Separating Compost Toilet - AC Electric - Urine Diverting - Self Contained

buchanan

Featured Posts

But you do pour (or suck) the contents into the mains sewerage I hope.

Yes I do, but as I intimated above, it's the fact that we have to do that on a very regular basis for cassettes and on a less frequent but somewhat troublesome and expensive basis for pump-outs, which is the primary motivation for most of those who have chosen composting toilets. That was certainly my reason for ordering one.

Edited by blackrose

Yes I do, but as I intimated above, it's the fact that we have to do that on a very regular basis for cassettes and on a less frequent but somewhat troublesome and expensive basis for pump-outs, which is the primary motivation for most of those who have chosen composting toilets. That was certainly my reason for ordering one.

Wostman Eco Dry is the one that I've seen that I like the look of but not really suitable for boats unless you can design a container suitable for it.

All this talk of 'composting' loos being good for the environment and somehow doing something 'special' appears to ignore the fact that sewage treatment plants do just the same thing except someone else is doing it for you in a controlled and monitored environment.

Treated human poo from a sewage works is spread across farmers fields every day to help feed the crops we eat.

Let someone else deal with it - instant disposal.

Do it yourself - store six months worth of festering poo on your boat.

It would not require too much effort to modify a Cassette toilet so that most of the Urine content was directed to a a separate Container

The Cassette would last longer and the Urine,having been Decanted could be disposed of at one's Convenience

CT

It would not require too much effort to modify a Cassette toilet so that most of the Urine content was directed to a a separate Container

The Cassette would last longer and the Urine,having been Decanted could be disposed of at one's Convenience

CT

You could have two loos, one for no 1's only, and second for no 2's.

Unfortunately not suitable for boats at all.

http://www.toiletrevolution.com/wp-content/uploads/Eco-Dry-Manual.pdf

If you look at the low container that may be suitable, not seen measurements tho. As said if you design a container for it you could get it to work.

If I was going to be thinking about a composting toilet I think I would be looking at a vermiculture composting toilet with

urine separation,worms will always get rid of the waste much quicker than just relying the normal composting process

I would use the double block system, they have been used in Australia for a good few years

http://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-and-environment/building-a-vermiculture-compost-toilet-zbcz1501

You could have two loos, one for no 1's only, and second for no 2's.

If you look at the low container that may be suitable, not seen measurements tho. As said if you design a container for it you could get it to work.

It wouldn't work on my boat and I doubt any container could be designed for most canal boats - there's simply not enough room under the toilet. You need a certain depth otherwise the "pile" will soon build up to block the pipe to the container. Anyway is anyone really going to pay £1500 for a toilet and then have to bodge a fix to get it to work? The other thing is that without agitation it's not clear to me how the composting works on that Wostman Eco Dry toilet? Composting requires aeration otherwise it risks becoming anaerobic digestion which is an entirely different thing.

I'm sure a decent looking composting toilet suitable for boats will come onto the market in the next few years, but from what I've seen it hasn't happened yet.

Yes, that was my point.

Which I did understand when you made it. My point was that for most boaters who choose them, composting toilets aren't really about being green.

Edited by blackrose

Hands up how many of you have ever even seen a composting loo never mind used one? thought so apart from Mike and Richard none of you!!! I would never ever go back to a pumpout or cassette loo they are s**t!

My sererate villa is normally emptied every 2 - 3 months the liquid is poured on the grass which it makes nice a green the compost goes to my mates compost heap which the worms love, the system works and works well. If I was out cruising I would dig a hole and bury it safe in the knowledge that in a year it would be gone and the grass would be greener. [ I have tried this so I know I am right]

Its good to know that Dinosaurs still roam the earth as clearly some of the posters on this thread are just that

An exmember with a fat boat on the K&A had one, I saw that, Wandering Snail has one so has Pengalanty so there are a few about and some of us have seen them. How big is the wee tank on your loo?

An exmember with a fat boat on the K&A had one, I saw that, Wandering Snail has one so has Pengalanty so there are a few about and some of us have seen them. How big is the wee tank on your loo?

I'm not even sure if the Separett Villa actually has a liquids container? It's not clear from their website how it works.

http://www.separett.eu/villa-9010-eu

CT

Talk about going around in circles.

You empty your 'convenience' at your 'convenience'

Your 'convenience' is now full again

You now empty your 'convenience' at your 'convenience'

Your 'convenience' is now full again

You now empty your 'convenience' at your 'convenience'

Thanks Robbo, there are some interesting toilets there. I like the Sun Mar and Envirolet but I suspect both would use too much battery power if the boat isn't on mains.

Another option if you have the space is to get a waterless urinal (I know this will only help the male variety here), and go into a pee tank like the compost toilets do. You can use a urine pump if you want a remote tank. This way you will benefit from just emptying the smaller pee tank like you would on a compost loo whilst the vacuum loo tank will last longer. Edited by Robbo

Another option if you have the space is to get a waterless urinal (I know this will only help the male variety here), and go into a pee tank like the compost toilets do. You can use a urine pump if you want a remote tank. This way you will benefit from just emptying the smaller pee tank like you would on a compost loo whilst the vacuum loo tank will last longer.

Did you see the earlier thread on fitting a urinal http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=62036

Anyway whats wrong with an empty Tesco Ashbeck 5l Water bottle, other makes available but check the cap size.

An ex-member who is apparently employing a basic composting toilet system on his CC boat comprising several dozen cardboard boxes full of 'composting' faeces reports that all is going well, though he has had to dispose of at least one of his 'energy-cells' down an Elsan (he is being a bit coy as to why).

He also advises he is working on a 'gassifier' in order to fully reap the rewards of his bravery, though clearly for commercial reasons he is loath to reveal the full design at this stage.

I will report back once he has the necessary designs registered.

An ex-member who is apparently employing a basic composting toilet system on his CC boat comprising several dozen cardboard boxes full of 'composting' faeces reports that all is going well, though he has had to dispose of at least one of his 'energy-cells' down an Elsan (he is being a bit coy as to why).

He also advises he is working on a 'gassifier' in order to fully reap the rewards of his bravery, though clearly for commercial reasons he is loath to reveal the full design at this stage.

Live alone, does he?

Didn'

Didn't Kevin GcCloud make one out of a 45 gallon drum http://www.shropshirestar.com/entertainment/last-nights-tv/2012/10/08/kevin-mcclouds-man-made-home-tv-review/

Also dog poo

• 1 month later...
On 12 February 2017 at 17:16, tomsk said:

It is worth perhaps pointing out that this post is wholly inaccurate and in fact is nothing more than an overspill of a dispute on another forum. (Thunderboat).

further the ex member does not have a right of reply on here because they have had their posting rights revoked.

so it adds nothing factual or constructive to the subject being discussed.

Just now, MJG said:

It is worth perhaps pointing out that this post is wholly inaccurate and in fact is nothing more than an overspill of a dispute on another forum. (Thunderboat).

further the ex member does not have a right of reply on here because they have had their posting rights revoked.

so it adds nothing factual or constructive to the subject being discussed.

Bloomin heck the caravanner has returned!! That cant be right though Martin as there are no other canal forums ontinternet unless ( Thunderboat ) is a caravan forum is it?

• Greenie 1

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Bloomin heck the caravanner has returned!!

You been back a few days, I noticed.

I think Martin has now returned from more flounces that I actually own boats!

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Greenie 2