single click the WiFi icon in the bottom right corner, this will bring up a list of nearby WiFi networks.

Click the network that is your EE dongle.

Click properties, scroll down and turn on 'metered connection'

Now it knows it is 'paid for' and will limit background activity.

This setting is just for this network, so when you connect to others it will revert to 'not metered', until you connect again to your EE dongle.

I tried this but can't find my dongle. shows connection is via ethernet 2?

I believe that happened on our windows based laptop. I swear I had disabled all updates, yet one day my wife announced that the screen "looked different."

It had installed 10.

The mechanism is different between 8 and 10. In 8 you could chose between four options and choose the one that said 'Never check for Updates'. However, there are suggestions that this was clobbered so that important updates (including the update for Win 10!) were downloaded and installed ...

In WIN 10 those options do not exist. I was talking about the bit of software that controls the updates.

If you right click on the Microsoft icon (bottom right of screen) and then on Command Prompt (Admin) and then type 'services.msc' in the window that pops up it will show all the services that are running. It is the Windows Update service that finds, downloads and installs updates. If the startup type is set to 'Disable', it should, in theory never run.

However, Microsoft is so hell bent on home users updating automatically that it will ignore the 'Disable' and run it anyway.

There are ways round this but they tend to be a bit technical.

... and it seems that Microsoft eventually gets round the get rounds!

The mechanism is different between 8 and 10. In 8 you could chose between four options and choose the one that said 'Never check for Updates'. However, there are suggestions that this was clobbered so that important updates (including the update for Win 10!) were downloaded and installed ...

In WIN 10 those options do not exist. I was talking about the bit of software that controls the updates.

If you right click on the Microsoft icon (bottom right of screen) and then on Command Prompt (Admin) and then type 'services.msc' in the window that pops up it will show all the services that are running. It is the Windows Update service that finds, downloads and installs updates. If the startup type is set to 'Disable', it should, in theory never run.

However, Microsoft is so hell bent on home users updating automatically that it will ignore the 'Disable' and run it anyway.

There are ways round this but they tend to be a bit technical.

... and it seems that Microsoft eventually gets round the get rounds!

Yes I have read that elsewhere. Pretty certain that happened to us. I can see no other way that it would have upgraded.

I really hope so it has been a disaster from day one

Most stuff appears to say they will keep the name "10" but it will radically alter over time (as on might expect.) so my guess is they will bin it (several times) but keep the name rolleyes.gif

I have reinstalled the factory backup and gone back to 8.1 meaning our computer works again.

As somebody who has used almost every version of windows and DOS I can say that Windows 10 is pretty good.

98, XP 10, and to a lesser extent 7 are the good ones. 3.1 was ok.

Vista was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

..................Dave

As somebody who has used almost every version of windows and DOS I can say that Windows 10 is pretty good.

..................Dave

I agree that XP and 7 were good I really liked XP, 98 was good on our school machines too. Vista had an awful name, but oddly I had a laptop with it on and it worked OK for me! I did change it eventually though for Linux Xubuntu which was very good for my purpose, extremely lightwieght and efficient. Seemed to be really good on that particular laptop (Fujitsu; lasted for years.) 3.1 on the very first PC I actually owned, and that worked well.

Can't say if Windows 10 is any good as my machine kept going BSOD. Could rarely get on the net to find a solution either.

On blance I like Linux best, but accept its limitations as said earlier.

im not pc savy..so all this is double dutch to me ...as it is i have windows 7

If it does what you ask of it then I would say stick with it. Was OK on one of my lash up PC's.

Windows 10 is pretty good.

If Vista was baaaaaaaaaaad, Windows Me was a rushed out piece of crud, cynically released for the millenium. So many new comuter users at the time thought it was the same as Win 2000 (which was a decent OS with the NT kernel on which XP was subsequently built, again a decent OS). Using 8.1 these days on lappy, only real experience with 10 was to roll back to 8.1 an auto update on a family member's PC.

If Vista was baaaaaaaaaaad, Windows Me was a rushed out piece of crud, cynically released for the millenium. So many new comuter users at the time thought it was the same as Win 2000 (which was a decent OS with the NT kernel on which XP was subsequently built, again a decent OS). Using 8.1 these days on lappy, only real experience with 10 was to roll back to 8.1 an auto update on a family member's PC.

Was it playing up on 10?

I had forgotten about ME. Never used it but heard some stuff about it.

Edited by Guest

I found win10 updates a complete pain, not because of the data usage but because IT would decide when it was going to slow my PC right down whilst it downloaded and installed gigabytes of updates. It didn't seem too unreasonable that I should be in control of when it did that, not Mr Microsoft.

Anyway, I found this http://www.pcworld.com/article/3085136/windows/two-ways-to-control-or-stop-windows-10-updates.html

which worked for me (the group policy edit). Now my PC sends me a polite message when it wants to download some updates, and I allow it to do it when it suits ME! Only works with win 10 professional, enterprise or education unfortunately, although I suspect you could edit it directly into the registry if you knew what you were doing.

It was older peripherals that were the issue.

Right, cheers. I did wonder that with our Acer, but everything suggested it should have been OK with 10.

I will never know! :)

Most stuff appears to say they will keep the name "10" but it will radically alter over time (as on might expect.) so my guess is they will bin it (several times) but keep the name rolleyes.gif

I have reinstalled the factory backup and gone back to 8.1 meaning our computer works again.

Ahoy Catweasel. I have a nearly new Notebook which Microsoft tricked me into down grading from W8.1 to W10. Because of the huge data usage when updating I wish to upgrade back to W8.1. Question is. Does the change over use as much Gorillabites-data as it did when it downgraded to W10,which was about 4 Gorillabites. I only use the notebook occasionally, and at times avoiding mid month when these huge updates are usually on the way to bite me. I've managed to dodge the last few by going online for about 5 mins, do what I want sharpish and off again.

I am mainly on my big machine, like now, which is Vista and has been faultless.

I found win10 updates a complete pain, not because of the data usage but because IT would decide when it was going to slow my PC right down whilst it downloaded and installed gigabytes of updates. It didn't seem too unreasonable that I should be in control of when it did that, not Mr Microsoft.

Anyway, I found this http://www.pcworld.com/article/3085136/windows/two-ways-to-control-or-stop-windows-10-updates.html

which worked for me (the group policy edit). Now my PC sends me a polite message when it wants to download some updates, and I allow it to do it when it suits ME! Only works with win 10 professional, enterprise or education unfortunately, although I suspect you could edit it directly into the registry if you knew what you were doing.

I agree with Win 10 updates being a pain. There are numerous stories of updates happening at the wrong moment.

As you infer, your workaround does not with WIN 10 Home. The only way in which I am aware you can stop automatic updates in WIN 10 Home is as I have posted earlier. However you have to also take action to ensure that Microsoft attempts to change the Windows Update service back from 'Disable' back to 'Manual' either fail or are reversed.

Ahoy Catweasel. I have a nearly new Notebook which Microsoft tricked me into down grading from W8.1 to W10. Because of the huge data usage when updating I wish to upgrade back to W8.1. Question is. Does the change over use as much Gorillabites-data as it did when it downgraded to W10,which was about 4 Gorillabites. I only use the notebook occasionally, and at times avoiding mid month when these huge updates are usually on the way to bite me. I've managed to dodge the last few by going online for about 5 mins, do what I want sharpish and off again.

I am mainly on my big machine, like now, which is Vista and has been faultless.

Ahoy Bizzard!

I backed up the Win 8 when the machine was new, so it was just a question of zapping it and reloading 8. It has used a few gigs since though to do a few hundred updates. I believe you can download Windows 8 from the microsft site and bung it on a pen drive etc to install, but it is about 4 gigs I think.

Can you stop the Win 10 from updating as per the post further back?

I guess most will not have heard of Windows Mistake Edition ...

Ahoy Bizzard!

I backed up the Win 8 when the machine was new, so it was just a question of zapping it and reloading 8. It has used a few gigs since though to do a few hundred updates. I believe you can download Windows 8 from the microsft site and bung it on a pen drive etc to install, but it is about 4 gigs I think.

Can you stop the Win 10 from updating as per the post further back?

No, mine's basic home. I'll get by by dodging them for now, I quite enjoy it. Thanks anyway. Its been raining here, which I collect in bowls for Satchidanander to drink and for topping up batteries. Its stopped raining now so I'm about to filter and decant it into bottles. Cheers.

No, mine's basic home. I'll get by by dodging them for now, I quite enjoy it. Thanks anyway. Its been raining here, which I collect in bowls for Satchidanander to drink and for topping up batteries. Its stopped raining now so I'm about to filter and decant it into bottles. Cheers.

Metred connection should do the trick according to this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/226722/how-when-and-why-to-set-a-connection-as-metered-on-windows-10/

I actually like Windows 10. I find it's like XP but better.

Syncs with my iPad and windows phone (not many of us with a Windows phoneclapping.gif )

For the future I see windows going the way of MS office 365 which is in the cloud. If you close your office 365 account it stops working, will they dare do that with windows in the future???????

I actually like Windows 10. I find it's like XP but better.

Syncs with my iPad and windows phone (not many of us with a Windows phoneclapping.gif )

For the future I see windows going the way of MS office 365 which is in the cloud. If you close your office 365 account it stops working, will they dare do that with windows in the future???????

Many years ago, I was an operating system consultant. I have retained a strong interest ever since.

Where WIN 10 excels is its ability to run on PC/Laptop, tablet and phone. Where it falls down is its inability to easily provide WIN XP/7/8 users with a similar look and feel, backwards compatibility (drivers), replacement of programs with Apps (with less capabilities) and the dreaded 'can't get rid of them' updates.

It rather sticks in my throat to say it, but I am happy with WIN 10 on my twin screen desktop. In the early days, I used to run 'Classic Shell' to make it look like older versions of Windows. However, I have now discarded it.

With my transformer laptop, I had a few early problems but now it is great. Swapping between Laptop and tablet mode is a doddle. It is simply a case of pulling the screen away from the keyboard and optionally pressing 'tablet mode'

The only downside I have found with WIN 10 in tablet mode compared to android or apple is a lack of Apps. Much Windows software remains to be converted but will still run.

I have a windows 10 phone, an that is the same in terms of updates, it just does them when it wants and can eat your data, it does have the option to disable unless on a non metered network but I believe this only lasts for so long and the update will.come at some point.

I always try to connect both phone and laptop to WiFi if I have the chance at least once a month and let the updates happen, not easy for everyone I understand if you have zero access to WiFi at a house.