Safe to moor in Temperley/Sale?

silverlode

Featured Posts

Me again.

Just did a bit more nighttime boating, and couldn't face going any further than Timperley due to a bitterly biting wind that's been blowing against me since Preston Brook. I've moored up under a large bridge right next to the metrolink station, and tied the boat to some railings, as the towpath is concrete for a good mile either way!! There are no signs saying no mooring, and no signs about the railings... It'll only be for tonight and possibly tomorrow as I need to be in Manchester for work tomorrow.

It doesn't feel super safe, but it is busy, which is good.

I could possibly set off early tomorrow and get to Sale before heading to work, but I don't know if the mooring situation would be any better near the Sale metrolink. Though I'd feel much better leaving the boat all day if it was properly moored.

I'm here now and I'm not moving tonight, I'm just interested in hearing your views, or experience of the area. Advice is welcome, as always!

Edited by silverlode

You would be better moving to Sale in the morning, there's good moorrings opposite the Station, very safe leaving your boat all day there. Do keep an eye out for Sunny Smith he's a friend of all boaters on the Bridgewater NOT

You will be OK tonight. There is an Indian takeaway just the other side of that office block you are next to. I would move to Sale tomorrow morning simply because its more usual to see boats there.

The towpath isn't really concrete. It was recently widened for cyclists but there's not much depth to it.

So long as you are on the boat and obviously at home when dark, the worst spots are usually safe for short stops, especially when the weather is so bitingly cold.

When you leave for work in the morning, perhaps throw some damp/wet coal on the fire to keep it smoking for a while in the day and leave a radio on if your batteries are up to it.

I don't know the area in question, just saying what I would do in the circumstances.

We are not odd!

A little further along you will find that the grass canal bank reappears. It is safe from where you are as far as Dane Road Station. (Three stops down on the Metrolink). After that I wouldn't moor until you get to Castlefield.

So long as you are on the boat and obviously at home when dark, the worst spots are usually safe for short stops, especially when the weather is so bitingly cold.
When you leave for work in the morning, perhaps throw some damp/wet coal on the fire to keep it smoking for a while in the day and leave a radio on if your batteries are up to it.
I don't know the area in question, just saying what I would do in the circumstances.

I do. I'm 200 yards away sat on my sofa :-)

I only found one mooring in Sale, on the right hand side going north, near the shopping area. I think there are more on the left further up. The one I found was safe, I seem to remember it was by a small park area. Too long ago to be sure I'm afraid.

You would be better moving to Sale in the morning, there's good moorrings opposite the Station, very safe leaving your boat all day there. Do keep an eye out for Sunny Smith he's a friend of all boaters on the Bridgewater NOT

Ok, I'll have a look online and see if it's feasible - might be too exhausted to do much more boating for a few days! Thanks for the info! :)

We are not odd!

Odd is a good thing! Maybe I should've said 'interesting' or 'unusual'... *digs a hole*

;)

Yeah, seems like there's a couple of inches of soft ground but I didn't want to risk it, and didn't really want to risk being far away the metrolink station (I'm feeling lazy after 4 days of tunnels and cold weather!)

Probably a good thing I didn't read about the Indian takeaway until I was showered and in my pyjamas...

Yeah, I figured the same. Plus, I'm right next to Sale Cruising Club, so I'd like to think it was fairly safe/at least kept an eye on.

It is safe from where you are as far as Dane Road Station. (Three stops down on the Metrolink). After that I wouldn't moor until you get to Castlefield.

I'm going to decide in the morning whether to move the boat; it mostly depends on whether it's windy. I've had enough for this week!! If you think it's safe I'll stay here for the day and move on tomorrow evening. I was mostly worried about 'The Authorities' having a problem with me being tied to railings under a bridge... it is a very big bridge; there's plenty of room. I'm in bed and I can hear pigeons.

My destination for now was Stretford, I was told it was really nice! What's your experience of it?

You should be fine where you are in Timperley. You would be equally fine near the bridge by the shops and The Kings Ransome pub in Sale town center, and I am moored on the club moorings opposite the Watch House Cruising Club in Stretford.

The bar at The Watch House in Stretford is open from about 7.30pm Friday and Saturday with last orders at 10.50pm, and plenty of time to drink up :) £2 a pint, £2 for a double scotch, and so on. Truly a cheap night out, only yards from your boat. Plenty of mooring rings from the white railings to the club, and you will see a few boats on the tow path near the club - Old White building. There is a McDonalds a short walk away, and a reasonably big shopping centre a ten/fifteen minute walk. Advert over :)

You should be fine where you are in Timperley. You would be equally fine near the bridge by the shops and The Kings Ransome pub in Sale town center, and I am moored on the club moorings opposite the Watch House Cruising Club in Stretford.

The bar at The Watch House in Stretford is open from about 7.30pm Friday and Saturday with last orders at 10.50pm, and plenty of time to drink up smile.png £2 a pint, £2 for a double scotch, and so on. Truly a cheap night out, only yards from your boat. Plenty of mooring rings from the white railings to the club, and you will see a few boats on the tow path near the club - Old White building. There is a McDonalds a short walk away, and a reasonably big shopping centre a ten/fifteen minute walk. Advert over smile.png

I agree that Timperly/Sale is ok and Sale has the advantage of all the shops and easy access to the Metro if you decide to tram into work. Watchhouse is lovely though and well worth going the extra distance in my opinion :)

No, I am not related to Richard - I just like Watchhouse, particularly at Halloween!

Coooooo

Ah, so it wasn't pigeons in the rafters, it was you!

Thanks guys, didn't move anywhere today as the canal had frozen around me! Tomorrow I'll head for Watch House - was originally thinking of stopping in Sale to ask if the Cruising Club had any moorings, but I doubt they do :(

A £2 pint will cheer me up.

Any ideas where to find a mooring in Manchester by any chance? Looking like Castlefield is the only option if I can't find a canalside mooring.

Edited by silverlode

Mum & dad are moored at Sale Cruising Club and we've moored opposite them on the towpath side with no problems. Theresno guarantees anywhere and trouble can arrive in unexpected locations but you should be fine in Sale.

Look on the Bridgewater Canal Company website and you will find a list of marinas and mooring sites for the Bridgewater Canal.

If you go through the bottom lock of the Rochdale 9 locks then you are back on CaRT waters.

Steve

I already went through the list, unsuccessfully. I just wondered if there were any that aren't listed. Thanks though :)

Mum & dad are moored at Sale Cruising Club and we've moored opposite them on the towpath side with no problems. Theresno guarantees anywhere and trouble can arrive in unexpected locations but you should be fine in Sale.

That's very true, just wondered if there were any notorious spots :) I'll probably move over that way tomorrow evening, thank you, that's good to know! :) Edited by silverlode

The Watch House at Stretford is your last chance really before Manchester centre. It's all a bit industrial after that as you pass through Traffotd Park. There's another tram stop not too far from the Watch House.

Has anyone told you yet that you are actually a guest on the Bridgewater and there is a limit to how long you can stay before buying a licence. You're options are limited because both the Bridgewater and the Rochdale are closed/closing for maintenance.

The Watch House at Stretford is your last chance really before Manchester centre. It's all a bit industrial after that as you pass through Traffotd Park. There's another tram stop not too far from the Watch House.

Has anyone told you yet that you are actually a guest on the Bridgewater and there is a limit to how long you can stay before buying a licence. You're options are limited because both the Bridgewater and the Rochdale are closed/closing for maintenance.

Yes, I'm fully aware I can stay for 7 days. Sorry, hope I didn't offend you by saying it was an odd place! I actually really like it and would love to stay, hence trying to find a mooring! Definitely not trying to avoid paying a license, just in case anyone was wondering! Just seems silly if I won't be there more than a week :) Unfortunately it's not looking likely :(

I didn't go quiet because I was offended. Just a bit busy. I did pop down yesterday lunchtime to see where you were moored. The pigeons would have driven me mad just there. There was another boat moored too but heading in the opposite direction.

Most of the Sale Cruising Club moorings are another bridge along. Where you are is the overflow moorings and where the boaters go to paint their boats under shelter in the summer.