Safe to moor in Temperley/Sale?

silverlode

Featured Posts

was originally thinking of stopping in Sale to ask if the Cruising Club had any moorings, but I doubt they do :(

A £2 pint will cheer me up.

Any ideas where to find a mooring in Manchester by any chance? Looking like Castlefield is the only option if I can't find a canalside mooring.

You'll be fine moored up along the Sale moorings, lots of boats overnight here and it's very handy for either Brooklands or Sale metro.

Pop in to Sale CC for a pint too, they're open till about half 5 today.

You can get short-term licences for £40/week. Cheap rent if you are working.

Is that something that can be done for several consecutive weeks? I'm worried I'll be stuck when the Rochdale closes for 6 weeks, not sure I have time to move due to long hours at work.

You'll be fine moored up along the Sale moorings, lots of boats overnight here and it's very handy for either Brooklands or Sale metro.

Pop in to Sale CC for a pint too, they're open till about half 5 today.

Ended up outside the King's Ransom in the end - a bit noisy but Sale seems like a nice town! Going to stock up on coal & kindling from Aldi while I'm there...!

Is that something that can be done for several consecutive weeks? I'm worried I'll be stuck when the Rochdale closes for 6 weeks, not sure I have time to move due to long hours at work.

Ended up outside the King's Ransom in the end - a bit noisy but Sale seems like a nice town! Going to stock up on coal & kindling from Aldi while I'm there...!

You may not realise that Liam who posted just before you is based at Sale Cruising Club and can supply you with diesel and coal etc delivered to your boat.

Steve

Yep cheers Steve :)

That could be really handy... how much do you charge? I was only thinking of Aldi because although the quality might not be the best, it's extremely cheap. I know in the long run it makes sense to pay more for better quality coal, and I'd much rather support a local person/business, but right now I have very little money to spare.

As far as I am aware the Rochdale nine locks close next week for 6 weeks.

Steve

Just realised the Manchester 9 have been closed since the beginning of Jan, and will be shut until mid March! Doh!! Castlefield marina it is, then...

The main basin/arm at Castlefield is often chock-a-block with moored boats. There are also the Staffordshire and Kenworthy arms (under the viaducts) which are usually quieter, if you don't mind the sound of frequent trains and trams and on-going construction work in the vicinity!

Edited by Philip

That could be really handy... how much do you charge?/quote]

It depends on which solid fuel you prefer, but ranges from £6.50 to £8.20 - all 20th bags.

I'll next be delivering in Manchester on Saturday 11th Feb.

Liam

That could be really handy... how much do you charge? I was only thinking of Aldi because although the quality might not be the best, it's extremely cheap. I know in the long run it makes sense to pay more for better quality coal, and I'd much rather support a local person/business, but right now I have very little money to spare.

Just realised the Manchester 9 have been closed since the beginning of Jan, and will be shut until mid March! Doh!! Castlefield marina it is, then...

It is probably too late now but Quality Save and Wilko's in Sale also sell coal. I would second the recommendation of Liam though, he keeps most types of coal (and other supplies, it is worth checking his site out) at good prices.

I wonder how Peel and the Bridgewater Canal deal with CRT boats trapped/restricted by stoppages?

Having said that, even if the Leigh branch to Wigan is closed, along with the Rochdale Nine, as far as I know, the canal is open via Preston Brook Tunnel back to the Trent and Mersey.

Although you can't go through the Rochdale Nine you ought to be able to go through the first lock. There were a few boats on that stretch when Peel started tightening up their rules.

During the autumn there was quite a few homeless in tents along that stretch too on the offside. They were moved from their protest camp outside the library. I don't know if they are still there.

Although you can't go through the Rochdale Nine you ought to be able to go through the first lock. There were a few boats on that stretch when Peel started tightening up their rules.

During the autumn there was quite a few homeless in tents along that stretch too on the offside. They were moved from their protest camp outside the library. I don't know if they are still there.

Not somewhere I'd want to moor for even a night really. Castlefield seems to be OK, and our club has a couple of trips a year for a night. I like it.

I was chatting to someone who moors on the Bridgewater on proper moorings.

He was saying that he was surprised that Peel Holdings (or whoever) had reduced the weekly charge to £20 a week. He was considering leaving the mooring and paying the £20 as it was cheaper than the annual mooring cost.

He may have been mistaken though.

He was saying that he was surprised that Peel Holdings (or whoever) had reduced the weekly charge to £20 a week. He was considering leaving the mooring and paying the £20 as it was cheaper than the annual mooring cost.

It's still £40 for a week, but there is also now an option of a 3 day permit which costs £20. This may be where the confusion comes from.

That new housing development on the right, just before the Timperley railway bridge, headed towards Sale? In another life, in the mid 80's to mid 90's, I managed a business in the old Metal Box factory that stood on that site. The only canal hazard that I can relate is the time when a 40 ft articulated lorry headed for our factory tried to negotiate the towpath road past our site to get around the back so as to unload. He was too high, basically, and when the top of his trailer hit the railway bridge, it brought his rig to a shuddering halt, and the trailer keeled over into the canal, followed swiftly by the cab. Cue one panicking driver, frantically trying to break the windscreen to get out, when, with his cab on its side, all he had to do was stand up.

Only one slightly bad experience of this stretch amidst many passages without problem...this was some kids throwing stones, I think in the area around Broadheath Bridge. But this was in the late 90s when most urban stretches of canal spelt potential for trouble. Things have improved hugely in this aspect over the last 20 years. Even the rough part of the Ashton seems to have improved too.

Edited by Philip

Don't know about the price change, but I asked and they don't allow consecutive short term licenses - makes sense really or everyone would do it!

That new housing development on the right, just before the Timperley railway bridge, headed towards Sale? In another life, in the mid 80's to mid 90's, I managed a business in the old Metal Box factory that stood on that site. The only canal hazard that I can relate is the time when a 40 ft articulated lorry headed for our factory tried to negotiate the towpath road past our site to get around the back so as to unload. He was too high, basically, and when the top of his trailer hit the railway bridge, it brought his rig to a shuddering halt, and the trailer keeled over into the canal, followed swiftly by the cab. Cue one panicking driver, frantically trying to break the windscreen to get out, when, with his cab on its side, all he had to do was stand up.

Eek, scary!!

I've gone for a mooring at Castlefield marina, because despite being a bit pricey, it means I can moor anywhere on the canal as the platinum licence is included. Not ideal but it'll do for a bit, and I'll see how I feel when the locks open again :)

Is it a really that much of a bad idea to moor on the bit of Rochdale canal I can get to?? I have a crt license and it seems silly to pay £40/week to Peel (I'm joining the marina in March).

Edited by silverlode

I would imagine that you would be restricted to 14 days only on CaRT waters above the lock.

Steve

Given that there is a stoppage, and her time on the Bridgewater has been used up, would CRT move her on after 14 days?

I've gone for a mooring at Castlefield marina, because despite being a bit pricey, it means I can moor anywhere on the canal as the platinum licence is included. Not ideal but it'll do for a bit, and I'll see how I feel when the locks open again smile.png

How much is a marina mooring for a year? (for how big a boat?)

Given that there is a stoppage, and her time on the Bridgewater has been used up, would CRT move her on after 14 days?

How much is a marina mooring for a year? (for how big a boat?)

It's about £240 per month, mine's 49 foot. But that includes the license and is a residential mooring, which solves lots of problems.