Separating Compost Toilet - AC Electric - Urine Diverting - Self Contained

buchanan

Featured Posts

And if you want to buy John's toilet, we can supply a 12 volt (or 24 volt) fan to convert it for a boat. We can also supply a low level urine tank. PM me for details

I too can supply urine tanks.

I have a selection of bottles, jugs and bowls.

From 10p to £50.

Or save your pennies and use a hedge for free.

Talking sense will get you absolutely nowhere...............

But I just dont get it.

I think it's a marketing con that isnt suitable for boating.

I too can supply urine tanks.

I have a selection of bottles, jugs and bowls.

From 10p to £50.

Or save your pennies and use a hedge for free.

But I just dont get it.

I think it's a marketing con that isnt suitable for boating.

I wholeheartedly agree. There are precisely 31 boats moored here and I know all the boats non of which have a composting bog. I have been aboard and cruised the uk for quite a few years and can count on one hand how many I have come across they simply dont make any more sense than a gas free boat and how many of those do you know against the thousands of boats with gas, its the same thing but hey ho its not our money or messing about.

• Greenie 1

Talking about and showing the different NB types of toilet, to go straight to the composting one jump to 13th minute.

CTC is quite a good vlog, it's well worth subscribing to his videos as they are quite enjoyable even tho a boater will already know the stuff he covers.

I agree, they are well filmed and edited and he has a nice delivery style, I have enjoyed watching him.

Another vlog I enjoy is Sail Life which I would highly recommend. He is fitting out a sail boat for living on so it's s build blog, he also has good delivery, etc.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy an Airhead. It's a horrendous amount of money and I haven't even seen one yet to check the quality. However the bloke at the UK distributors assures me that if I don't like it I can return it for a full refund including return shipping. I assume that's only good until I have a dump in it! He won't want it back after that!

The Airhead was delivered today. First impressions: it's a lot of money for what it is, especially as the build quality doesn't look that great. The hinges on the toilet seat look flimsy and I wonder how much spares from the U.S. cost? The other thing I'm not sure about is the angle of the liquid collection part of the bowl. It doesn't seem large or steep enough to prevent it backing up and going into the solids container.

I'll mull it over for a few days but until someone can come up with a decent quality composting toilet I'm leaning towards sending it back for a refund.

Perhaps Blackrose has a short 'hose'?

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy an Airhead. It's a horrendous amount of money and I haven't even seen one yet to check the quality. However the bloke at the UK distributors assures me that if I don't like it I can return it for a full refund including return shipping. I assume that's only good until I have a dump in it! He won't want it back after that!

Well, he certainly stands behind his product!

Perhaps Blackrose has a short 'hose'?

Never had any complaints... A black girl I once went out with told me I was doing ok - for a white guy! laugh.png

I've decided to send the Airhead back and instead spend the money on refurbing my Vacuflush. Even if I end up buying a new docking base with new vacuum pump, 2 new cassettes and sealing kit, it's still cheaper than the Airhead. I spoke to Fred from the forum on the phone this morning about his Nature's head, and his review has convinced me that a bit more development work and better build quality is required on these composting loos before they're good enough for my boat.

Edited by blackrose

Never had any complaints... A black girl I once went out with told me I was doing ok - for a white guy! :lol:

I've decided to send the Airhead back and instead spend the money on refurbing my Vacuflush. Even if I end up buying a new docking base with new vacuum pump, 2 new cassettes and sealing kit, it's still cheaper than the Airhead. I spoke to Fred from the forum on the phone this morning about his Nature's head, and his review has convinced me that a bit more development work and better build quality is required on these composting loos before they're good enough for my boat.

Thanks for updating us all.

Hands up how many of you have ever even seen a composting loo never mind used one? thought so apart from Mike and Richard none of you!!! I would never ever go back to a pumpout or cassette loo they are s**t!

My sererate villa is normally emptied every 2 - 3 months the liquid is poured on the grass which it makes nice a green the compost goes to my mates compost heap which the worms love, the system works and works well. If I was out cruising I would dig a hole and bury it safe in the knowledge that in a year it would be gone and the grass would be greener. [ I have tried this so I know I am right]

Its good to know that Dinosaurs still roam the earth as clearly some of the posters on this thread are just that

Hands up how many of you have ever even seen a composting loo never mind used one? thought so apart from Mike and Richard none of you!!! I would never ever go back to a pumpout or cassette loo they are s**t!

My sererate villa is normally emptied every 2 - 3 months the liquid is poured on the grass which it makes nice a green the compost goes to my mates compost heap which the worms love, the system works and works well. If I was out cruising I would dig a hole and bury it safe in the knowledge that in a year it would be gone and the grass would be greener. [ I have tried this so I know I am right]

Its good to know that Dinosaurs still roam the earth as clearly some of the posters on this thread are just that

Well blackrose took the plunge of one of the better known makes for the boating market and is sending it back. For me the compost loo sounds like too much hassle and the current loos for this market don't shout quality like a lot of cassette loos. Now if there was a nice porcelain version (this ones I've seen are not suitable for boats as the storage is on the floor below) I would like to know about.

• Greenie 2

Thanks for your PM Peter. The Separett Villa 12v looks ok (certainly better than the competition) and if one has access to a compost heap like you do then I'm sure it's a good solution. However, unlike the Airhead or Natures Head, the solids container of the Separett Villa has no agitator to mix the waste with the composting media (sawdust, peat moss, etc) to aerate the waste and start the composting process. So as far as I can tell it's not really a composting toilet at all - rather it just separates the liquid from solids and then the solids just sit in a bag the bucket - albeit with an extractor fan to dry the solids out and take away the smell. As I said, if you put the solids on a composting heap for 6 months that's fine, but I don't have access to a compost heap and I don't want to deposit raw shit in a bin, so I'm afraid it's not for me.

http://www.separett.eu/villa-9010-eu

I've still no idea how the urine is collected and where it goes as there seems to be no liquid container?

Edited by blackrose

All this talk of 'composting' loos being good for the environment and somehow doing something 'special' appears to ignore the fact that sewage treatment plants do just the same thing except someone else is doing it for you in a controlled and monitored environment.

Treated human poo from a sewage works is spread across farmers fields every day to help feed the crops we eat.

Let someone else deal with it - instant disposal.

Do it yourself - store six months worth of festering poo on your boat.

Ok, but your post seems to ignore the fact that most boats aren't connected to mains sewerage? huh.png

Anyway, I don't think most people with composting toilets have chosen that option because they are trying to be "green". The motivation, for those I've spoken to at least, was to avoid the much discussed issues associated with both pump out toilets or cassettes.

Edit: And of course in that endeavour other issues will always present themselves. Unfortunately in the world of boats and toilets there is no silver bullet.

Edited by blackrose