Dunton Double Windlass

IanM

Featured Posts

That's why I said alternatives! clapping.gif They look good and have 2-year warranties.

If I wanted a generic windlass I wouldn't have specifically mentioned the type I was after. It's for a present anyway so need it to be a Dunton Double :)

Canal Shop online appear to have them listed on http://www.canalshoponline.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d33_01.html

How much ?!?

Time to put mine in safe storage I think.

Seriously anyone thinking of spending that much, I have witnessed the head snapping off one.

Canal Shop online appear to have them listed on http://www.canalshoponline.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d33_01.html

I did see that but the phrase "Please be aware that despatch may take longer if we do not have the items you require on the shelves." put me off a bit. Would be nice to know if they have them in stock first.

How much ?!?

Time to put mine in safe storage I think.

Seriously anyone thinking of spending that much, I have witnessed the head snapping off one.

Becky's got her heart set on one after borrowing one last year. If it snaps, it snaps but at least I tried :)

Double Dunton windlasses were never widely available. However, these days Canal Shop at Hillmorton seems to be the only place you can possibly source one. I have heard tell that they sometimes have stock. They also take online orders. Why not give them a call to establish the current situation.

Double Dunton windlasses were never widely available. However, these days Canal Shop at Hillmorton seems to be the only place you can possibly source one. I have heard tell that they sometimes have stock. They also take online orders. Why not give them a call to establish the current situation.

Or message CanalShopMan who seems to have made a reappearance on here. (It's his business).

This might be tempting fate but we've had our duntons since about 1993 and theve coped well with everything thrown at them....ones a plus model too. SWMBO only swaps to a steel one when it's a less than nice area and she doesn't fancy being done for "going equipped"....

I think they hadn't been out long when we got them....maybe the alloy was stronger then?

This might be tempting fate but we've had our duntons since about 1993 and theve coped well with everything thrown at them....ones a plus model too. SWMBO only swaps to a steel one when it's a less than nice area and she doesn't fancy being done for "going equipped"....

I think they hadn't been out long when we got them....maybe the alloy was stronger then?

To be clear I have not personally broken a Dunton Double, but I have seen it done by someone else, and they weren't doing a difficult paddle when it occurred.

We have however broken the top of two of the Walsh long throw alloy ones now, (one down to me, and the other to Cath). One showed obvious imperfections in the casting, and was replaced FOC, but the second one showed n obvious flaws (other than the top was no longer attached to the handle!).

I like carrying the much lighter alloy windlasses over a steel or cast iron one, but I can no longer say I trust either of these popular brands completely.

I'll don't think he'll be back. He seems to be in a sh***y mood for some reason.

I must have missed that! Toilet troubles?

What? Composting toilets?

No the windlass's . I have no problem with his composting loos and he had the guts to come on here and defend them. but like rudders you are not allowed to have anything different on a Narrowboat, so I will carry on with a bucket and ********** *******

Only problem I have found with them is that they don't float

Ah but if you put a few jubilee clips on them the sea searcher will find them :-)

I hasten to add that mine is not a posh windlass but an aluminium one

Haggis

Edited by haggis

Bought one there as a pressie for my beloved last year...he loves it ?

Added jubilee clips as I would go mental if he dropped it in the cut(not cheap!)

Edited by The Bearwood Boster