Windows 10

sailor0500

Featured Posts

You can tell it in settings not to download over a metered connection, and in your laptop's wifi settings, tell it that the dongle is a metered connection.

It will still do a few that it considers too important to delay, then when you have a different connection (someone else's wifi) go into settings update and tell it to update Windows.

Most updates aren't particularly big, except twice a year when it does a major update.

In case you are not sure how to set your dongle as metered it is like this >>>>>

Single click the WiFi icon in the bottom right corner, this will bring up a list of nearby WiFi networks.

Click the network that is your EE dongle.

Click properties, scroll down and turn on 'metered connection'

Now it knows it is 'paid for' and will limit background activity.

This setting is just for this network, so when you connect to others it will revert to 'not metered', until you connect again to your EE dongle.

Edited by Chewbacka
  • Greenie 2

In case you are not sure how to set your dongle as metered it is like this >>>>>

Single click the WiFi icon in the bottom right corner, this will bring up a list of nearby WiFi networks.

Click the network that is your EE dongle.

Click properties, scroll down and turn on 'metered connection'

Now it knows it is 'paid for' and will limit background activity.

This setting is just for this network, so when you connect to others it will revert to 'not metered', until you connect again to your EE dongle.

Works on Win 8.1 too.

HHMMM that method doesn't work for me although I admit that I am not using a dongle. The alternative method is. Left click the start button bottom left of the task bar. Left click settings. Left click network and internet. Left click your dongle connection. Left click advanced options. Turn on set as metered connection.

Just to add that it does work if you click network settings below your internet connection. I cannot bring up properties by following the previous instructions on my Win 10.

Edited by pete.i

just to add

do check this setting from time to time as changing some network settings can cause the metered thing to reset.

Also you will sometimes need to remove it if you install new things that need to download device drivers else windows will fail to download these and will give an unhelpful error message that does not indicate the metered connection to be the cause.

................Dave

i had the same problem .i was told not to except updates so i dont ...and it works fine ...maybe not the done thing ..but i only use it for emails i dont bank facebook or any of the other things ...

Well as Windows10 has had a couple of massive updates not to mention lots of small ones as well, should you ever decide to update it be prepared for it to take a few hours and numerous restarts.

Well as Windows10 has had a couple of massive updates not to mention lots of small ones as well, should you ever decide to update it be prepared for it to take a few hours and numerous restarts.

...and in my case never work properly again! smile.png

I rolled it back to Win 8.1 last week and all is well again.

It is possible that MS are ready to bin 10 if what I read yesterday was true.

Edited by Guest

...and in my case never work properly again! smile.png

I rolled it back to Win 8.1 last week and all is well again.

It is possible that MS are ready to bin 10 if what I read yesterday was true.

what did you read yesterday?

..............Dave

what did you read yesterday?

..............Dave

Can't remember where, I read a lot of stuff in a day, but it was widely believed that 10 wouldn't be around for a great deal longer. I'll see if I can find it again. I think 8 was one of the shortest lived OS from MS?

Edit first thing I found was that win 10 might be the last one ever and they will stay with it! That said i think I read the same about XP some years ago!

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/microsoft-may-not-replace-windows-10-could-be-the-last-version-of-the-os-266679.html

Edited by Guest

While it can annoying, keeping Windows up to date is quite important. May be worth a trip to McDonalds or somewhere where you can use their free WiFI to update it. I am assuming they don't block traffic for Windows updates though, I could be wrong.

FWIW I pay £28 a month for a EE 64GB data only sim though it's not available on their website - I had to call them.

Windows as a service is the future direction built on Windows 10. There will just be rolling updates but there won't be a Windows 11. So far there was the anniversary update to Windows 10 last November which was a massive update and there will be another large update around March time this year.

Windows is in a dodgy position as the computing world is moving to tablets and phones and Microsoft have seriously missed that bus.

I can't see how they can keep giving out free updates to Win10 so might have to do a new version to make some money.

I predict PC's will mostly survive at work rather than home so keeping their corporate customers happy might be a big factor.

Whatever happens the future will be much more based on "renting" stuff (services) over the internet which is bad news for us boaters who rely on mobile data.

I remember the old days of been dependant on a central mainframe for computing needs and it was not good, were going full circle.

................Dave

Windows is in a dodgy position as the computing world is moving to tablets and phones and Microsoft have seriously missed that bus.

I can't see how they can keep giving out free updates to Win10 so might have to do a new version to make some money.

I predict PC's will mostly survive at work rather than home so keeping their corporate customers happy might be a big factor.

Whatever happens the future will be much more based on "renting" stuff (services) over the internet which is bad news for us boaters who rely on mobile data.

I remember the old days of been dependant on a central mainframe for computing needs and it was not good, were going full circle.

................Dave

I wouldn't worry too much as far as mobile data is concerned. I think as time passes, more and more consumers will ditch their fixed line broadband for 4G/LTE MiFI etc. It's only a matter of time until network providers offer high usage allowances.

dmr, on 29 Jan 2017 - 3:25 PM, said:

................Dave

Tush, tush - shorely not......

MS from the beginning said that W10 was to be the last land based OS - but it doesn't mean they won't maintain it - just no new bells and whistles, which looking at some of the dross that's already in it - no loss

From henceforth everything will be cloud based and hence PAYG. MS are already pushing W10 as a service being the best thing since sliced bread. Having been Stateside last autumn, you can keep their sliced bread....

WinXP, 7, 8 8.1 are still around and I think can be obtained legally through resellers.

Of course 'we' could all buy Apple (kerching...)

................Dave

Things have certainly changed, so it wll be interesting to see where we go. I will be using Linux when on board the boat full time. Just using windows in the interim.

I wouldn't worry too much as far as mobile data is concerned. I think as time passes, more and more consumers will ditch their fixed line broadband for 4G/LTE MiFI etc. It's only a matter of time until network providers offer high usage allowances.

Not sure about this.

Frequency spectrum is a finite resource so only option is smaller cells and hence more masts and this needs to be paid for. Both fewer landlines and more dependence on the internet for everything (including watching TV) will keep the system under pressure so if you believe in supply and demand its hard to see how the price can fall.

...............Dave

Things have certainly changed, so it wll be interesting to see where we go. I will be using Linux when on board the boat full time. Just using windows in the interim.

but Linux has had its opportunities and missed every one of them, its just too geeky for everyday use. I try to be non Microsoft and use Firefox and Thunderbird but will have to ditch these soon as the geeks produce far too many updates making changes to the user interface etc, its actually worse than Microsoft now.

Also I want to actually use my computer, I really don't want to be downloading latest untested bits of source code and compiling them myself.

Its sad that somebody like Google did not step in and produce a sensible stable version of Linux, a sort of Android++ for PC.

...............Dave (reluctant Windows user)

Not sure about this.

Frequency spectrum is a finite resource so only option is smaller cells and hence more masts and this needs to be paid for. Both fewer landlines and more dependence on the internet for everything (including watching TV) will keep the system under pressure so if you believe in supply and demand its hard to see how the price can fall.

...............Dave

I remember similar arguments being used when I said that most phones would be mobile phones in years to come.

but Linux has had its opportunities and missed every one of them, its just too geeky for everyday use. I try to be non Microsoft and use Firefox and Thunderbird but will have to ditch these soon as the geeks produce far too many updates making changes to the user interface etc, its actually worse than Microsoft now.

Also I want to actually use my computer, I really don't want to be downloading latest untested bits of source code and compiling them myself.

Its sad that somebody like Google did not step in and produce a sensible stable version of Linux, a sort of Android++ for PC.

...............Dave (reluctant Windows user)

I know what you mean and have to agree that certain areas of Linux are questionable. The driver issue is the biggest problem, not the fault of Linux, but the reluctance by manufactureres to provide drivers.

It also depends on what you want from a computer. For what I do, Linux Mint or Ubuntu do a fine job and are legally free. I can see that they would not be suitable for some users though, and Windows would perhaps be a more suitable option.

I shall probably buy a tablet next time, and just keep an old lappy for odd bits of typing in MS Word or Libra and printing stuff off, so any old Windows or Linux system will do for that.

I remember similar arguments being used when I said that most phones would be mobile phones in years to come.

I remember a lecturer when I was at university writing equations to prove that mobile phones could never happen due to lack of frequency spectrum.

I also had a friend who noted that some memory chips are photo sensitive so suggested to his University supervisor that it would be possible to make a device to scan documents into a computer. "Why would anybody want to scan documents" was the reply.

.............Dave

I remember a lecturer when I was at university writing equations to prove that mobile phones could never happen due to lack of frequency spectrum.

I also had a friend who noted that some memory chips are photo sensitive so suggested to his University supervisor that it would be possible to make a device to scan documents into a computer. "Why would anybody want to scan documents" was the reply.

.............Dave

Yes we should dream big!

The digital revolution changed a lot of possibilities. I wonder what will replace that technology?

My aged father in law still refuses to believe that driverless cars are imminent. He says it is not possible.

We used to have "Iphones" as kids that we made out of blocks of wood with a screen and keypad pencilled on. Mine was a lazer cutter too, so I think I have got one over on Apple?

Hi everybody. I am using windows 10 on my laptop via EE dongle. I have 4 gig a month of data but windows downloads updates automatically and this takes a big chunk of my data at times. Anyone found a way to disable it that's fairly idiot proof? Thanks.

I disable the windows update service. However, this requires a bit of expertise because Microsoft actively attempt to prevent this.

I disable the windows update service. However, this requires a bit of expertise because Microsoft actively attempt to prevent this.

I believe that happened on our windows based laptop. I swear I had disabled all updates, yet one day my wife announced that the screen "looked different."

It had installed 10.