trent & mersey ... how far west in widebeam?

sooty

Featured Posts

Hi, tried the usual sources but cannot find out how far you can take a 10' widebeam (east to west) along the Trent & Mersey canal . I would imagine you can get to mercia marina as they sell widebeams .

Which is the first 'narrow' lock?

Thankyou Steve

Hi Steve, the first narrow lock is in Burton on trent (Dallow lock). You can turn in shobnall basin just before the lock, although I'm not certain what the maximum length for turning is. Maybe someone else will be along to answer that. Take care on some bends as it is rare to see a widebeam other boats might not be expecting you and it can be a bit narrow in places. But a lovely stretch of canal all the same. Enjoy! Dave.

Hi Steve, the first narrow lock is in Burton on trent (Dallow lock). You can turn in shobnall basin just before the lock, although I'm not certain what the maximum length for turning is. Maybe someone else will be along to answer that. Take care on some bends as it is rare to see a widebeam other boats might not be expecting you and it can be a bit narrow in places. But a lovely stretch of canal all the same. Enjoy! Dave.

Not in Shobnall, which is after Dallow lock, you have to turn in Horninglow basin below Dallow.

Good point about the bridge just before Horninglow Basin, it is low.

The other possible issue is, there are permanent moorings in the basin, if all the boats are on their moorings it can be very tight for a wide beam to turn. I've seen one widebeam, about 50ft in length, but nothing bigger. Perhaps someone with a widebeam from Mercia may be able to comment.

The other possible issue is, there are permanent moorings in the basin, if all the boats are on their moorings it can be very tight for a wide beam to turn. I've seen one widebeam, about 50ft in length, but nothing bigger. Perhaps someone with a widebeam from Mercia may be able to comment.

There was a widebeam moored at Horninglow at one stage, but as others have said, winding there might be a problem. I'd only try it in SA (70' narrowboat) if I was desperate. Mercia is your sensible stop and very welcoming, of course.

There was a widebeam moored at Horninglow at one stage, but as others have said, winding there might be a problem. I'd only try it in SA (70' narrowboat) if I was desperate. Mercia is your sensible stop and very welcoming, of course.

the widebeam that was there was lowered in off horninglow bridge as they couldnt get it under the bridge because it had a fixed wheelhouse

if you can get under shardlow road bridge you will be fine and you will have to wind at willington winding hole unless you check by road to see if horninglow has boats missing so you can wind there.

We have winded our pair in Horninglow basin at the water point,do able with care,one of our customers has a 12" wide beam and was there last week. But as others have said air draft can be a problem.